“Good hotel, but needs some improuvment in management” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Conscious Hotel Vondelpark

Save Saved
You added Conscious Hotel Vondelpark to your Saves list
Conscious Hotel Vondelpark
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Overtoom 519-521, 1054 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #80 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ottignies-Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
“Good hotel, but needs some improuvment in management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Hi,

We stayed in this hotel for one night in august 2011. The reservation was made on internet at a good rate (95 Eur for a premium room).

The hotel is very nice. We liked the "green" conept.

2 days before arrival I called the hotel to book a parking place (22,5 EUR for 24h). It's cheaper than parking in the street. The parking is just under tower B of the hotel (back of the hotel). During this phone call they proposed me a room with a balcony as one was still available . When I checked in the room number was scratched on the reservation paper and replaced by another one. When I complained the receptionist discussed with his colleague saying in Dutch that I'ts not there fault if I did not received the room that I ASKED. Saddly for them I understand ducth and stopped them in the conversation to tell that I did not asked for the balcony room and that it had been proposed to me. The guy just said it's collegue should'nt have offered me something thet they did not had. I think they gave the room to someone else and that's all. Not very proffessional.

Check in was a real pain. I never spent that much time checking in... 15 min (not including the balcony room argue).

We paid 10 Eur per person for the breakfast wich is good but nothing special. Choices of food is just ok compared to many other breafast buffet I had in simillar category hotels.
Renewing of the buffet (espacially the hot part: sausages and eggs) is very slow also.

The room are nice. Nice bathroom, Good bedroom size. very minimalist but we liked it.
No airco (but we knew it). I don't found the bed very good. It's not bad but it's a bit soft. I preffer stronger bed. The soap in the douche was empty. They put dispenser wich is "green" but they should at least be sure that it's been refilled.

Not a bad experience... but could have been better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

A stylish hotel with lots of character: it does a good job explaining to you why things are the way they are (eco-friendly), even if the badges are quite in-your-face at times. I can't complain: slept like a saint knowing my stay isn't as hard on the planet as nights in many other hotels. Add to that the nice location next to Vondelpark (although I heartily recommend having bikes to travel around town!), and it's worth picking. For breakfast though go for the Caffe Oslo on the other side of the canal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here in July after we booked to visit Amsterdam for a long weekend. The hotel is very tastefully fitted out, with a contemporary 'green' theme, and the rooms, although fairly basic, provide everything you need for a weekend getaway. The bed was really comfortable, and I especially liked the double shower in the bathroom.

The hotel is located a small distance outside of the main hub of the city centre, but in my opinion this was a blessing in disguise as it meant we got a peaceful sleep each night. There is also the Vondelpark not too far away. The number 1 tram stop is directly outside the main entrance and this runs more or less every 10 minutes into the city centre. You can buy 24/48/72 hour travel cards so this makes the tram a fairly cheap way to get around.

We couldn't fault the hotel staff, all very friendly and willing to help out with any questions or queries.

Room Tip: ask for a room that isn't on the front of the hotel to avoid road noise
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

It was no surprise that this great hotel had great reviews. I was drawn to the eco part and the price. Not right in the centre of things, but with a tram pass, you can easily get anywhere in no time. We got to Amsterdam (jet-lagged) in the morning and were told we couldn't check-in until 2pm. So we had lunch and wandered around a bit, enjoying what there is to enjoy in Amsterday, and returned at 2 to be told we could check in then or wait an additional 30 minutes for an upgraded room. Very glad we waited. We were on the top floor with access to our own private balcony. Beautiful.
My only complaint was that there was no door or curtain to the shower which left quite a wet mess after bathing. Otherwise--great!
If you are a night owl, there isn't a lot to do in vondelpark after about 10pm, and be careful to catch the last tram back or you'' be stucking walking or shelling out for a cab.
Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade if available.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a super hotel. There are fun sayings on each hotel door. Wifi worked reasonably well. They had a breakfast for 10 Euros if you paid for it at check in, 13 Euros later. We opted not to as we are vegetarians and there was mostly meats and breads. The beds are comfortable and the pillows are fluffy. The employees are really friendly. The price for two nights was $285. Nice clean, roomy bathroom. The hotel is easy to find. Take the tram from the train station to Overtoom. I believe it was trams #1 and #2, if I remember right. A nice, comfortable, reasonably affordable hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
west yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Our first trip to Amsterdam, so we didn't know the ropes. The hotel was handy enough, just a 10 mins tram trip into the hustle and bustle and there were two very friendly bars within 400 yards. For a hotel that prides itself on it's green and eco policies, we thought they let themselves down a bit, especially with the flat bottomed sink in the bathroom that required a lot of hot water in it before we could wash and shave. Lighting in the room was overkill for many different moods, and used a lot of electricity if one couldn't decide on a mood and had the lot on! The room was OK for an overnight stay, but anything longer means one is struggling for drawer space to put folded clothes - because there isn't any! But our main gripe was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room, our only option being to use the 24/7 bar at E2.20 for a tea! That's certainly not the way all hotels do it in Amsterdam because we checked. That meant we had to use the lift down and up five floors, so a lot of electricity wasted there too. At E100+ a night room rate, the help yourself breakfast also wasn't up to much, with people often waiting for hot food to appear. CafFe Oslo just over the canal did a great plateful for half the price. Not somewhere we would stay again, but we want to go back to Amsterdam, so maybe we should be prepared to pay a bit more next time.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The hotel is located a few steps from all Amsterdam major attractions, few tourists around! The room are confortable and well equiped. Bathrooms are moderns and functional

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Conscious Hotel Vondelpark? Share your experiences!