“A Favorite” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Noord

You added NH Amsterdam Noord to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Noord
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Distelkade, 21 | Amsterdam North, 1031 XP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Galaxy)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #91 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“A Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

In north Amsterdam. First off, let me say that this is the Hotel that is our crew layover hotel in AMS. That being said, there are a large number of airline crew here, we are generally very respectful of other guests in the hotel.
I have always found this hotel very nice. Rooms are spacious, clean, quiet. There are a number of good restaurants nearby, grocery store close, a free van service down to the AMS central station, a short walk to the free ferry to central downtown. Hotel resaurants are good, reasonably priced.
Overall, a good value.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hainesville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

After a long hard business trip around Europe, I was very pleased to come across the hotel outside of Amsterdam. The train station is a walk away. The rooms have air conditioning (it CAN get hot in Holland during the summer). The food is good. The beer is cold. The service is friendly. And the Wi-Fi worked!!!

As far as the other reviews go... Yes, it's an older hotel, but I didn't find it "smelly". I found the food choices perfectly fine (had breakfast every day, there's room service and you can get food in the bar as well). No, the hotel doesn't have a shuttle, but you can walk to one of two train stations that can take you to the airport for $5!

Oulu, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Do not recommend - avoid if you are in the place to choose something else.
We made our reservation one month before our trip to Amsterdam. The reason to book this hotel was the good parking possibilities it offered.
When we arrived to the hotel the appearance of the building was quite a surprise on the negative side. The professional marketing photos we had seen on Booking.com were nice; the hotel looked new, clean and comfortable. The reality was not that pleasant after all. The colossal, sad building looked like it dated back from the Brezhnevian times in the USSR.
The room we got was hideous. The stench of tobacco in a tiny room was so bad that we immediately demanded a clean room. A cleaner had obviously tried to air the room, a window was wide open, but obviously this was not the cure for the problem. A ridiculous detail was the "100% guaranteed fresh room" tag laying on the bumpy bed of our smelly room.
When we demanded a new room where breathing would be possible and our luggage would stay odorless, unfriendly receptionist replied "sorry, we are fully booked". After we asked a manager to deal with the situation, a guy responsible for the security of the hotel arrived and after a while, promised to arrange a new room and gave us two tickets for free drinks as a compensation.
The new room that was arranged did not smell tobacco. It smelled of incense so bad that I started to sneeze immediately. In fact there was still a piece of an incense on the night table and it had burned a black mark on the table. According to the strength of the smell it had been burned by a cleaning lady just a moment ago before we arrived. I still wonder what was the original odor what was meant to be hidden by this extremely strong oriental smell. We had been driving hundreds of kilometers that day and did not have energy to fight anymore with the NH Galaxy about a decent room. Because of the smell, we had to keep a small window open over a night. In the morning we were completely eaten by tiny mosquitoes that had joined us. I still scratch those extremely itchy stings all over my body. The bed was wide but the pillows were the hardest I've ever come across.
One feature in our miserable stay in the NH Galaxy was good anyhow. The shuttle bus service to the city centrum worked well and all three chauffeur we met there were true professionals and pleasant gentlemen.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I would like to commend the staff at this wonderful hotel. I travel for business weekly and my room is always promptly ready ! Being a light sleeper I prefer a room on the back side of the hotel which is always accommodated. Due to a recent flight delay the staff took the time to locate me to make sure I was aware of the delay. Service like this make a weekly international traveler feel special. I thank Vincent Zuijderhoudt and his staff for making my home away from home the NH. Amsterdam.

Jacqueline Meadows

Marietta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have stayed here several times and I would not recommend this hotel. The best things to be said are 1.it is clean 2. they have bikes which are complimentary for guests.

Food and service are both very poor. Very limited food choices. The immediate area seems to be low income. Hotel does offer a free shuttle to downtown, only a 15 minute ride away. The free ferry to the Central train station/ downtown is only a 10 minute walk away.
They do have the normal amenities of wireless internet, coffee/tea in room, and iron.

Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

As I stayed in this hotel during july I was positively surprised. The ambiance is very relaxed and gave me a home feeling. In the evening we wanted to visit the city to watch the Holland match. The girls in the bar asked us to stay, it was an awesome evening in the hotelbar! What an atmosphere, Dedi and Laura from the bar gave us and many other guests an unforgettable night, with great service. Eventhough it was very busy they kept making an atmosphere you would wish for in every bar. The food was good as well. Rooms were fine, clean and spacious. Definitely a hotel to visit again! Remo

• Stayed July 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Just a quick ferry to downtown Amsterdam. A van is also provided but the ferry gives you the best views. The rooms are fine and have the ammenities you'd expect (iron, mini bar, coffee/tea and wireless internet). The hotel is quiet and the staff is extremely friendly. When you check in, say hello to Nadia, Maria and Vincent. Don't forget the coffee/sandwich bar in the lobby! Naomi makes the best sandwich so ask for her!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to NH Amsterdam Noord? Share your experiences!