“Definitely worth the price - great location/great people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old City Amsterdam Bed & Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Old City Amsterdam Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Old City Amsterdam Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Pieterjacobszoondwarsstraat 11, 1012 HK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #30 of 171 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Albany, New York
“Definitely worth the price - great location/great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just spent the past week in/around Amsterdam and was fortunate find this spot - both because of the B&B and the Damstraat Rent-a-Bike Shop. The two businesses are associated and a stay at the B&B will get you a free bike to use while you're staying there. The folks running the place (Holger, Tomas and Cristina) are first-rate - very helpful, hip and super friendly. I got great tips on bike touring locations and spots to go to in Amsterdam. The B&B is easy to get to from the train stain - straight up Damraak to Dam Square. Dam Square and the surrounding neighborhood is busy, but fun. The B&B is off on a side street and is a lot quieter. (Note that I think B&B stands for Bed & Biking since I don't think there's real breakfast, but you should check on that to be sure). Biking around Amsterdam is really the best once you get the hang of it and it beats walking or trying to use cabs. If you're looking to get to museums, parks, restaurants, or pubs, with a bike the city is very accessible. I didn't use public transport so I don't know about.
Would recommend this place in a heart beat and hope to return in the near future with my family. (If you're looking for a typical full service hotel, this wouldn't fit the bill. The cancellation policy is clear from the outset. There was internet and yes, you will have to climb stairs....)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Mariefred, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a nice B&B in the middle of the city, 15 mins walk to the central railway station, close to the canals, bars, restaurants and the red light district if you're in to that. Surroundings are very touristy so prices are rather high compared to other areas.
My room on the top floor was nice, quiet, had a fridge and a coffee machine, beds were ok (a bit too hard for my taste) and fast wifi :-)
Sort of like living in somebodys home.
No AC but that's not needed except during summer.
Narrow steep stairs - but that's what it's like in these old narrow tall houses, which I prefer compared to boring Intl hotel chains...

Room Tip: Ask for top floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The room was clean, but that all! No A/C, no internet and the room are difficult to reach because of the stairs. The guy at reception was nice. Good location, but not worth it the price. Near to the Dam and also to Red District.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I booked this hotel for 2 nights during this past weekend. I made a stupid mistake because I am travelling to Amsterdam next weekend and got my booking dates mixed up. I didn't find out until after the first night when the booking agent contacted me to inform me of the no show. The hotel have still charged me the full amount for both nights, despite the booking agent and myself contacting the hotel to inform them of the error during the morning after the first booked night. Most hotels cancellation policy is to charge for the first night only in the event of a no show. Whilst I admit to making an idiotic mistake, in all the circumstances I think they have been quite unreasonable and unsympathetic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bergen County, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our under-the-eaves room was freshly-painted, with a snappy modern bathroom. Because of the pre-finished wood flooring, it seemed even cleaner than a carpeted hotel. The gracious owner (and proprietor of the ground-floor bicycle shop) and his partner carried our bags up to our fourth-floor walkup (USA floor count) room (#7 Left - the room locations are not clear on the website.) The hot-water radiators were silent and the thermostat valves worked nicely.

We were issued fluffy but tiny towels and a bar of soap each. We prefer the stand-up shower, and there was plenty of hot water. There was no servicing of the room (maybe they emptied the wastebaskets) during our stay. The room was spacious enough, but could have used white-box IKEA bedtables, matching the decor. We had two well-soundproofed windows, but in the summer, noise might be a problem. We could just hear a rock concert on Dam Square with the windows shut, and one holiday-weekend bar fight. Note that the ritzy NH Krasnapolsky, the nearest mainstream hotel, must be even more exposed to Dam Square noise – but it's air conditioned.

The street outside is literally jammed with tourists and tiny, low-end restaurants that I can't recommend. The cheese shop and René (one “e”) Bakery were nice exceptions. You need René's, because Old Town B&B does not serve breakfast. You do have the use of a huge communal kitchen, with a washing machine (but no dryer, only a shared rack.) Our room had a small refrigerator, a water boiling pot, and a modern “pad” coffee machine. The closest attractive restaurants we saw were on Nieumarkt Square and on Nes, both about four blocks away.

I can't over-emphasize how pleasant and helpful the owner and staff are. After that, this is all about location. But I think I'd prefer a more low-traffic spot next time. We had to stop three blocks away (and one of us stay with the car) to put the suitcases behind the bicycle shop counter until our room was ready. Then we turned in the car.

I think their commercial internet-booking site uses Yield-Management to set the price. Be sure to compare all your options in Amsterdam before buying anyone's room.

Room Tip: The website is not clear enough about room or floor numbers.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ravenna, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed in an apartment and it was comfortable and clean, with private bathroom inside the apartment. Near the apartment there's a Rent a Bike where you can find the owners, nice and friendly. Priceless position very near to Dam Plaza but the room is really quite. The bar at the corner of the street offers good stuff but it's really expensive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had a great experience at the Old City Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast. The staff was great. They gave us an idea of places to go and even better some of the local places to eat which all were awesome. The location could not have been better as it was close to the train station and central to many of the things we wanted to see. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and well worth the price we paid.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Old City Amsterdam Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!