“Lovely meal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mr Tongs

Mr Tongs
Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 119-121, 1017 PZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
Website
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a lovely meal here. Quite expensive but found that about all the Chinese restaurants. We had the Wok deal and it was really lovely.

Visited August 2013

Belgrade
“confused waiter but the food was great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I ate there twice during my stay in Amsterdam in June.
I felt urgent need for something hot, spicey and sweet and for crispy meat.
I saw sign with speical_ Crispy Duck with pancakes, and I took it.
It was great. They also have Chionese beer (not cold enough, though!), and Chinese brandy which was really good - it tasted like honey-brandy. Mead, that is.
Very strong and i Dranki it as digestive with coffee.

When I came in, nobody welcomed me, and I stood for a couple of minutes until the waiter showed me a table. He was cutely confused and distracted.

I noticed that I was the only guest who did not get complimentary rice chips.
Murphy's law again!

The waiter did not understand my inquiry of Chinese brandy, so his colleague, the waitress, came and she found that "Chinese mead" for me. Try this brandy!

I stopped by at the restaurant next day, before Patti Smith´s gig at Paradiso.
This time I received more attention.
The waiters do not speak good English, but they try.

The food is the best thing in this place.

Restroom was small and, hm, not perfectly clean.

However, I can´t help giving this place 5 stars, for I had sensed something genuine Chinese there...

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Frodsham, United Kingdom
“Good Chinese, despite location!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Mr Tongs is surrounded by dodgy looking Italian pizza/pasta joints and more Argentinian steak houses than i have ever seen before - but then again I have never seen one before! This is tourist land and all of these restaurants try and hustle you inside with the promise of this and that and anything else they can think of. We were even subjected to a shout of Asda-Price outside one particularly lousy looking Italian. We were tired and hungry and in a strange town so we took the plunge into Mr Tongs - mainly because no-one was outside hustling!! Nice surroundings and friendly staff put us at ease and what followed was a very good meal which was as good as most of the Chinese restaurants we have been to. Not haute cuisine but good solid cooking with decent produce. Enjoyable.

Visited April 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Food was excellent, service was terrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The food was very very good. the duck was amazing and crunchy. The service seemed a bit arrogant, the waiter's english was poor and it she didn't try too much to explain the menu. Anyhow, we had a very good time because the food is just great.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Basel
“Great crispy duck special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

A colleague and I stumbled across this place and really enjoyed it. The crispy duck, served with scallions, hoisin sauce, and pancakes, is delicious and a very decent deal. My friend had the crispy beef (it was just a very crispy evening) and I had a taste. That was delicious as well. Service was very attentive and helpful. This restaurant turned out to be a lucky choice.

Visited March 2013