My son and I spent 4 nights at the Bayan B&B and enjoyed our stay. First, I deliberately looked for a B&B because I know that most EU hotels have small rooms and are very expensive. Basically, everywhere in Amsterdam is very expensive, so in comparison, it had a reasonable rate (€ 99/night). What I felt was an advantage over a hotel was a spacious, comfortable room with a renovated bathroom. Here are the main points:
- Location was excellent, on the edge of the Jordaan area which is generally more quiet, quaint and charming than other areas. (So glad we stayed in this area after seeing the Central Amsterdam area, mayhem!). This B&B was in walking distance to the Anne Frank House.
- ROOM: The room was spacious, we had room to walk around. Nice furniture & decor. Nice amentities. Bathroom was clean and also spacious. The building is old, as most are in historic Amsterdam, but the owners made renovations. I.E. nice, clean shower, & plumbing fixtures. **Bed is comfortable, firm.
- BREAKFAST: Breakfast was served in our room and was always fresh and plentiful. Eggs, bacon, soft bread w/jams, yogurt, coffee & OJ. The quality far exceeds that of hotel breakfasts, speaking from experience. ***Vicky even provided a lovely cold breakfast in our room the night before our pre-dawn departure.
- SERVICE: Vicky is a gracious, accommodating host and truly makes this B&B special. She is quick to fulfill any needs, but also makes sure you feel you have privacy. ***As we entered the building, Vicky greeted us immediately and effortlessly whisked our very heavy luggage up the steep stairs -- quite impressive.
I felt this property had no real drawbacks. But there are a few points that some might not prefer. That is:
- Steep Stairs: This did not bother us since we know it is common in these historic buildings. But for those who have physical limitations, any B&B in an old building will have this.
- This B&B is located above a small takeout restaurant. Again, this did not bother us since the place below was quiet, not much business happens there. Not a drawback for us, but maybe to some.
- Cash Only: This is the only thing that I wish were different. It is a little inconvenient to travel with a large amount of cash to pay for the room in addition to spending money.
Overall, we enjoyed the privacy, space, comfort and service.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.