I just happened upon this B&B on another website while searching for decent, moderately priced (under 110 Euros) accommodations for a two night trip to Amsterdam with another couple. This two room B&B was brand new having just opened their doors in, I believe it was, April of 2010.
• Great central location for walking to all the sights; the area felt clean and safe with plenty of bars and restaurants right outside the door
• Large new rooms with big comfy beds
• In room kitchenette containing cook top, coffee maker, mini refrigerator, sink and all the kitchen items you’d need with a small dining table.
• Laundry facilities
• Relatively quiet with the windows closed
• Great price (we paid 99 Euros/night) for what you get
• The owner, Monique, was very quick to respond to email inquiries and friendly when we arrived. She was nice enough to let us stay as long as we liked our last day there since the rooms were not rented that evening.
• You could pay 15 Euros/person for breakfast if you wanted it but we chose to grab some danishes at a bakery at the end of the block.
Things to be aware of:
• Cash only payment; a deposit of 25% of our total bill was requested to be wired to the owners account in Euros, which is not a common practice for us in the US and incurs a significant fee. I would have preferred to use a credit card and pay an added fee for the convenience.
• Steep stairs; if you cannot climb the equivalent of a ladder with your luggage, you may have a problem. We were all in our early 30s and pack lightly so this wasn’t a problem, but you definitely wouldn’t want to attempt the stairs if you were intoxicated!
• No hair dryer
• No Air conditioning which wouldn’t be a problem in Amsterdam because it normally doesn’t get that hot, but it was 80 degrees when we were there. Window ventilation would have been fine in the evenings but the bars and restaurants on the street below make that impossible if you have difficulty sleeping in noisy areas.
• Poor lighting in the bathroom make it difficult to put on makeup or shave.
• The mirror in our bathroom (the only one in our whole room) was so high that if you weren’t at least 5’9”, you would not be able to use it unless you were standing on something.
• No full length mirror in our room but I think our friend’s room did have one.
• No sign identifying the B&B, you just had to go off the address; we also had a little difficulty getting to the front door some times due to the sidewalk café tables of the restaurant on the first floor.
All and all the positives out weighed the negatives and I would definitely stay here again if I am ever in Amsterdam.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Special price for January and February!!This is one of two studios I am renting out in the same building. If you are looking for a place for four people this could also be ideal! This studio is located on the second floor of the building and right in the middle of the center of Amsterdam. Just around the corner of the lively part of Amsterdam. Nearby everything in town: museums, shops, clubs, bars and restaurants. Public transport is really around the corner. The central station is 15 minutes walking distance and by tram it will only take you 5 minutes (tram 1, 2 and 5). The famous/oldest cafe in Amsterdam is right in front.The studio is a comfortable place to stay. The beds are heavenly, as you can see in my reviews.What's in the private studio?: • Comfortable double bed • Kitchenette with fridge, tea cooker, Nespresso \ machine • Private shower and toilet • Windows are double, so almost no noise from outside • Free WIFI • Free use of washing machine and dryerOn walking distance of: • The Central Station • The Van Gogh Museum • The Anne Frank House • The Rijksmuseum • The Stedelijk museum • The Hermitage • The Leidseplein • The Rembrandts Plein • The shopping streets: Kalverstraat, Leidsestraat or the "Negen Straatjes" • etc. Etc.Etc.Breakfast can be served upon request for €15 per person per day.USP: Great location, beautiful building, great bed, clean room and a host that does everything in her power to let her guests leave satisfied and xperience a stay in Amsterdam which is above expectations ... more less