“Wish I could give it a better review” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mauro Mansion

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mauro Mansion
You added Mauro Mansion to your Saves list
Geldersekade 16, 1012 BH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast only €5,00
Ranked #3 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
New york
“Wish I could give it a better review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I usually agree with 85% of the reviews in tripadvisor, I have used it to guide me for so many of my trips, including booking a wedding location in Nevis for my husband and I (based on reviews only, never seeing the place). I usually am in complete agreement with other reviewers. I was very excited to come to amsterdam and stay here. Unfortunately, I agree with another recent reviewer that gave this place 3 stars as well...hate to give a place a bad review, but I hope my review helps other travellers and maybe the management to hopefully change some things that were lacking in our visit.

Starting with the positives: central location, close to train station and 10-20 minutes away from most places by foot. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the canal, which had a nice view and our bed was very comfortable. The bathroom floor could be turned on to heat mode, which made it nice after getting out of a shower (our room had a bathtub/shower). The breakfasts were adequate (variety of cold cuts, cereal, bread, yogurt, juice).

Ending with the negatives: As another recent reviewer pointed out, I just felt the owners were not very friendly and appeared for the most part disattached from the guests. Every morning when we came down for breakfast or when we came back in from a day out, we would see one or the other in the lobby and say hello and that was it. No questions or comments on their part about what we were interested in seeing or what we did that day, the usual small talk you have with a host. There was a lack of friendly talking which I usually experience at a B+B. In the morning especially, most hosts will go around the room and check in with guests and make sure breakfast is going okay and just ask about plans for the day. In complete contrast, breakfasts were usually so quiet in the main room, very subdued, people were hardly talking, I felt I had to whisper to my husband as the atmosphere wasn't very lively and happy. There was just such a strange vibe, hard to describe. I felt I was sort of imposing on their home. There was no one ever hanging out in the main lobby, most people seemed to stay in their rooms. When we first checked in, we were just shown to our room and the lobby, no other explanations were given. There was a printed page on the table in our room giving some specifics on the hotel, but I wish one of the hosts had explained certain things about how the place was run. For example, it was an unusually cold march in Amsterdam and because the floors in the rooms are this hard black cement, it was a bit cold barefoot and in the room at night, but once under the covers I was fine. I discovered on our last night there that there was a way to turn the heat on in the room (there was a heater, but the knob was hidden), so it would have been nice if the hosts had given us a tour of our room and explained where things were. Another example was that there was coffee/tea making facilities inside a closet in the room, but because we were only staying 2 days, we didn't unpack our bags and so only on our last day when I was checking to make sure we didn't leave anything behind that I saw that stuff. Again, not a biggie, but usually this stuff would be pointed to us by a more involved host when we were shown our room. As another reviewer pointed out, the towels in the bathroom were small, I was okay, but my husband is 6 foot 2 and the towel when wrapped around his waist made him look like he was wearing a mini skirt. Breakfast was again adequate, but only cold breakfast materials were available, depending on the day, they would bring a small specialty plate (fruit or pancakes in a small plate), but it would have been nice to have a daily hot breakfast plate option (especially in winter time). Breakfast is also only served between 9-11 AM so if you leave our room earlier than that, you won't get breakfast. We had to leave by 8:30 AM on our last day and on our way out we weren't offered anything. On our stay in a B+B in London this same trip, we left even earlier at 7 AM, but our host was up to say good bye and packed us a brown bag with croissants, juice, yogurt for us to have on our train ride, she felt bad we were missing the hot breakfast and wanted to make sure we weren't hungry that morning. It is this small, personal, friendly human touches that I felt were lacking. The B+B home itself is beautiful and the rooms were very nicely decorated, but it felt the overall atmosphere was lacking and definitely worth 5 stars, I felt I could have gotten the same personal touch staying in a hotel. One more thing is if you stay facing the canal, there is noise coming from the street nearby (which runs by the central station) and you will hear an ambulance or car honking when it comes down the street in front of the hotel, I wore ear plugs which helped, but if you are sensitive to noises and want to sleep at night without interrruptions, ask for a room facing the back.

Again, sorry to give a bad review, but in my opinion, I would likely stay at a different location next time I am in amsterdam.

Room Tip: Rooms facing canal have a nice view, but do have street noise even on the 3rd floor. If you are sen...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had a really nice stay at Mauro Mansion. The location was really perfect, you can walk from the central train station in about five minutes to the front door. Ten minutes to Dam Square or the Jordaan. Also some nice restaurants are very close with a lot of variety, several coffee shops around if you're looking to relax a bit. Our room was really cool with a nice view of the canal and interesting antique barber chair in the room. The stocked fridge and honesty bar are nice touches as well.

Room Tip: Room 21 has a nice canal view.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a fantastic place to stay in the centre of Amsterdam within easy reach of just about everywhere you might like to go. Marcel and Berry offer a very warm welcome and lots of frendly and helpful advice on places to visit, good local restaurants etc. We stayed in a ground floor room at the front despite concerns expressed in other reviews about it being noisy but it certainly didn't bother us at all on any of the 3 nights we were there. The room was quirky with an exposed brick wall and a mezzanine floor reached by a metal ladder with it's very own cage! Lovely comfy bed and pillows with lots of nice touches such as complimentary drinks in the fridge on arrival.
If you want to really try hard to find fault, the bath towels are ridiculously small - at these prices either a decent towel or robe is not too much to expect - and the antiquity of the building means the lovely stripped floorboards are very creaky with some large gaps but these 2 little niggles did nothing to detract from a very enjoyable stay. Highly recommended.

Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My hubby and I stayed at Mauro Mansion only 2 nights, a pit stop from Africa before heading back to Canada. I will try not to repeat all the wonderful comments from other Trip Advisor members but this place really does earn its 5 stars. Marcel & Berry are great hosts without being too involved. We had room 31 on the third floor overlooking the canal. Everything you need is in the room and more. I appreciated the welcome note on the bed explaining how Mauro Mansion works and all of its history, really cool! I especially loved the idea of an honesty bar which is always open no matter the hour of the night (if you get the munchies during the night, you can get chips, chocolates, cookies, wine, beer, soft drinks). You leave a note on the desk and it will be added to your final bill and no crazy pumped up prices.

The location is a real plus! To add to another member’s comment, we also took the train from the airport which is much cheaper than a taxi. Since we had been in Africa for several weeks, we had lots of baggage that we did not necessarily need for this leg of our trip so we rented out an extra-large locker at the airport for only 9 Euros per day. Very much worth it if Amsterdam isn’t your full trip, plus the bags would probably not have made it up the stairs at Mauro.

The price is just right, the service is over and beyond and location, location, location! Loved every minute!

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view room at reservation.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect, very central and close to everything and yet still very quiet. The room itself was well appointed with comfortable beds and a great shower! My only criticism regarding the room is that there is no mirror at the desk.
The breakfast was excellent everyday. I found the owners and staff helpful, engaged and attentive. Would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again if we returned to Amsterdam.

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Comfortable bed and breakfast located close to red light district, gay district, central station, attractions, restaurants etc.

The 'mansion' has had a gorgeous fitout with the various rooms. We stayed in a canal room and although roomy, with comfortable beds with outstanding linen quality it had very little to no ventilation ( which is understandable considering the age of the building however be prepared for your room to smell for a few hours after someone has been to do their morning business).

We really wanted to love this place but the owners create this strange, uninviting vibe and although they didn't go out of their way to make us feel unwelcome, in no way were they welcoming at all.

Think more - you are staying in our house, 'be good!' Rather than you are staying in our house (and paying us), 'welcome!'. That's not to say the service was not there, everything we wanted was done, every bit of breakfast was there all with top quality ingredients etc. It's the smile that should have accompanied the service that was missing - as though we were a burden on them rather than their guests.

It was our second stay in Amsterdam and we will likely stay elsewhere when we next return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

ROOMS: We were situated in room 21, which is on level 2. The hotel is rated number one on trip advisor and I can see why. The place is funky and awesome. Our room was spacious, and had a very funky, Amsterdam feel. There was a old barbers chair as a lounge seat, and vintage cupboards. Nicely decorated with a ladder in the room, and some paintings. There is enough space to use as a workdesk, which is next to the floor to ceiling oil heater which can heat the room quite quickly. Our room was a canal room, with a view onto the beautiful canal, and this is a great room to be in. The bathroom is smallish, and perfectly adequate for daily use. (We moved for our last night due to availability to a level 1 room, and this had a proper shower, not a bath/shower). The bed is comfy and large, and has a large mosquito net above. Apparently mosquitos are a problem, but we didn’t really get affected by them and didn’t use it after the first night. Street noise is minimal which was a pleasant surprise. There really isn’t anything bad to say about the room. Its funky, and that’s what we expected from the reviews and photos online. Its not the same as a Hyatt or W hotel, but its perfect for the ambiance of Amsterdam.

LOCATION: The location is fantastic - really close to the main “red light district” but then not too close. Its about a 5-10 minute walk. Go and get a town bike for 10 euros a day from central station and get around that way. It's easiest and best. (They don’t allow insurance on tandems at Mac Bikes which is weird) The train to Shirpool Airport leaves almost every 15 minutes from platform 14 and costs Euro4.40 per person. Much better value than a 50 euro cab ride and only takes 16 minutes to get there. Everything worth seeing in Amsterdam city is accessible by bike and you do not need to be fit to get there. Bike paths are really quite good and bikes do seem to have right of way a lot of the time. Stick to the right and you'll be fine.

SERVICE and SERVICES: excellent service throughout with absolutely nothing to complain about. Everything was easy and they really made us feel welcome. Almost like we were guests of their own house. We were very happy with all aspects of the service here. Wifi free (Although does drop out a bit). The hotel has 3 levels. The stairs are quite steep. Ladies will need help with their luggage. There are only 9 rooms there so make sure you book. Breakfast is included. DVDs aplenty and an excellent array of wines and snacks on offer in the 'lobby' area in an honesty system. They are extremely well priced beers, snacks and wines. We didn't use it but it looked very inviting. The place is secure with electronic locks and deadbolts so we felt all of our gear was safe at all times. There is a safe in each room.

WHY SO SPECIAL: well, it's like all boutique hotels in that its small, unique in every room and has other 'homely' comforts while remaining professional and well equipped. Great location and excellent service round off a perfect stay in Amsterdam

Don't skip breakfast. It's great!
Canal rooms are great if you can get it.

(Recent stays - Hotel Leonardo, Antwerp; B2 Boutique Hotel, Zurich; Town Hall Hotel, London; Holiday Inn, London; Novotel, York. L'hotel Imperial Palace, Annecy)

Room Tip: Canal rooms have the best view