“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mauro Mansion

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mauro Mansion
You added Mauro Mansion to your Saves list
Geldersekade 16, 1012 BH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast only €5,00
Ranked #3 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Staten Island, New York
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed here in the begining of November 2011 with my girl. I really liked the hotel. I stayed on the ground floor and the room was big, and very clean. The room was quiet and I liked the idea of staying in a canal house. The owners were very nice and helpful, and had fastpasses for the different museums to skip the lines. I read a review on trip advisor where someone did not like the shower. I really liked the shower, the water is not trickling out, it is comming out with force. Another reviewer did not like the bed, I thought the bed was ok. The bed was not a 3,000 euro bed. A bed is an individual thing, some people will like it others wont. In certain spots on the bed I could feel a few springs. I would not have that bed at home, but for a few nights it is ok. Overall, I agree with this hotels high rating on Trip Advisor and recommend this hotel. If I go back to Amsterdam I will try to stay at this hotel. I have stayed at other hotels in Amsterdam including the Amrath, Radisson, Bellevue, and the Sofihotel when it was another name. Out of the four hotels I stayed at in Amsterdam I would rank the Mauro Mansion in the number one slot, followed by the Amrath. The room in the Amrath I thought was alittle small, but was still a very good hotel. I did not like the Radisson or the Bellevue and would not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My partner and I have just got back from a 2 night stay at Mauro Mansion, and what a lovely hotel it was. Very shabby chic and friendly. Breakfast was included and it was great. We had a room with a canal view which was lovely.. I honestly could not reccomend this hotel enough, perfect location and staff were soooo friendly! 100% would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We spent a long weekend at the Mauro Mansion with friends, a couple of whom had never been to Amsterdam before and are more used to big chain hotels. We were all delighted with Mauro Mansion - it's convenient to the station and the centre, the service from Berry and Marcel was excellent and being able to come back in the evening for a coffee or drinks from the honesty bar was the icing on the cake. Between us we had four rooms, all different and individual - the rooms around the courtyard had the more interesting features from the hotel's previous life, but the canal view rooms have the better view and are lighter. The stairs are typically Dutch - steep, narrow and curving - and there's no lift. It's a long way to the top floor, but they carried our bags up to the rooms when we arrived. Do ask Berry and Marcel to recommend places to eat - they recomended three different restaurants that I would never of thought of going to (and I used to live in Holland, and visit Amsterdam a lot) - all excellent. We'll definitely be back - Mauro Mansion captures the spirit of Amsterdam in so many ways, so much more enjoyable and far better value than one of the big chains.

Room Tip: Go for a canal view room if you can.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Fantastic hotel!!! Great location, really nice and large rooms and a lovely breakfast. Stayed there a couple of times and I'm always enjoying my time..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Perhaps this hotel receives such great ratings because it is a good value. The price is hard to beat and the rooms large and comfortable. However, I am willing to bet that very few if any of the reviewers had our room. We were on the second floor and our room had no view to the outside- just a large window looking into a small (about 10 to 12 feet in diameter) central courtyard. Due to the lights at night we had to draw the curtains, which made it very stuffy as only one small window in the wall of windows actually opened. Also, the courtyard is where guests and employees had their cigarette breaks, so the smoke rose directly into our room. Also, only the rooms with canal views are air conditioned, which I did not understand from the website.

I agree the owners were nice and helpful, but the breakfast was just O.K. Two mornings we had toast and cappuccino, but one morning the cappuccino maker was broken. There was a yogurt cup one morning which we really enjoyed.

I doubt we would stay there again, but the entire experience would probably have been much better in one of the outside air conditioned rooms with a view.

Room Tip: Only stay in rooms with canal or street views
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa,On
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at Mauro in late September. Other reviewers have done a great job describing the location, professionalism of the owners,the breakfasts and other details. We arrived just before 9 AM very tired after a transatlantic flight,and were told that our room would be ready 2 hours later. Welcome news! And it was. What I liked the best was the "honesty bar", the availability of great coffee all day in the common area,and the breakfast treats that Marcel prepared every day.

Thank you Berry and Marcel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I agree with previous reviews as this was an ideal place to stay. Great location and very clean hotel. I would add that the area around Mauro Mansion has a lot of bars and restaurants, too. It is very close to the red light district, but I still felt very safe. My husband and I actually found lots of great little bars within the neighborhood and had a fun time.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple