“Comfortable Hotel in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 25%, Book in Advance
Ranked #112 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Comfortable Hotel in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

We found this hotel through last minute deals and decided to splurge on a non-typical European hotel for the last three nights of our 16 day honeymoon. First of all, for a five star hotel, we expected a lot so we may be a bit more critical than we would be for a 3 star but that being said, the hotel in general was very comfortable. It is not near the main hubs of Amsterdam but we didn't mind taking the tram and having to walk. We were adventuresome when we arrived and rather than take the 35 euro taxi from the Central train station, we finally found the right tram (number 24) and rode to the Apollean stop. We had to ask for directions and then walk for about 10 minutes but did arrive for only 5.60 euro for both! (Would be a nightmare if you had a lot of luggage!)

Our room was very good size, a nice bed and very clean! We had read about old rooms verses newly decorated and frankly, I am not sure what ours was. There was purple everywhere - carpet, paneling, paint but it wasn't obnoxious--again, very clean and very large compared to everything else on our trip. It felt like an American hotel in Amsterdam.

Here are the minor complaints. We would expect a five star hotel to replenish the shampoo/body wash stuff every day. They didn't and by day 3, they were gone. Although they provided a nice tea pot, after day 1, they did not replenish the creamer or the sugar--and only one tea bag the last day. I hated the pillows - too bulky and huge but hubby liked them. Also, the internet was an issue. Only one device can be used per room and we were advised that they were beginning to charge starting November 22. Again, a 5 star, one would think, would provide free internet services. Note of caution: if the shower head sprays on the small glass door, you can have a minor bathroom flood!

Our room deal included the breakfast buffet and when we went to check in, I mentioned this to the desk person who looked very skeptical. I pulled out my iPad, showed him the reservation confirmation from Last Minute, which he then had to take to show his manager. She then confirmed that it was included but we felt like we would not have been "believed" had I not had the iPad confirmation.

The breakfast buffet was FANTASTIC! There is so much food, the service was outstanding and it really was great to have this to start our three days. Our flight left early on the last day so we had to be there right at 630 and eat fast but the staff was accommodating and we were really glad to have the option.

Wyndham Apollo is a nice place, not a typical European joint at all but after a long trip, we were pleased to have the comforts at the end of our honeymoon. I don't know that I would stay there if I didn't have a great rate that included breakfast...but it was clean, relaxing and perfect of us---this time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
ApolloAmsterdam, Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Ballings,

First of all, congratulations on your wedding and thank you for your review!
We are happy to hear your overall stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam was to your satisfaction. We regret to hear that there were some services that were not up to our usual 4-star standards; therefore we very much appreciate your remarks so we may take direct measures to improve on these in order to enhance the stay of our guests.
Regarding our breakfast buffet, we have recently changed some things in the set-up and assortment, and we are happy to hear this has been a positive change. We hope we may welcome you again in our hotel.

Hotelmanager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

Stayed at this hotel from Friday - Monday at the beginning of Nov. This hotel is lovely on the outside and inside, but the location isn't near the city centre. Room was nice and big for 2 of us, so no complaints there. Closest tram/bus to city is a 10 min walk. We were lucky to book this as a secret hotel so got a cheap rate (£200 for 3 nights). Also the internet is extremely pricy as I was quoted one price, but the information was wrong. Only use if you need it urgently!

After I returned home after this trip, I was very unimpressed realised the hotel was holding £200 which was for 'incidentals' which I wasn't told about up front. The money was being frozen in my bank account, so I called the hotel directly (on the Tuesday) and spoke to the Finance department who didn't really show any empathy but assisted with the situation. By Thursday the money was still not there, and I contacted the hotel again. Luckily by Monday my money was there, however based on this experience I don't think I would stay here again. If I was informed beforehand that this money would be on 'hold' I wouldnt have any isses, but the fact that money was missing and it took almost 1 week to be reconciled concerns me.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review and for taking the time to remark on your stay as this allows us to continue improving our level of service. We apologize for the fact the £ 200 hold wasn’t mentioned during check-in. In The Netherlands, hotels have the right to keep a hold on this deposit for one week. We have taken direct measures and our Front Office staff will mention this during check-in. We do apologize for the inconveniences caused and hope we may welcome you again in our hotel.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Wyndham Apollo - noisy, very expensive for what little you get, small rooms, long way out of the centre, no bath robes in the "executive rooms", very lilac standard rooms, erratic hot water (ie none after I had put my conditioner on...) and heating (ie freezing in the afternoon and very hot at night), shower screen lets water go all over the bathroom, inflexible staff - hotel bar closes at 1am regardless of how many rooms are booked/people would like a drink, mediocre breakfast with cold scrambled eggs even though they had just been brought from the kitchen/ no fresh milk for tea despite asking 3 times; I could go on.
Even though the bar area looks good do not be fooled - avoid this hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review. We are sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We thank you for taking the time to remark on your stay as this allows us to continue improving our level of service. We have taken direct measures to improve our service level and we do apologize for the inconveniences caused.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I was unfortunately to receive a "normal" room (for a very very expensive rate)... And believe me the room felt it was coming straight from the seventies! All worn out and terribly sad. I would've been fine if it was an hotel under 60 euros a night but it was over 200 euros a night so I was extremely disappointed.
Front desk and bar staff were extremely cold, if not even rude! Actually I've never been in an hotel with so much rude staff, and I visit nearly 50 a year!
So, if you're in Amsterdam, go someplace else!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Dear Mr. Maast,

Thank you very much for your review. We are sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We thank you for taking the time to remark on your stay as this allows us to continue improving our level of service. We have taken direct measures to improve our service level and we do apologise for the inconveniences caused. We hope we may welcome you again in our hotel.

Chicago / London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This is an OK corporate-type hotel with clean, good-size rooms, and a fairly good location (still a 20 minute walk to City Center), but poor management killed the deal for us. We had one small problem after another, (eg no ventilation, keys didn't work, housekeeping 'forgot' our room, etc) and at no point did the hotel offer to 'make things right' for us. Internet is complete rip-off and there is no way to print your boarding pass or anything else while there. My best advice is take this hotel only in a pinch - and know what you are getting. The upside: Amsterdam is a great city!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Our Chicago tour group landed in Amsterdam at 7:00 AM after a long direct flight. We were exhausted and eager to get into our rooms to freshen up and/or nap. But we were told that check-in time was an inflexible 3:00 PM and that we should "walk around the City" for six hours, until our rooms were ready.

A few of us almost collapsed at this news. Some had made prior arrangements to see the Anne Frank House and so they were able to make use of the time. However most of us felt at loose ends. We were told we were not entitled to the free breakfast on this first day of our stay (although the ample breakfast buffet was included for subsequent days). We went into the adjunct dining room, hoping we could get a coffee and a roll, something to enliven us a little. There, the very supercillious maitre de informed us that we had to order a minimum of $10 E. per person - the price of a croissant and a demitasse of coffee. This self-important overseer of the dining area later warmed up to us though and allowed us to spend just $10 E per table rather than per person. He became generally more affable.

But this did little to buck us up. After the croissant and coffee, most of us wandered, fatigued and droopy to the nth degree. Since the Hotel is far on the outskirts of Amsterdam, it was difficult to walk to the downtown area, although some connections with public transit were available within a few blocks.

We made the best of it, trudging around town, getting as far as the Concert Hall and the Van Gogh Museum in central Amsterdam - although we were far too tired to take in either of these. We got back to the Hotel early and hung around the lobby until our rooms were ready.

Then, when I REALLY needed to rest, I found I had another time-consuming ordeal ahead of me. My roommate and I found that we had been assigned a room with a single, very constricted bed. Since she and I were virtual strangers to each other, this seemed like it would crowd us into an unacceptable level of togetherness. We asked to be transferred to a room with twin beds.

This caused a lengthy further delay. We were finally accommodated in what the hotel concierge said was the Hotel's "last room with twin beds." So we had to make do. But again, we found the situation less than ideal. By "twin," this Hotel meant beds considerally narrower than what the average American considers a "twin." Although the beds were clean and the mattresses comfortable enough, these beds were more the size of Army cots. In her deep sleep, my roommate rolled clear out of her bed and crashed to the floor in the middle of our first night there. Luckily, she didn't injure herself.

Then, we couldn't fathom the shower. It was an odd arrangement with a partially-bending plexiglass screen covering half the tub. This screen just seemed to serve to deflect the water all over the floors and ceiling of the entire bathroom. So we had to mop up before we could finally, finally get into bed.

There were positives about the Hotel though. Almost all the staff members spoke perfect English, and they were very friendly and accommodating when it came to helping us make up for any lapses in our packing. For example, my roommate had not brought the proper converters or transformers to make her curling irons work. The Hotel brought up the proper additional equipment on loan - in the middle of the night and at dawn again, without even requesting a deposit from her.

The Hotel was in a nice setting. Its back door and patio overlooked one of the loveliest turns in Amsterdam's canal systems. The wharf adjacent to the Hotel was blooming with red geraniums. In the front of the Hotel, in its parking lot, there was a lovely oasis that included a pond stocked with a variety of interesting fish. This parkland oasis included a bench where the weary traveler could rest and relax.

Then when we were allowed the free breakfast the next morning, we found it to be sumptuous and delicious - with an unlimited supply of American-style coffee available. There was one omission on their buffet breakfast menu though. When a member of our group asked for "oatmeal" - the server looked perplexed and finally, apparently having misunderstood, brought her a pitcher of "hot milk." It was the only lapse in communication we experienced while we were there.

Overall, our experience here wasn't too bad, but it was difficult to make up for that rocky first day.

• Stayed September 2010
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stayed here for 2 days, liked my stay, nice rooms, location and connections by tram.

However, I was surprised with the way the attached toilets of the rooms are designed. I found it VERY BADLY designed and one has to be very careful especially to get in and out of the shower... senior citizens beware...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!