“Delightful, Daft and Dutch” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 25%, Book in Advance
Ranked #117 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Delightful, Daft and Dutch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is a delightful hotel to stay in, though the architecture is a bit daft in my view, being built in almost a semi circle on the ground floor, making it slightly odd.....but never mind. This hotel is right on the canals...actually a junction of 3 canals meet making for a real Dutch setting. Breakfast by the canal is lovely. The hotel is not city centre but is in a very pleasant neighbourhood that is quite residential. Restaurants are about 10 minutes gentle walk away as is the tram stop...with a frequent service to the city centre. The rooms are very nice and well appointed. The staff are very helpful and very friendly indeed. My only concern is the showers tend to flood the bathroom floor.

Room Tip: 6th floor facing the front is a good choice for a nice view over the city and canal.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear davepat77,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel.

The comments about the view and the location of the hotel made me smile and I can only agree on that point. The view on the canals gives us every day a living painting.
We always try to make every stay a memorable stay! I am so happy to read you are very impressed with the hotel and the staff!

Your comment about the shower has been discussed and and directly improved where possible.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon!

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a 2 night break at Wyndham Apollo. I was a little disappointed to find our room (32) was on the ground floor right next to lifts but once we got into the room it was modern, clean and noise from the lifts was minimal. The shower head was placed in a rather unusual place meaning you had to stand right in the corner of the bath to avoid drenching the floor (my partner learnt this the hard way and on our first night managed to leave about an inch of water on the bathroom floor!). The door handle to the bathroom was also quite loose and wouldn't allow you to shut the door. This was fine for us but I'm not sure everyone would be comfortable with sharing a room where the bathroom door doesn't close! We also found the bed quite hard and woke up aching like we'd slept on wooden boards.
However, I can't fault the reception staff. They were very helpful at check in and also storing out bags and booking the shuttle for the airport. The shuttle was very convenient and saved us heading back into the centre to catch the train. We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that but we saw the price and thought that was expensive.
Overall I think that the hotel is getting there, but just needs a bit more TLC.

Lahti
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hotel is located nicely and tram lines 5 and 24 stop is nearby and takes you to the city center and to all main attractions easy.
Breakfast was also very good at the hotel and you can even sit outside by the marina and enjoy eh morning and breakfast on the terrace.

Parking was quite expensive - 30 EUR / day. But i guess that is about the normal rate in Amsterdam.
Free WiFi was working very well.

There was one unpleasant surprise. When checking my credit card bill after the trip I noticed the hotel had charged something from the minibar, even if I told the receptionist we had not used the minibar during our stay - that's why I give just three points on the service

Room Tip: We had room 634, which is an executive room with canal view and on the top floor. We thought it woul...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear sir/madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us. I'm delighted to read your positive comments on Tripadvisor.

The fee to park your car is in line with the parking fees in the neighborhood. The hotel offers parking for €4 per hour with a maximum of €35 per 24 hours. The concierge department is more than welcome to inform you about all other parking facilities in the near surrounding (distance and prices). Please contact the concierge department for your next visit.

I am very sorry to hear about the mini bar charge. If you will contact our front desk at 0031-20 6735 922 we will be happy to refund the charge. My sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

We do hope to get the chance to welcome you back as our guest in the near future.

Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Just got back from a stay in the Wyndham Apollo and really enjoyed it. We had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the river with great views over Amsterdam. Room was modern, spacious, clean and really comfortable with all the facilities you would expect nowadays and free wifi throughout also thrown in too. I guess if I was being picky it would have been nice if the hotel was a bit closer to tram stops and more in the centre as you do have to walk 10-15 mins to the nearest line which will take then take you on to the centre of Amsterdam. This takes another 20-25 mins. The hotel however is in a nice quiet location so ideal for getting away from the hustle and bustle. Worth mentioning they also run a shuttle service to the airport. It cost us 7 euros each to get back and was worth every penny as it took the stress out of carrying out luggage across the city and getting a train.

Tartasesti
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Very good services and excellent location!
My only comment would be that the equipment and style of the hotel is not very uptodate, but that was my first trip to Amsterdam, so I don't have much to compare.
I would come back to Wyndham next time too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Mr. Florin T,

I would like to inform you about the updating of the rooms, we have recently renovated a part of the hotel and in the near future we are renovating the rest of the hotel.

We are looking forward welcoming you upon a future stay in Amsterdam!

Powder Springs, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The kingsize suite 108 is a great room! You overlook the canal outside your room. Very quiet room. The staff is the main reason to return, from the bell hop to the bartender. Very classy and professional.

Room Tip: First floor rooms on the canal side
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear mrs. Cmp1130,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. We will share your lovely comments about the staff with them. It is our passion to deliver the best possible service every day again and guest compliments are the best motivation to strive to improve continuously.

We hope to welcome you again soon at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam!

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!