“Good location, Friendly and helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 25%, Book in Advance
Ranked #114 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, Friendly and helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Ok, so I will write an honest review of this hotel and Amsterdam in general.

We are a couple aged 35-45 years old who like night life, eating out and seeing the sights. We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of May 2014 and we were very happy there.

It was out first time in Amsterdam and wanted a hotel that was not in the city centre but not too far. This location is ideal for that. The tram is a 5-10 min walk from the hotel and it takes roughly 25 mins to get into the city centre. We bought a 2 day tram pass which was the most cost effective, you have to swipe it when you get on and swipe when you get off. Easy !

There is a lovely market that sells clothing, fruit and veg, food, toiletries, cheese, souvenirs and there are coffee shops where you can have a hot / cold drink. They are open every day and only sometimes on Sundays. It is about a 30 min walk from the hotel and I really recommend it as you will experience a typical day in Amsterdam outside the centre. Lots of local people. The hotel is also within walking distance to Van Gough museum.

The people on Reception all speak English and are extremely friendly, helpful, warm and welcoming. I emailed a few days prior to arriving requesting a room with a canal view. They emailed back saying that they would put the request through but could not promise. I also asked about transfers, stated our arrival time etc and was told that you get the tickets at the airport and there is a shuttle service available.

When we arrived at Schipol Airport at 10.45am we waited at the correct pick up point for nearly an hour. On the board it said they collect at 9, 10, 11am and 5, 6 and 7pm. The 11am collection did not arrive and after waiting and waiting we telephoned the hotel who informed that the last shuttle was at 10.30am !! I was not too happy about this. Off we went inside the airport to arrange the transfer which cost 17 euros per person. We could have got the tram and train for slightly cheaper but we did not want the hassle.

Checking in was quick and easy. We were given the wi fi details and were indeed given a room with a canal view but there was also a view of the Shell petrol station !! Handy to pop in and purchase some drinks and snacks !! Remember that you have to give a credit card and they will debit £100 to cover any damage to the room, when you check out, the money will be credited back to your card minus £5 per person for city tax. We used a debit card and was given £90 back in cash. The hotel on entry looks lovely, but there is a corridor that is much more modern and contemporary with black and white carpet compared to the other side of the hotel. There is a lovely outdoor area where you can dine right next to the canal. I understand it is around 35 euros to eat buffet style. We did not eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on the food.

There is a business centre, a room with 2 computers, this is where I was able to do online check in with the airline and print out boarding passes. Very good.

The heating in our room was not working properly, I was cold so I phoned reception and they immediately brought a heater. I was very impressed. The beds are super comfortable. Rooms are spacious. Bathroom clean and lovely. Beds were made, room cleaned every day, fresh towels. Excellent.

There are places to eat near the hotel but as we spent a lot of time in the Red Light District ( lots of ladies in the windows ) we usually ate there. I must say, we found it very hard to find nice restaurants. You will find lots of fast food like, burger and chips, pizza, pasta, Mc Donald's etc.

The hotel arranged our transfer back to the airport which cost 35 euros. A member of staff took us there himself, nice man, very friendly. We checked out at 12 noon, as specified. Our flight back to London was at 10pm, the hotel kept our rucksacks so that we could enjoy our last day without having to drag our bags around.

The reason why I have not given 5 is because of the miscommunication with the transfers and the view of the petrol station. Other than this, we were extremely happy with our stay.

In summary, Amsterdam is a lovely city. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location, hospitality and spacious rooms.

Thank you to all the staff.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Nicola B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review!

It is correct indeed that the hotel is partly renovated. We have recently renovated a part of the hotel and in the near future we are renovating the rest of the hotel.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not get the correct information about the departure times. My sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Again thank you so much for your wonderful review, I will pass on your words to the team.

I hope to welcome you again in the near future, so we can assist you again in making your journey a success.

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here for two nights. A great location and above all wonderful Staff- who could not do enough. Breakfast a bit steep at €22.50 but a great selection of fresh food.
This a great Business Hotel and very close to the RAI

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Kinnity,

Thank you so much for leaving a review about your stay at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel. I have just read your review and I would like to thank you for your kind and enthusiastic words. We are very happy to get 5 out of 5 bullets!

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to welcome you back very soon!

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Pretty average low speck 4 star hotel, with particularily large rooms for Amsterdam. But its the slow internet, the dirty bathroom, small beds pushed together to make a 'double' and the overpriced water that make the hotel stay a little painful. Large hotel, you'd expect higher standards.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Chrisonderstall,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your feedback is very important to the hotel to improve our product and the service.

I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet up to your expectations. The handling Manager on Duty who was responsible during your stay have send you a personal e-mail to further discuss this matter.

I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay, and I hope we can restore your faith with us during your next stay at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed here on business - and I was unlucky as I fused the electric circuit in my room - although it was fixed it continued to trip and as this was overnight there weren't people around who could sort it so it rather spoilt the experience. Yet the staff did their best

However the food was fine and the breakfast and lunch choices generous and the staff who waited on our meeting rooms very helpful.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the canal (not the car park!)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear HT1359,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and your information will be used to improve our service and product.
I am very sorry to hear that the electronic circuit did not work properly in your room. I will definitely discuss this with our technical department.

The staff will be informed about your compliment, that will give them a good motivation to keep up the good work.

I hope to welcome you again soon at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel is very nice, modern, clean, and a great location overlooking one of the many canals. The front desk staff and various concierge staff were very nice and eager to help us. This is not a downtown location, and it is not walking distance to downtown but easy to take the tram or a taxi there. The quality of the food at the restaurant was very good, and the breakfast buffet was among the best I've had in any European hotel. However... the restaurant and bar service staff were awful - took forever to get a drink and to get our dinner (the place was nearly empty), and the wait staff for the breakfast buffet was so bad - tables were not cleared off so there was no where to sit, and when we finally did get a seat we had to wait forever (or at least it felt that way) to get a pot of coffee.

Room Tip: They have rooms with a view of the canal and rooms with a street view (choose based on price).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear TheATLPrinces,

Thank you for taking the time writing a review. We are always happy to help you with all your questions and requests during your stay, we are glad you have enjoyed the service from our staff.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed the food which was served at the restaurant, however I am very disappointed to hear that your experience with the restaurant staff did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I hope that we may welcome you back one day.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very nice hotel and super helpful staff.
The parking was 35 euros a day apart from Sunday though, not horrendous but can soon add up. I would recommend this hotel to a friend and may well book it up when I next pop over to the Dam.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bigal6660,

Thank you very much for your nice review.

I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

The fee to park your car is in line with the parking fees in the neighborhood. The hotel offers parking for €4 per hour with a maximum of €35 per 24 hours.

It is so good to hear that you would recommend our hotel to others!

Thank you so much for your stay with us.

Imre Heijboer- General Manager
Guimaraes, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Excelent views the amesterdam canals.
Fantastic breakfast with delicious chocolate muffins, sublime oranje juice, excelente variety of fruit allowing the breakfast to be healthy and at the same time really enjoyable.
Very comfortable rooms and very quiet atmosphere.
I had a great time.

Dear RitaBapti,

Starting the day with a healthy breakfast is a good start of the day, especially when you have a nice view on the canals around our hotel.

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!