“3 nights in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #113 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“3 nights in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

First time in Amsterdam and would certainly go back and base myself at the Wyndham Apollo. Nice, clean hotel with pleasant staff. Not the cheapest of places but I've been there and done that and have learnt from my mistakes. Breakfast not automatically included and a little expensive, although worth going for as it is so convenient, with sufficient choice and quantity to satisfy the majority. This set me up for the day ahead. Getting there was easy enough on train and tram. Unfortunately the airport shuttle runs at limited times. If this was available throughout the day including weekends it may attract more people to the hotel, as public transport is not for everyone. I enjoyed the experience however if it had not been for a previous review detailing where the ticket offices were, which tram to get, where to get off and walk it may have been different. Perhsps the hotel could include more details within there site? Great views across the junction of 5 canals from my room and during breakfast.The hotel is situated approx. 15 minutes from Centraal station on the tram, 5 minute's from the museums. Good peaceful location away from the busy streets in the toufist areas. I would certainly return.

Room Tip: Business suites have a bit more room and overlook the canals.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear John K,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us. I'm delighted to read your positive comments on Tripadvisor!

The canal view from our hotel rooms and La Sirène is wonderful indeed. The view on the canals reflects the typical Amsterdam surrounding.

We will definitely discuss your idea about the information given on the website about public transportation. Thank you for the great tip!

I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam upon a future visit to Amsterdam.

678 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Nice hotel in overall. We did not book the breakfast, however, we did eat dinner at the hotel restaurant. It was rubbish, over priced is an understatement. Maybe I did not do my homework, but you pay a tax to stay at a hotel in The Netherlands, so the price was €30 more than the room rate. And these €50 was just taken from my card, without any notice. Not cool man. The cleaning was nice. 5 min from the tram, and the tram connects you to the whole city. I would recommend you to take a cab from the airport to the hotel since the price is max €40 and if you take the train is approx the same if you are two.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Madeleine,

The Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam would like to thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay.

As for the dinner which you classified as 'rubbish': I would really want to know specifically what was actually not good in order to take action. I sincerely hope the good things prevailed at the end of the day and that they will eventually make you decide to choose our hotel again for a future Amsterdam trip. Could you please send me your contact details to mt.wyndham@apollohotelsresorts.com?

With regards to the deposit I can inform you that we always ask a credit card or cash deposit upon arrival to guarantee incidental costs like bar and restaurant. We have this policy, like most hotels, in place to allow guests to charge incidentals to their room and to avoid that guests leave without paying their invoice. Unfortunately this happens a lot without this policy. I am sorry to hear that we did not inform you about authorizing your credit card. I hope that you understand this was an authorisation on your card. This means we ‘freeze’ a certain amount on your card. It is not an actual payment. Although I do understand you could not reach at these funds at this time.

The city tax is levied by the municipality. The municipality imposes a tax on persons who do not officially live in Amsterdam (i.e. tourists). Municipalities officially do this because tourists make use of municipal facilities. The income generated by this tax allows the municipality to improve its facilities. Unfortunately hotels do not have a say in this matter. The city tax is always 5.5% of the room rate.

In case you have any questions or remarks, please do feel free to contact me directly. I truly hope that we will be able to provide our product and service again to you in the near future. Your satisfaction is our main priority.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I asked the staff for help in finding a pharmacy that was open on Easter Monday morning, after having been sent to a one that was closed. The staff who could see i was clearly in pain was very kind and referred me quickly to the concierge. I asked him to find a pharmacy and call them to make sure they were open. He refused to call even if i told him we had just been sent to one that was closed and being sick, i cant take a chance for another one to be closed. He said he didnt need to call and it wasnt his fault if his colleague sent me to a closed pharmacy. I asked why the hotel doesnt have a shop with basic traveller medicine, he said they are a hotel, not a pharmacy. I insisted he call the pharmacy, he said he doesnt work for me, he works for his bosses!
I had to resort to the shift manager who was helpful and solved what should have been something easy to solve the first time around. Even if the rest of the staff is nice, i cant believe Wyndham tolerates having such an client-service averse concierge, who clearly is not aware he's in the Experience business. Badly done, Whydam

Dear Voyageur999888,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and your information will be used to improve our service.

For me it is very unfortunate to hear you experienced that the concierge was not helpful.

I can guarantee you I definitely will discuss this with the person involved during this situation. Unfortunately I have no excuse for this and agree with you that this is not the level of service we as Wyndham strive for.

Wyndham strives for the best service towards our guests. For your next stay I hope we can take care of everything in a righteous way, without any mistakes and failure in service provided.

In a personal e-mail addressed to you I will further discuss this matter. Could you please be so kind to send me your contact details to mt.wyndham@apollohotelsresorts.com?

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future when we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Terrible hotel, I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here.

The first problem occurs right after we arrived to the airport - day before I emailed the hotel and asked for the transfer to the hotel, and they answered that they don't do reservations, I must wait to the minibus of the hotel on the "hotels transfer point" and it will take us. So we waited almost 50 minutes but it not arrived, so we had to take a train, a tram and 10 minutes walk to get to the hotel.
When I told about this to the reception girl she said that they will check this case, but nobody apologized or suggested any compensation.

Our room was definitely not what we saw on hotel's pictures - very old furniture, one
nightstand's shelve was missing, the room was dirty and old. This is not a room in the 4* hotel, we were stayed in different hotel - 3, 4 and 5 stars, but this room was worse than all 3* rooms we saw.

The bath in the bathroom had a leakage so after I had bath all the floor was full of water.
When we returned to the room on the second day we found out that one of the glasses was missing - the cleaning lady took the dirty one and didn't replace it with the new.
Also the next day the cleaning lady put only one big towel instead of two.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear madam,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

We offer a free shuttle bus that will bring you from Schiphol Airport via World Trade Centre to the Wyndham Apollo Hotel. The ride from the airport to the hotel is indeed upon availability and cannot be reserved. The shuttle departs from bus stop A9, which is the bus stop for all hotel shuttle busses. Our shuttle will drive six times a day, only during the week from Monday till Friday.

I am extremely sorry for not being able to enjoy the benefits of our shuttle bus and the inconvenience this has caused you as a result. This is not the level of service that we try to offer, so I appreciate your feedback so I know what areas of improvement we have to work on.

The Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam offers different types of rooms with different views and styles. When you have checked into a room which is not meeting up your expectations we can always see if other rooms are available.

Your clear explained comments for improving have been highly noted and are discussed and directly improved where possible.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you had during your stay in our hotel. We hope that we may welcome you again in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam!

Imre Heijboer- General Manager
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

My husband and I satyed 4 nights at the beginning of April and upon our arrival were given a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite overlooking the canal. We found the room to be excellent, with all the amenities we needed and the bed was super comfortable, in fact my husband said it was the best bed he'd ever slept in, in a hotel! The staff were so friendly and helpful and the general feeling in the hotel was always warm and welcoming. The location was ideal, slightly away from the centre, so very peaceful, yet only a 10 minute tram ride away from the hustle bustle of the town. The tram stop was about a 5 -7 minute walk, a very pleasant walk along the canal to Apololaan stop. The only very minor complaint we had was with regard to the shower in the bathroom. It was positioned along the long length of the bath and f you did not get the angle quite right, water went all over the floor as there was only a panel to stop the water escaping rather than a curtain. On the first morning, we had a mini flood in the bathroom and I had to use all the towels to mop it up! Despite that, we would definitely stay at this hotel again and we definitely recommend it to others.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Dear Annabella,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It is much appreciated!

Also, thank you for bringing the points with regards to the shower to our attention, we will share your remarks in our management team and will take steps to make improvements.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of April. All of the receptionists were extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The info they provided about getting around Amsterdam was perfect.
Our room was spacious and clean, nothing to fault. If I was to complain about one thing it would be the price of drinks etc, however, I found Amsterdam to be quite expensive all together not just the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples or families wanting to experience Amsterdam without being in the thick of it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you so much for all of your beautiful compliments about our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your visit to the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

We definitely hope to welcome you back in our hotel so we can assist you again in making your journey a success.

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!