“well positioned, decent quality hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25%, Book in Advance
Ranked #118 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Biggar, United Kingdom
“well positioned, decent quality hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Visited Amsterdam for our usual pre-Christmas break - normally we stay at the Bilderberg Garden but this year opted for the Wyndham Apollo.. Its location is excellent - we were attending an event at the RAI. positioned right on the canals, its lovely, with some nice restaurants nearby, and less than a 5 minute walk to a tram stop, where tram numbers 5 or 24 will take your right up into central station area.
Very friendly staff checked us in, and directed us to our room. Room was very well appointed, but a bit small. However it had a superb view of the canal, and the bathroom, whilst small, was very nice with a great powerful shower. Maybe a bit too powerful as every time we used it the floor was completely soaked. Did report it to reception and they tried some silicon sealant at the bottom of the shower door but it made no difference.
We didn't eat in the hotel at night, and only had breakfast there this morning - a bit expensive and really a bit average, also the breakfast staff were a bit surly, and all our plates were left uncleared i.e. fruit juice, yoghurt etc were left until the end of the meal - pity as all the other staff were excellent.
Overall a good standard and we would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

638 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Since I am used to stay quite near the city center, I felt I was staying in the middle of nowhere; but un my case the location was accurate because I was suppose to attend meetings at the RAI convention center, 20 minutes walking from the hotel.
The rooms are average if you get to stay in the left side of the building, I was first assigned to yhe right side and the room eas literally a shoe box, much better once I complained and relocated.
Food is average and service too.

• Stayed December 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband booked a long weekend in Amsterdam as a surprise for my birthday & booked the Wyndham Apollo through Last Minute’s ‘Secret Hotel’ promotion. Last Minute.com falsely describe the secret hotel as ‘contemporary chic 4*’. Well this hotel is far from contemporary chic and very far from a 4*. I have never felt the urge to write a negative review before but this experience was so bad that I feel people should know about it.
When we arrived (on my birthday!) the reception and lobby area looked lovely, it has obviously been renovated and is really impressive. We were given a room on the ground floor and as soon as we opened the door the smell of cigarette smoke hit us. Probably a one-off is what we thought at the time so we went back to reception and asked for another room. We were given a second room on the ground floor and without exaggerating it was absolutely filthy. My husband actually took photos, but clearly there had been a problem with damp and hidden behind the bedside cabinets the wallpaper had gone rotten and peeled away from the wall. The bedside cabinets were stained and obviously hadn’t been cleaned — you could actually see finger print marks and stains on them. There were also about 3 flies which had been swatted on the walls & the net curtains had dead bugs stuck all over them.
At this point we called reception and said we needed another room and that they should ensure that the third room is clean! The third room we were sent to looked like it hadn’t been decorated since the seventies. The first thing we noticed when we walked through the door was a big hole in the carpet. Then we realised the curtains were ripped (majorly ripped) and the armchair in the middle of the room was worn down and tatty… as you can imagine by this point we were livid. We went down to reception and asked to speak to a manager. After some debate (the reception staff were quite defensive about it all even though you could tell they are used to dealing with complaints – they tried to steer us away from the main reception so that others wouldn’t overhear) they eventually said that they had a fully renovated room that they could give us. Finally, we walked into a completely different room which I would class as 4*.
It’s very clear that the Wyndam Apollo is going through a renovation project. Once it’s complete I imagine it will look ten times better. However, if they have renovated rooms that aren’t occupied it is unbelievable to me that they would send us to three different rooms that were horrible. The reception staff tried to pitch to us that the renovated rooms are not Standard Rooms (they are Executive Rooms) but that is nonsense. The final room we were in was clean but it was not an Executive Room. The insinuation that a standard room ought to be dirty, smelly & tatty & an Executive Room would be clean and chic is ridiculous.
If you were to book I would clarify exactly what kind of room you’ll be placed in and ask specifically whether it has recently been renovated.
Overall, probably the worst experience we’ve ever had with a hotel. We will definitely not be returning to the Wyndham Apollo.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Exceptional hotel... Very pleasant front desk staff... Received a beautiful executive room with a wonderful canal view! I will highly recommended it to all my friends! I am looking forward to my next visit. My compliments to the management!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Heerlen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

the location is very good, the rooms look beautiful, the beds were marvelous, but the reception service was inadequate. I expected better and was a bit disappointed. the staff in the breakfast area was very noisy. (friendly as well)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!