“Great Canal View, Calm Location” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #114 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hey look...

The hotel itself was okay. Rooms were small, but the place itself was clean. It was a bit out of the way but 15 minutes by tram to town.

The problem was that when we came to check out, we were informed that we had to pay THIRTY FIVE euros because we parked our car in the hotels gated carpark. Now, it did say that on the ticket we received, but I sadly don't speak dutch.

The issue is that this wasn't mentioned to us when we checked in DESPITE having given them our car registration! The receptionist could have mentioned that the car park wasn't owned by them, but instead, we had to pay 35 euros just to leave in the morning.

Well that sure put a dampner on the holiday. Thanks Wyndham Apollo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your comments will help us to improve our service.

I do hope that you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam. Although our hotel is located right outside the busy part of the city centre, all places of interest are within easy reach by foot or tram (stop located 5 minutes from the hotel). It is therefore unfortunate that we as hotel could not inform you well enough about the great location of the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam. The hotel offers rental for bikes and scooters. Renting one of these items will give you the possibility to explore the city in your own tempo and on a typical Dutch way.
I am sorry that you experienced our car park as expensive. We try to inform all of our guest as good as we can, sorry that we could not do that better in your way. Parking your car in the city centre outside our parking lot is about €45 per day, the hotel offers parking for €35 per day. Ofcourse there are more parking facilities, please contact the hotel for your next visit. The concierge service can inform you about the parking possibilities including the tariffs.

Once more thank you for your comments. I hope that we may welcome you once more in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Nice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks as part of a large group while working at the RAI. This hotel is reasonably big and therefore has all the facilites of a good 4 star hotel. But at the same time its location on the canal, the interior design, layout and the warmth of the service give it an almost family-run feeling. Try to get a room facing the water, preferably in the older section. Breakfast should not be missed, the bar area would be great in colder months and the terrace is delightful for drinks, lunch and evening meals. Would strongly recommend this as a far better and more 'human' option than most other places in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for you nice comments and positive words about our hotel, the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.
I find it nice to hear to you had an enjoyable stay in Amsterdam for two weeks. I will make sure that the full staff team is informed about your nice words!

We hope that we may welcome you again in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam when you are visiting Amsterdam once more. Maybe the next time will be for leisure and not only for hard working in the RAI.

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Byram, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Although very clean, you can tell the hotel is a older one and is in need of an upgrade. Hotel personnel was extremely nice and helpful. Breakfast buffet and bar excellent along with complimentary internet. Twin beds were stuck together(seemed like a full bed made into a twin bed with one headboard for both beds. a little to close for comfort if traveling with anyone other than significant other). All around it was average.

Room Tip: If traveling with a friend and need twin beds ask for roon with separate twin beds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Receiving feedback from guests will help us to improve our service and creating the best enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
The Wyndham Apollo Hotel offers different types and styles of rooms. In the category booked is always a possibility to choose for twin or double bedded beds. For the reception it is possible to change room type or bed type (based on availability). Please pass by the reception next time so we
can help you to find the best room suitable for you.

Our hotel is partly renovated and we are planning on renovating the rest of the hotel in the near future. Please note that all of our Executive rooms have been renovated already. The Executive rooms offer rooms with a view on the city or on the canals and are twin or double bedded.

I do hope you had en enjoyable stay in Amsterdam and that we may welcome you again in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager - Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as a mystery hotel, we were notified in advance of the trip as to where we would be staying, hotel looked good and we were happy.

My partner and I were taking the trip to mark a special occasion, I contacted the hotel twice to see if I could arrange extras twice they failed to respond.

Reception area was nice as was bar but the bar was expensive though it did have beautiful views across the canal.

We were booked for a room with garden view. We were given a tiny room with a view of a wall on the ground floor. Bathroom was tiny too, barely enough room to get in and shut the door. Room was also tired.

Customer service was lacking, breakfast expensive though the room was as clean as I would expect.

Overall disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

I am very sorry to hear that your requests made before arrival did not reached the hotel. Your trip to Amsterdam was for a special occasion and if we were informed in forehand we could have add an extra special value to your booking. I do apologize for this and will contact the agent where you have made your mystery booking.
The Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam offers different types of rooms with different views and styles. Please be informed that all our Executive rooms have been renovated recently and these rooms have a view on the canal or the city sight. When you have checked into a room which is not meeting up your expectations we can always see if other rooms are available.
Thank you for leaving the nice comment about the view on the canal and the decoration of the general areas. The view on the canals reflects the typical Amsterdam surrounding.

Once more I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I hope that we may welcome you once more into our hotel, the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam .

Burgh le Marsh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel was very clean and comfortable. My husband and I stayed for 3 nights. We had clean bedding every day. Our room was on the 6th floor with views over the canals and city. Very good blackout curtains and double glazed windows ensured we had a good nights sleep. The hotel staff were very helpful, with their knowledge of Amsterdam, and spoke very good English. The bar and restaurant were a bit pricey, so we ate elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and complimenting the service provided English by the staff . Your feedback is important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

Your comment about the prices of the bar and restaurant have been discussed with the restaurant.
Since August we serve a 3-course menu in our restaurant La Sirene for €36 per person. Our restaurant La Sirene recently received two good reviews of prestigious reviewers. The first review was given in the annual culinary magazine ‘De Lekker’ and the second review was given by Bib Gourmand.

I will make sure that everybody of the staff will be informed with your nice compliments. We hope that we may welcome you again in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I reserved this hotel on a business trip as it was not far from my meeting. i arrived late after meeting and diner. The room had a nice view but this is the only positive thing about it. Furniture was old, the room basically outlived. i wanted to take a refreshment in the fridge but this was switch off and empty...
The mornng after, I discovered in my shower openned soap and shampoo bottles. I must however admit that the bathroom was clean.
After this, I decided to skip the breakfast, and went to check out. When I was asked if I used anything from the minibar and that I explained that it was empty, the only reply was a laugh and the remark: Well, I suppose it is difficult to take anything if it's empty....
All in all, this hotel is a catastophy, typically one that need a big refresh. If you have to be in Amsterdam, take a chance to anything else than this place, you'll surely be more satisfied
To end on a positive note, the location is nice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear sir,

The comments about the view and the location of the hotel made me smile and I can only agree on that point. The view on the canals gives us every day a living painting.
I am really sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet up your expectations. Your points of attention, like decoration of the room, the technical failures in the room and the service of all departments, have been discussed with the person in charge of the departments. The attention points which you mention are not our standard service where we stand for. The needed improvement points will be followed up.

I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I hope that we may have to change to welcome you again in our hotel to show you the service and facilities where we are striving for.