“superb” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #104 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Nice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
“superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks as part of a large group while working at the RAI. This hotel is reasonably big and therefore has all the facilites of a good 4 star hotel. But at the same time its location on the canal, the interior design, layout and the warmth of the service give it an almost family-run feeling. Try to get a room facing the water, preferably in the older section. Breakfast should not be missed, the bar area would be great in colder months and the terrace is delightful for drinks, lunch and evening meals. Would strongly recommend this as a far better and more 'human' option than most other places in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for you nice comments and positive words about our hotel, the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.
I find it nice to hear to you had an enjoyable stay in Amsterdam for two weeks. I will make sure that the full staff team is informed about your nice words!

We hope that we may welcome you again in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam when you are visiting Amsterdam once more. Maybe the next time will be for leisure and not only for hard working in the RAI.

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Byram, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Although very clean, you can tell the hotel is a older one and is in need of an upgrade. Hotel personnel was extremely nice and helpful. Breakfast buffet and bar excellent along with complimentary internet. Twin beds were stuck together(seemed like a full bed made into a twin bed with one headboard for both beds. a little to close for comfort if traveling with anyone other than significant other). All around it was average.

Room Tip: If traveling with a friend and need twin beds ask for roon with separate twin beds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Receiving feedback from guests will help us to improve our service and creating the best enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
The Wyndham Apollo Hotel offers different types and styles of rooms. In the category booked is always a possibility to choose for twin or double bedded beds. For the reception it is possible to change room type or bed type (based on availability). Please pass by the reception next time so we
can help you to find the best room suitable for you.

Our hotel is partly renovated and we are planning on renovating the rest of the hotel in the near future. Please note that all of our Executive rooms have been renovated already. The Executive rooms offer rooms with a view on the city or on the canals and are twin or double bedded.

I do hope you had en enjoyable stay in Amsterdam and that we may welcome you again in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager - Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as a mystery hotel, we were notified in advance of the trip as to where we would be staying, hotel looked good and we were happy.

My partner and I were taking the trip to mark a special occasion, I contacted the hotel twice to see if I could arrange extras twice they failed to respond.

Reception area was nice as was bar but the bar was expensive though it did have beautiful views across the canal.

We were booked for a room with garden view. We were given a tiny room with a view of a wall on the ground floor. Bathroom was tiny too, barely enough room to get in and shut the door. Room was also tired.

Customer service was lacking, breakfast expensive though the room was as clean as I would expect.

Overall disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

I am very sorry to hear that your requests made before arrival did not reached the hotel. Your trip to Amsterdam was for a special occasion and if we were informed in forehand we could have add an extra special value to your booking. I do apologize for this and will contact the agent where you have made your mystery booking.
The Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam offers different types of rooms with different views and styles. Please be informed that all our Executive rooms have been renovated recently and these rooms have a view on the canal or the city sight. When you have checked into a room which is not meeting up your expectations we can always see if other rooms are available.
Thank you for leaving the nice comment about the view on the canal and the decoration of the general areas. The view on the canals reflects the typical Amsterdam surrounding.

Once more I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I hope that we may welcome you once more into our hotel, the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam .

Burgh le Marsh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel was very clean and comfortable. My husband and I stayed for 3 nights. We had clean bedding every day. Our room was on the 6th floor with views over the canals and city. Very good blackout curtains and double glazed windows ensured we had a good nights sleep. The hotel staff were very helpful, with their knowledge of Amsterdam, and spoke very good English. The bar and restaurant were a bit pricey, so we ate elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and complimenting the service provided English by the staff . Your feedback is important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

Your comment about the prices of the bar and restaurant have been discussed with the restaurant.
Since August we serve a 3-course menu in our restaurant La Sirene for €36 per person. Our restaurant La Sirene recently received two good reviews of prestigious reviewers. The first review was given in the annual culinary magazine ‘De Lekker’ and the second review was given by Bib Gourmand.

I will make sure that everybody of the staff will be informed with your nice compliments. We hope that we may welcome you again in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I reserved this hotel on a business trip as it was not far from my meeting. i arrived late after meeting and diner. The room had a nice view but this is the only positive thing about it. Furniture was old, the room basically outlived. i wanted to take a refreshment in the fridge but this was switch off and empty...
The mornng after, I discovered in my shower openned soap and shampoo bottles. I must however admit that the bathroom was clean.
After this, I decided to skip the breakfast, and went to check out. When I was asked if I used anything from the minibar and that I explained that it was empty, the only reply was a laugh and the remark: Well, I suppose it is difficult to take anything if it's empty....
All in all, this hotel is a catastophy, typically one that need a big refresh. If you have to be in Amsterdam, take a chance to anything else than this place, you'll surely be more satisfied
To end on a positive note, the location is nice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear sir,

The comments about the view and the location of the hotel made me smile and I can only agree on that point. The view on the canals gives us every day a living painting.
I am really sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet up your expectations. Your points of attention, like decoration of the room, the technical failures in the room and the service of all departments, have been discussed with the person in charge of the departments. The attention points which you mention are not our standard service where we stand for. The needed improvement points will be followed up.

I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. I hope that we may have to change to welcome you again in our hotel to show you the service and facilities where we are striving for.

london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Hi there,

We would like to advise anyone considering staying at this hotel to thoroughly read the reviews posted on Trip Advisor before booking here or you will be seriously disappointed by what you find.
Not only are the many unhappy reviews relating to dirty, desperately out-dated rooms and poor service totally accurate - see below - but you'll also spot that management doesn't appear to care very much and has made little effort to respond to many of the negative reviews.

We wish we had checked this site thoroughly before our two day stay this week. Although booked in for two nights, due to travel delays we only arrived at 8am on the morning of the second day. Therefore, the room should have been ready for us from the previous morning right? WRONG.

Not only was the room obviously not vacuumed, and with no fresh towels, but also the bathroom counter and bin were full of the previous occupant's rubbish. As if this wasn't disgusting enough, the unflushed toilet was also full from the previous occupant, which had been there for OVER 24 HOURS and had obviously not even been looked at.

Appalled, we returned to the Reception and were immediately moved to the room next door. Despite having been cleaned, it became rapidly apparent that this level of the hotel is a long way off the renovation plans the manager has mentioned in other replies taking place in 2012.
Threadbare carpets, filthy plug holes and drains, strips of wallpaper missing - ours had a ludicrous yellow strip of wallpaper that doesn't match the rest of the room - scuffed scratched and past it furniture that looks as if it's from a low budget rest home, curtains that don't reach the floor, air conditioning that is effective but rumbles noisily, and a mini bar fridge in the cupboard with a key in it that won't open it.

All in all, very disappointing to look at, but we had an appointment in the city to get to, so requested the room be made up and fresh towels and additional pillows supplied - but when we got back in the afternoon the pillows were there, but none of the cleaning had happened. So we rang housekeeping AGAIN.

We'd also like to mention the low standard of the breakfast buffet supplied - dreadful scrambled eggs that tasted like they had been microwaved, fruit bowls of prepped fruit in juice at neck height so they were awkward to serve, god-awful juices from concentrate, and stale pastries that felt like they'd been there from the previous day, with butter in sachets that had curdled / gone off. When you see the dusty FAKE iris flowers in the vases on each table you realise you are only metres from breakfast in hell.....

Having gone to another business meeting, we returned to the room at 10.30pm and watched the information tv channel which indicated we could get room service until 11pm. But on calling for this we were told Room Service CLOSED at 10pm - why no 24 hour room service in a hotel of this 'so-called' standard?!?! - but the Receptionist told us we could order food from a local take away and he would have it delivered - provided WE came down to the Reception and ordered it there, because he 'only had one copy of the menu and otherwise guests don't bring it back' (!!!)

Starving and in an unfamiliar city, we ordered pizzas and drinks and paid 45 Euros 45 minutes later for two APPALLING pizzas dripping in grease with dreadful quality meat on them. Utterly rotten service throughout.

Lastly, we need to mention that the bathroom is the equivalent of having your own water fun park.
This is from ANOTHER review -
I then stepped out of the bath following my shower into an inch of water on the bathroom floor, The glass shower door did not have a seal on it and the shower head faced directly onto the door which subsequently emptied the majority of the shower water on to the floor. I then spent 10 minutes mopping this up with the hand towels. On our way out for the day we requested that either the shower door gets fixed or we need to move rooms.
- And this is utterly correct - prepare for every inch of the bathroom floor to be drenched and to call Housekeeping repeatedly to request more towels. For a hotel that CLAIMS to have a green commitment to towel usage, you'd think they could sort out the idiotic showers that contradict this completely. Extremely frustrating.

The only redeeming features of the hotel were the porters who stood in the (shabby) outside area and arranged cabs, moved our luggage, sorted our safe store - no safes in the rooms! - and were courteous throughout. Their tired expressions tend to say 'Yes, we know this is a crappy hotel but what can we do to help you?'. The bed was big and thankfully comfortable, and the air conditioning was powerful and cold - but all this was nowhere near enough, and I would never stay here again, or recommend it to anyone considering a business OR pleasure stay.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your experiences at our hotel is very important to us. Your information will help us to improve the service and quality of the hotel.

I am really sorry to hear to the hotel did not meet up your expectations. Your clear explained comments for improving (room decoration, service of Food&Beverage outlets, communication of all departments, etc.) have been highly noted and are discussed and directly improved where possible.
Your nice words about the service of the concierge have been forwarded to the gentlemen.
Please be informed that the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam offers different types and styles of room with different views. When a room does not meet up your expectations the Front Office staff can always double check other possibilities upon availability.

I do apologize for situation in the hotel, I hope that the city Amsterdam did meet up you expectations and that you saw and did what you planned at home.

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much. The hotel is located in a very beautiful and quiet surroundings very close to the Concertgebouw and the museumplein. Tram 5 on Mozartkade to the central station, Leidseplein and all the museums is less than 5 minutes walk. The train station of Amsterdam Zuid is very near too and if you drive from the airport the hotel is not more than 10 minutes drive. The breakfast was very good 5* level with large selection of food and great canal views. The fitness room is basic but well-equipped. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and very nice bathroom, but carpets need a renovation.

Room Tip: The rooms with canal view definitely worth spending some extra money.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your comments will help us to improve our service.

I do hope that you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam. I find it nice to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. Although our hotel is located right outside the busy part of the city centre, all places of interest are within easy reach by foot or tram (stop located 5 minutes from the hotel). I hope that the hotel was a good starting point for all your attractions and that you have seen what you wanted to see before you came to Amsterdam.
Thank you for leaving your nice comments about your totally experience in our hotel. The staff will be informed by me and that will give them a good motivation to keep up the good work.
Your improvement points of the carpet have been discussed with our Technical Department, they will do their utmost best to solve this issue as soon as possible.

Once more thank you for your kind comments. I hope that we may welcome you once more in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!