We would like to advise anyone considering staying at this hotel to thoroughly read the reviews posted on Trip Advisor before booking here or you will be seriously disappointed by what you find.
Not only are the many unhappy reviews relating to dirty, desperately out-dated rooms and poor service totally accurate - see below - but you'll also spot that management doesn't appear to care very much and has made little effort to respond to many of the negative reviews.
We wish we had checked this site thoroughly before our two day stay this week. Although booked in for two nights, due to travel delays we only arrived at 8am on the morning of the second day. Therefore, the room should have been ready for us from the previous morning right? WRONG.
Not only was the room obviously not vacuumed, and with no fresh towels, but also the bathroom counter and bin were full of the previous occupant's rubbish. As if this wasn't disgusting enough, the unflushed toilet was also full from the previous occupant, which had been there for OVER 24 HOURS and had obviously not even been looked at.
Appalled, we returned to the Reception and were immediately moved to the room next door. Despite having been cleaned, it became rapidly apparent that this level of the hotel is a long way off the renovation plans the manager has mentioned in other replies taking place in 2012.
Threadbare carpets, filthy plug holes and drains, strips of wallpaper missing - ours had a ludicrous yellow strip of wallpaper that doesn't match the rest of the room - scuffed scratched and past it furniture that looks as if it's from a low budget rest home, curtains that don't reach the floor, air conditioning that is effective but rumbles noisily, and a mini bar fridge in the cupboard with a key in it that won't open it.
All in all, very disappointing to look at, but we had an appointment in the city to get to, so requested the room be made up and fresh towels and additional pillows supplied - but when we got back in the afternoon the pillows were there, but none of the cleaning had happened. So we rang housekeeping AGAIN.
We'd also like to mention the low standard of the breakfast buffet supplied - dreadful scrambled eggs that tasted like they had been microwaved, fruit bowls of prepped fruit in juice at neck height so they were awkward to serve, god-awful juices from concentrate, and stale pastries that felt like they'd been there from the previous day, with butter in sachets that had curdled / gone off. When you see the dusty FAKE iris flowers in the vases on each table you realise you are only metres from breakfast in hell.....
Having gone to another business meeting, we returned to the room at 10.30pm and watched the information tv channel which indicated we could get room service until 11pm. But on calling for this we were told Room Service CLOSED at 10pm - why no 24 hour room service in a hotel of this 'so-called' standard?!?! - but the Receptionist told us we could order food from a local take away and he would have it delivered - provided WE came down to the Reception and ordered it there, because he 'only had one copy of the menu and otherwise guests don't bring it back' (!!!)
Starving and in an unfamiliar city, we ordered pizzas and drinks and paid 45 Euros 45 minutes later for two APPALLING pizzas dripping in grease with dreadful quality meat on them. Utterly rotten service throughout.
Lastly, we need to mention that the bathroom is the equivalent of having your own water fun park.
This is from ANOTHER review -
I then stepped out of the bath following my shower into an inch of water on the bathroom floor, The glass shower door did not have a seal on it and the shower head faced directly onto the door which subsequently emptied the majority of the shower water on to the floor. I then spent 10 minutes mopping this up with the hand towels. On our way out for the day we requested that either the shower door gets fixed or we need to move rooms.
- And this is utterly correct - prepare for every inch of the bathroom floor to be drenched and to call Housekeeping repeatedly to request more towels. For a hotel that CLAIMS to have a green commitment to towel usage, you'd think they could sort out the idiotic showers that contradict this completely. Extremely frustrating.
The only redeeming features of the hotel were the porters who stood in the (shabby) outside area and arranged cabs, moved our luggage, sorted our safe store - no safes in the rooms! - and were courteous throughout. Their tired expressions tend to say 'Yes, we know this is a crappy hotel but what can we do to help you?'. The bed was big and thankfully comfortable, and the air conditioning was powerful and cold - but all this was nowhere near enough, and I would never stay here again, or recommend it to anyone considering a business OR pleasure stay.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
- Wyndham Apollo Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Excellent location within walking distance to the main museums and well-known shopping streets but also near the RAI convention centre and the WTC Amsterdam. We can offer you the best of both worlds! The hotel is surrounded by water and tranquility, and yet so close to the city centre that you sense both the energy of city life and the heart of the business world. This is the special location of the majestic Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, where 5 Amsterdam canals converge. Make your stay complete with a culinary feast in the hotel restaurant La Sirène. The hotel offers private parking, a spa and a marina. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, Otel, HotelsNL, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Wyndham Apollo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.