“comfortable hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25%, Book in Advance
Ranked #113 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
“comfortable hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much. The hotel is located in a very beautiful and quiet surroundings very close to the Concertgebouw and the museumplein. Tram 5 on Mozartkade to the central station, Leidseplein and all the museums is less than 5 minutes walk. The train station of Amsterdam Zuid is very near too and if you drive from the airport the hotel is not more than 10 minutes drive. The breakfast was very good 5* level with large selection of food and great canal views. The fitness room is basic but well-equipped. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and very nice bathroom, but carpets need a renovation.

Room Tip: The rooms with canal view definitely worth spending some extra money.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your comments will help us to improve our service.

I do hope that you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam. I find it nice to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. Although our hotel is located right outside the busy part of the city centre, all places of interest are within easy reach by foot or tram (stop located 5 minutes from the hotel). I hope that the hotel was a good starting point for all your attractions and that you have seen what you wanted to see before you came to Amsterdam.
Thank you for leaving your nice comments about your totally experience in our hotel. The staff will be informed by me and that will give them a good motivation to keep up the good work.
Your improvement points of the carpet have been discussed with our Technical Department, they will do their utmost best to solve this issue as soon as possible.

Once more thank you for your kind comments. I hope that we may welcome you once more in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

678 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Staff, room and help with the incidentals was top notch. It certainly gets 4 stars...maybe ad a half to my rating.
Pleasant greeting for two novice European travelers. Many questions were answered with patience and a friendly attitude. Breakfast is top of the line...

Room Tip: It appears due to the size, all rooms were situated in a comfortable place.
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for leaving your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed stay and appreciated the service of all our employees.
Starting the day with a healthy breakfast is a good start of the day, especially when you have a nice view on the canals around our hotel.
As a visitor of Amsterdam questions, help or advise is very normal to have. I find it nice to read that the staff could help you in all of this.
Hopefully you will come to our hotel once more, maybe in a different season so Amsterdam can show a the city from a different sight.

Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here for two nights before a tour of Europe. The location is lovely and quiet, about a 15 minute walk to the tram in one direction and another 15 minute walk in the other direction to some lovely sidewalk cafes. The hotel room was clean, bed comfortable and a nice seating area. My one word of advice is stay from rooms on the second floor, the view is of a wall. I
was part of a group and when I mentioned this at the front desk, they said that is where all group members were. I was totally ok with that until the next day when I was talking with other members of our group, were told that some of them were in the tower part of the hotel and had a lovely view. Since our visit was only for two nights and the first night there went to sleep after being up for 36 hours, the view did not bother me, what bothered me was being lied too. I was not at all impressed with any of the front desk staff. The breakfast buffet was included in our room and found it to be very suitable with a nice selection of warm and cold choices and the service was fast and friendly. All in all a nice stay, but would like to remind the front desk people that they are in the service industry and it is their job to make customers feel like they are welcome, instead of being a bother.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the second floor of the main building.
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us and complimenting the location of the hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to improve our services.

I am really sorry to hear that your room did not meet up your expecations. The Wyndham Apollo Hotel has different room types available; standard, executive and suites. Due to the building we can unfortunate not offer all rooms with a view on the canal. The rooms which having a view on the canal are our executive rooms or suites.
I take the comments about the attitude of the staff very seriously and have discussed this with the team. Having the feeling that you have been told lies is not the feeling and experience what we as a hotel what to give and where we are striving for. I am sorry for this.

I hope that you had a wonderful Europe trip and that you have seen and experienced nice cities and foreign people. When you are visiting Amsterdam once more I hope you choose our hotel for the stay, we will make sure that the service is the way you expect from a nice four star hotel.

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We arrived at the Wyndham at around 11am and checked in, but the room wasn't quite ready so we left our suitcase and headed off into Amsterdam via tram, the tram stop is a short 5 minute walk away. On our return around 2 pm we were given the room number 033 and explained the direction to the room. On entering the room we realised that we had been upgraded from a standard double to a king size bed, this was a nice surprise. The room was very clean and the furniture appeared new, all good so far. The view was a bit rubbish however as it looked out directly on to the car park, but as the plan wasn't to spend too much time in the room that didn't bother us too much.
Room facilities were good, however more coffee and tea satchets are required. There was only 2 of each, no good if you both only drink either/or and have a drink in the evening, then there are none left for the morning, unless you go to reception and request more.
On waking in the morning I used the shower, and very simple to use and easy to set the temperature, I then stepped out of the bath following my shower into an inch of water on the bathroom floor, The glass shower door did not have a seal on it and the shower head faced directly onto the door which subsequently emptied the majority of the shower water on to the floor. I then spent 10 minutes mopping this up with the hand towels. On our way out for the day we requested that either the shower door gets fixed or we need to move rooms. On our return in the afternoon we were given a new room, next door into number 035, I went to look at this room and rejected the move as this room is exactly the same as the last, we then got shown Room 640, the shower in this room also had no seal on the door, but the shower head faced directly over the length of the bath this time. We accepted this move with thanks to the reception staff for their assistance and prompt action.
The rest of our stay was excellent except for one comical conversation I had with a member of the bar staff: I requested a large beer to take to my room, the answer was, I can give you a bottle of beer, this I rejected maintaining I wanted a large beer, a pint, Okay, I can give you a medium drink, this once again, was rejected, A large beer, to take to my room please, I'm sorry I only have one large glass left and if I give it you I will not have any left. This made me chuckle and I answered, but if I sat in the bar and drunk it then you would still lose the last pint glass, the answer was, but I would get it back. I had to promise to the bar staff that I would bring back that pint glass when I had finished with it, before I was allowed a pint of beer. I can understand asking for me to return the glass, but to have to promise to return it before i could have one made me chuckle and did not ruin what was an excellent weekend for me and my wife celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, many thanks to all at The Wyndham. We will be back some time, maybe for our 21st.
Aidan & Bev Wright

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and your information will be used to improve our service and product.

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your special trip to Amsterdam. I hope you had a wonderful 20th celebration in our hotel.
I do apologize for the inconvenience with moving rooms due to the technical errors with the shower. I have informed our technical department and they are looking to other options for the shower.
Finishing your day with a nice cooled drink in the bar should give you luxuries feeling. I am sorry to hear that there was a bit of trouble for taking the drinks to the room. This points has been discussed with the person in charge.

We hope that we have the opportunity to may welcome you back in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam! We will welcome you in the room with a nice cooled drink and a correct working shower.

General Manager - Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam which was overall a very good hotel which is a short walk to the Museum Quarter and roughly 2 miles to the centre of town.

We upgraded to an Executive room with a Canal View, the room received though was a smaller Deluxe Room but the view was excellent. The hotel claimed the Deluxe room and Executive were the same. The hotels documentation indicated the Executive was a better room and also larger, the extra apace with a 5 year old would have been welcome.

I would recommend the hotel though. It is a short walk to the 197 bus from Museum plain which takes you to the Airport in roughly 40 minutes even at 6.00 am or using the 5 tram to Zuid and then catching the train which is quicker to the Airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the renovated executive rooms with a beautiful view of the canals. The room was a bit smaller than expected, but it was clean with a friendly staff. They only has two elevators, one of which was broken, and on one occasion, we had to wait for about 10 minutes. Also, not sure the air conditioning was working or seemed set at a very low setting. We were lucky that we didn't need it then, but did wonder during hot weather...

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!