“Nice, quiet hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Atlanta, GA
“Nice, quiet hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hotel was very nice. Room was a little small but adequate to share with twin beds. Beds were very comfortable. Staff was great and quick to respond to all request. They accommodated my early morning arrival with a room and required twin beds. Highest praise for staff.

Hotel is 15-20 minute walk to RAI and 2 blocks to tram along an avenue of art projects. There are restaurants within walking distance. Center of town is about 20 minute tram ride. Last tram from city center is 12:30 am. We almost missed that one night not thinking about schedule.

We were happy with the hotel and location to RAI. Had no problem seeing the city via the tram system.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Recent business trip to Amsterdam in June (yeah, I know.. Poor me). I arrived early morning from a red-eye flight and the very nice person at reception (Ali) gave me a complimentary early check-in (which was great so I could catch a nap after a sleepless flight). The room was nice and a good size (especially for Europe which tends to have smaller rooms than the US). Even the pillows were comfortable (which I find rare at hotels). The view was of the canal which was a real treat. Hotel was walking distance to the RAI Convention center (good for business) and also to the Rijks Museum (good for R&R). The cafe at the hotel is nice and the people friendly.
All in all, I found this a good place to stay and will happily stay there again.

Room Tip: My room was in the tower (6 stories, but that's the tower) overlooking the canal. Really nice a...
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I booked this hotel through the lastminute.com 'Secret Hotels' scheme - where you don't know the name of the hotel until after you have committed to book. The guy in Dehli who dealt with the booking was very helpful in ensuring that the hotel I paid for was within walking distance of the Rijksmuseum, where I was working. Once I knew the name of the hotel, I sent an email saying that I would be checking in late. When I arrived around 10.30 pm, after a very long day at work and a flight, I was told that there were no rooms left because of a computer failure. I was offered an alternative room in another Wyndham hotel and specifically assured that the new hotel was the same distance from the Rijksmuseum. I was not treated with friendliness or compassion and waited about 20 minutes for a taxi. The taxi driver told me that this 'book out' happened frequently, it was not an isolated computer failure. Moreover, despite the receptionist's explicit assurances, the alternative hotel that I was taken to was in the west of the city, in an area I did not know or particularly like, and absolutely not within walking distance of the museum. When I was extremely assertive on arrival at the new hotel, a room was found for me back at the Wyndham Apollo and I was taken back there in a taxi. It was now close to midnight. The Wyndahm Apollo itself is architecturally pleasant and well situated, and some of the staff are clearly embarrassed by the practice of overbooking. Overall, however, apart from one young woman, my experience of the hotel was of a lack of the care, hospitality and even a bed for the night, that are basic requirements in the hotel business.

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

It was one of the hotel suggested by the RAI administration in Amsterdam and we chose it because of the location. In general it was a very good hotel, view on the water, kind personnnel.

I didn't give a higher review because we had some problems with the booking, though I'm not sure if it was the fault of RAI or of the hotel. Regardless it was a bit annoying! I had to change my booking to stay another day (arriving a day before) and called both hotel and RAI to get confirmation. When I arrived the reservation was still with the old data, but luckily they fixed it.

none
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Wyndham Apollos expresses it's exclusivity and high standards on facilities and services but in reality really, really is dissapointing. We booked an expensive two person-room (€ 150 a night) excluding the € 18 per person breakfast.
The room was quite dirty and really in bad shape. It was stinky, the walls were dirty, there was a lot of dust AND human hair everywhere but especially in the drawers and cupboards. The bath was full of dirty brown stains. Apart from that the room itself breathed faded glory - we imagine that once it was a beautiful, well cleaned and distincitive room between many others.
Before getting in the restaurant for breakfast the next morning, a waiter that checks your room number before you can go in for breakfast, starting making a phone call right in front of us while we were waiting to be served. Very unpolite. Our breakfast had enough choice but the bread was really old. Also, a waiter ran into us three times while we were picking up some bread and butter. He obviously never heard of courteousness to hotel guests.
We had a wedding party the night before and the food, drinks as well as the service were very good. Too bad that the room and other details were so bad. For us, that was the first and the last time that we visit the Wyndham Apollo in Amsterdam. A waste of money if you ask us.

Room Tip: Don't pick one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
hampshire UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here June 14 - 18; the room was comfortable but shabby - no hair dryer, no safe and the breakfast very expensive. if you go for the continental, there's a large delivery charge. On our second morning we had money stolen from our room and so did our friends -twice as much as us, while we were all at breakfast. The hotel was poor at responding and only after much time were we upgraded to a room with a safe. (hair dryer here but broken and dangerous; I received a call at 11.40pm asking if I still wanted a new one and at midnight was told this was not possible!!) Drinks were offered to keep us quiet and there was no satisfaction from the off-site security. We were never told the result of investigation to see if our rooms had been entered while we were at breakfast - so does the swipe system work or not? I have contacted the parent company but after 6 days at home have received no reply. if you go there, watch your money and make a fuss if your room is not up to scratch.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a safe and a canal view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because I was attending a conference in the nearby RAI. It was a walking distance in the beautiful morning of Amsterdam and an equally relaxing walk at the end of the day.

My flight from Doha arrived very early in the morning (around 7:00) and I was ready for a denial of early check in but the guy at the reception welcomed me with a smile and got me right into my room. No question asked. That helped. The room is not large but it has a desk and was arranged functionally nicely.

Breakfast buffet was good and rich in variety.

I recommend this as an option for any event at the RAI.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!