“Lucky Dip that worked out great” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 25%, Book in Advance
Ranked #102 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Ireland
“Lucky Dip that worked out great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We travelled to Amsterdam for a wedding in September and booked this hotel with Lastminute.com while sitting in the departures lounge at the airport heading to Amsterdam. It was one of those secret deals on the website. We were familair with the museum area so thought that for a lucky dip hotel it was going to be ok but also expected to be in a fairly dull buisness hotel.

We were more than pleasantly surprised and reckoned that the hotel was better than the hotel most of the other guests stayed at near the station for more than double the price and this fact was confirmed by my wife's sister who stayed in this hotel on our last night having moved from another.

The location is good. Its on the canal and on the Saturday morning I sat out on the deck having a beer watching the rowing club members on the water in front of me. The club house seems to be beside the hotel.

The hotel is being refurbished so I would advise asking to be given a room on one of the floors that have been done. Our room was very nice with a view over the canal.

The nearest tram is a five minute walk away and it will have you in Dam square in a few minutes. Its a very nice walk to the tram. It is also only a 10 minutes walk to the market and a little further to the museum plein.

Its in a very nice part of town. The walk to the tram is through some very nice residential streets.

The bus we got from the airport left us about a 12 to 15 minute walk from the hotel, there are a few nice coffee shops and bars on the walk so if you only have carry on luggage and are arriving during the day then this should not be a problem.

AT the end of the day this is a hotel in the business end of town. Its in a quiet part of town and I'm not sure what it would be like during the working week. I wouldn't recomend the hotel for stag group or a young couple who are going to Amsterdam to party all night long. If you are after a nice weekend of strolling around the upmarket shops, the market but within easy access to the centre of things then at the rates this hotel is available for at the weekends I would recomend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Sir/madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and complimenting the location of the hotel. Your feedback is very important to us.
I enjoyed reading your positive part about the view of the room, I can really agree on this the lively painting in front of the hotel is really worth seeing.

I would like to inform you about the updating of the rooms, we have partly renovated the hotel and we are planning on renovating the rest of the rooms in the near future. Please not that all our executive rooms have been renovated already.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Wyndham Apollo hotel is situated outside Amsterdam in a quiet area close to the RAI centre where we attended an international event.
When we booked in we were informed we had been given a free upgrade which was lovely. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and included tea and coffee making facility. The staff where pleasant and helpful. We did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food.
If I return to Amsterdam I would certainly stay in this great value for money hotel .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear sir/madam,

The Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam would like to thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay.

I am happy to hear that the hotel did meet up to your expectations and that you enjoyed your overall stay. Also I am happy to hear that you found the staff to be very friendly.

I look forward welcoming you again at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

Houston, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed with my family had a great experiance hotel is very clean it is a 4 star, I dont understand the negative reviews hotel staff was very helpfull and polite especialy a young lady named karin she was very helpfull she answered all my questions and didnot hesitat to help me with anything, will stay here agian when i go back to amsterdam. Location is a not in the center or near the atractions but the staff showed me how to get to all the atractions by nearby tram very helpfull got there every day in 10 - 15 minutes. nice and quiet area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your experience at our hotel is very important to us. Your comments will help us to improve our total service.

Your kind words about the staff and the hotel itself are really appreciated. It is nice to hear the hotel met up all your expectations and that you had a great stay in Amsterdam.

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam and we are looking forward to welcome you back!

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very pretty hotel tucked away from the main center of amsterdam with a gorgeous back patio on the canals. Very peaceful, clean and nice. Not close to the center though so if you want convenience of travel to and fro main parts of amsterdam, then look elsewhere. A great place for a nice, quiet retreat.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear sir/madam,

I do hope you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam. Although our hotel is located right outside the busy part of the city centre, all places of interest are within easy reach by foot or tram (stop location 5 minutes from the hotel). It is therefore unfortunate that we as hotel could not inform you well enough about the great location of the Wyndham Apollo Hotel between the lively city centre and the nice calmed south area of Amsterdam and with all main museums on walking distance.
I look forward welcoming you again at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Staff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 4 night from the 2-6 of Jan and were completely impressed with our room. It was cleaned spotless every day and we also received fresh towels. The bed was so comfy we found it quite hard on two occasions to get out of it.
The bathroom was clean and modern and also had a power shower, very nice after a long days walk.

Its location for us was not an issue as it’s only a 4 minute walk to the tram line where you can get either the number 5 or 24 into the centre of Amsterdam.

There were only a couple of issues with the hotel that I can think of, firstly there were no robes in the rooms, and after a shower I think it’s always nice to have one, not a major issue as we didn’t even ask at the front desk for one, just got under the covers instead.

And the second, the price of food and spa were far too high for us. 22.50 euros for breakfast and 90 euros for a massage were a bit too steep for us, especially when bagels and bean just down the road cost about 17 euro for two.

As I said these weren’t really an issue for us as every day we got up and went straight into town.
Would defiantly recommend this hotel to friends and family and when we go back we'll be re-visiting this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I assure you that we will use this information to improve our service.

I do hope you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam. Although our hotel is located right outside the busy part of the city centre, all places of interest are within easy reach by foot or tram (stop location 5 minutes from the hotel). The hotel also offers a bike and scooter rental to explore the city in your own tempo and on a typical Dutch way.
I am sorry the read that you experienced our extras services as expensive. I will inform my colleagues with your notes.

I enjoyed reading the nice comments about the bed, a good sleep is a good start of the day!

I do hope to welcome you again at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Business hotel, close to RAI Convention and exposition center; try to get a room facing the chanel; the hotel hires bikes ( the best part of my business experience) anf fastest way to get the way to anywhere.

Far from the center but localized in a charming and quiet zone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am happy to hear that you had nice stay in our hotel and that you enjoyed the view on the canals.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager - Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!