“Renovated rooms don't disappoint (and beds are very comfortable)” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25%, Book in Advance
Ranked #104 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
The Hague
“Renovated rooms don't disappoint (and beds are very comfortable)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was actually a Headquarters hotel for a conference my company was hosting, so all the staff stayed here. The key is to ask for a renovated room - they are trendy yet very comfortable (the beds are amazingly soft, I loved them!) and if you're also lucky enough to get a room with a canal view, even better.

I first had a NON renovated room however, that was extremely dated, rather run down (paint and furniture chipped, wallpaper marked and peeling) and smelled very musty. I switched immediately.

The staff was courteous and dealt with my room switch very nicely.

Bar and restaurant were average.

All in all an average business hotel.

NOTE though - this is not so close to the RAI. They market is as a conference hotel but it it still a good 15 minutes walk to the convention centre!

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room and ask for a view of the canal!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your experience at our hotel is important to us. Your comments will help us to improve our total service.

Our hotel is partly renovated and we are planning a second and last renovation in the near future. Please note that all of our executive rooms have been renovated already. Your kind words about the staff and the hotel itself is really appreciated, I personally will inform my colleagues about your nice words.

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam and we are looking forward to welcome you back.

General Manager - Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

723 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I took my wife to Amsterdam for an early birthday present for one night and was delighted we chose the Wyndham Apollo.

We stayed in room 130 and loved the comfortable bed, the view of the rowing club and the fantastic service. When checking in the team behind the desk pointed out on the map everywhere we wanted to go and served us with a smile.

The lobby and bar area were stylish and helped make the atmosphere for a treat weekend away.

The location is slightly out of town, but with the 5 or 24 tram just a 5 minutes walk away, we didn't experience any inconvenience for it. And to be honest were enjoyed the "site seeing" tour of Amsterdam by tram on our way in and out of town!

The only negatives were the very over priced mini-bar €24 for a mini bottle of prosecco(!!!) and the high cost of breakfast - although we were happy to eat in town.

Will definitely return as it is perfect for a romantic break in the city!

• Stayed November 2012
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your experience at our hotel is very important to us. Your comments will help us to improve our total service.

Your kinds words about the staff and the hotel itself are really appreciated. It is nice to hear that the hotel met up your expectations and you had a great stay in Amsterdam.
Your points of attention for the minibar prices and the price for breakfast will be discussed with the releated departments, thanking you for pointing that out.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently stayed at this Hotel during Marathon weekend, primarily because it was on the marathon route. The room was expensive and disappointing. It was a good walk to any attractions or restaurants. Yes there are trams available (after a 5 minute walk). This hotel is really there to serve the nearby convention centre, so not great for tourists. Parking is expensive, Internet is expensive, food is expensive, etc. The bathtub / shower combo is awkward at best, and only 2 thin towels. Check the view before you accept the room they offer - we requested a move to a better view of the canal. The front desk staff were helpful. All in all, we didn't feel we received value for the money.

Room Tip: Tourists - stay closer to attractions.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I assure you that we will use this information to improve our service.

I do hope you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam. Although our hotel is located right outside the busy part of the city centre, all places of interest are within easy reach by foot or tram (stop location 5 minutes from the hotel). It is therefore unfortunate that we as hotel could not inform you well enough about the great location of the Wyndham Apollo Hotel between the lively city centre and the nice calmed south area of Amsterdam and with all main museums on walking distance.
The hotel also offers a bike and scooter rental to explore the city in your own tempo and on a typical Dutch way.
I am sorry the read that you experienced our extras services as expensive. I would like to point out that we offer free Wi-Fi internet for Wyndham members which you can ask for at the reception. Membership of Wyndham by Request is free of charge.

I enjoyed reading the nice comments of the staff; I will make sure that the team is informed about this.

I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and we hope to welcome you again at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam!

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Well this hotel is not as pictured on the website. Within ten minutes of walking into my first room, I was back at the hotel check-in desk. Room 201 was in terrible condition. The carpet was worn down to the treads, curtains ripped, and cigarette burns on the chair. After my explanation was heard, I was placed into a better room. Meanwhile, I was able to pay 12.50 euros for internet for the day.
The second room still had issues. Tv had sound but no picture. This was then fixed by the same desk clerk. (Poor lady needs to do everything around here.) Now, I can't get the room warm and the little teapot won't heat water. I am going down to the lounge, maybe a glass of wine and something to eat will make things better. Let's see how that goes..

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your experiences at our hotel is very important to us. Your information will help us to improve our service.

I am really sorry to hear that your first room did not meet up your expectations; I hope that the second room which is closer by the elevators made you feel better. We have 24 hours per day a Duty Manager in the hotel, for solving problems and technical issues. It is good to hear that she directly came to your room to fix the television issue.
I would like to inform you about the updating of the rooms, we have recently renovated a part of the hotel and in the near future we are renovating the rest of the hotel. Please be informed that all our
Executive rooms have been renovated.

I hope that after check in you had a great stay in our hotel and that you enjoyed your dink in our Marina Lounge.

We hope that we have the opportunity to may welcome you back in the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam!

General Manager Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We paid $500 / night for this hotel in Amsterdam. It is more of a business hotel than tourist. All restaurants / attractions are a fair walk / cab ride away. Rooms were small, only provided 2 thin towels, and the tub / shower combo is very awkward to use. Concierge staff were very helpful. Not good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear sir/madam,

I do hope you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam. Although our hotel is located right outside the busy part of the city centre, all places of interest are within easy reach by foot or tram (stop located 5 minutes from the hotel). It is therefore unfortunate that we as hotel could not inform you well enough about the great location of the Wyndham Apollo Hotel between the lively city centre and the nice calmed South area of Amsterdam and with all main museums on walking distance.

Our Technical department has been informed about the he points of attention about the shower in the room .

Thank you for your kind words by complimenting the service of the concierge desk. I will make sure that the gentlemen’s are informed about this.

I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and we hope to welcome you again at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager, Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here whilst attending a conference at the RAI, for which it is very convenient. Local shops, restaurants and tram stops are a five to ten minute walk away and the ride into 'old' Amsterdam takes about ten minutes.
Hotel is large and a trifle soul-less and from the outside certainly looks a bit dated and shabby. It doesn't help that the architecture appears totally out of place with its surroundings.
All that said, the inside of the hotel is well appointed and pleasant. Our room, overlooking the canal was large and comfortable.
Staff were all helpful and friendly. My main gripe would be the high cost of Wi-Fi (just give it for free at these room rates!) and the costly breakfast (which we avoided by walking down the road).
If I were to visit the RAI again I might return; if I came back on holiday I'd look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I'd favour canal-side, but they do cost more!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!