“beatiful hotel booked through expedia and got charged by expedia and hotel.. not a happy bunny...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Apollo

Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #107 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

Got charged twice 1 from expedia when i book it a month before i went, and the other from hotel when we booked out..Hotel is a bit far out form the centre... about 10 stops in the tram... if i was going to holland again i would book a bit closer to the centre...It was a beautiful hotel.. Breakfast far too expensive £22.50 pp.. rip off...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
WyndhamApollo, Hotelmanager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused when charging your room twice. Even so, we are happy to hear you liked the hotel and thank you for your comment on our breakfast, this will help us to improve our level of service..

Hotelmanager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

As I travel for business in Europe circa 10 times per year, and I am generally in Amsterdam at least two of those times, I will not be staying at this hotel again. Upon check-in I requested whether it would be possible for a room upgrade as I was booked on a first floor room and knew that I was staying in this hotel for 7 nights and paying circa US $2300 total. After some searching, the very nice gentleman at the reception said he was able to secure me an upgraded room on the 5th floor with a balcony - which I eagerly took.

Upon entrance to the floor, I was met with a large stain in front of the elevator. Obviously not the best omen. I entered the hotel room, which according to the fire escape chart was smaller than other rooms, but I discovered I had a large balcony which was quite an unexpected surprise and made up for the space. However, the room itself in no way shape or form matched the website pictures, the furniture was very run down which ample chips and cracks, the gold lounge chairs (which, while very comfy) had numerous stains all over them, the side table was wobbly with large cracks and plastic peeling off it, the tub had black mildew stains in the caulking, and somehow the toilet also had stains leading all the way into the bowls bottom. Overall, not a pleasant sight. On the plus side, the bed seemed comfortable.

So, I called down to reception, and requested a room that matched the website pictures. The receptionist asked which website did I use, as the pictures were not representative of the rooms available. I told her I used the Wyndham website. She said that the pictures used were put up by Wyndham as stock photos.

Then I inquired whether there were any rooms which had been renovated, and she tartly stated that she noticed I had already been upgraded to a larger room, but that if I absolutely wanted a smaller room which had the same view, but no balcony, but had been renovated that I could pay an additional 30 euros for one. Thanks, but no thanks - especially if the room might or might-not match the pictures on the website.

In prior trips to Amsterdam, I have stayed at the Hotel Okura, which is nearby the Wyndham, and the Park Hotel and Renaissance Amsterdam hotels downtown. I would recommend one of these hotels over this one until all the rooms are renovated and the pictures match the rooms. I uploaded some pictures which are more indicative of the rooms below for other TripAdvisors.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
WyndhamApollo, Hotelmanager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for your review. Hereby I offer you my sincere apologies. Could you please provide me with your contact details? This way I will be able to take direct measures. If you not wish to provide your contact details on tripadvisor, please contact me via mt.wyndham@apollohotelsresorts.com

Yours sincerely,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

I booked this hotel as a mystery hotel - with a great offer of 2 for 1. On booking it - I was then able to see what the hotel was and the best ways t get around Amsterdam. The tips on these reviews really helped. When landing at Schipol airport, we caught the train to Amsterdam Zuid (8 euros each) and then either a number 5 or 24 tram to Apollolaan tram stop - the total journey took about 40 mins - which included a 5 minute walk from the tram stop to the hotel - a total of 21 euros as oppossed to the taxi of 40 euros. We got to the hotel at about 10 in the morning and left our luggage there. The checking in process was really smooth. The rrom was fine - bed really comfortable and show amazing (yes it did soak the floor - but the shower made up for it!!). We had just booked room only - as we wanted to explore the city and eat out. However, I did enquire as to how much the breakfast was and for a buffer was 22.50 euros - which I thought was very steep - so didn't eat there. On the whole, a really enjoyable stay - an I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Moscow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

+ good breakfast, good conference facilities, attentive staff, quiet
- rooms badly need renovation, uncomfortable bed, far away from all attractions
not a 4 star hotel by any means - 3* at best

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to remark on your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam. We are sorry to hear our hotel did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately not all rooms have been renovated yet. This will be done in the future.

Although the room was not to your satisfaction, we are happy to notice that you have enjoyed the breakfast and conference facilities. And of course, it is always nice to hear our staff is attentive towards our guests!

Again thank you for your review.

Turin, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I was in Amsterdam for Business and my company reserved me this hotel . After reservation (sic!) I checked Tripadvisor and...well believe tripadvisors!
Looking to another review I decided to take with me 'just in case' the reservation with descriptin of the room I reserved (superior, view on the city).
The location is far from the center (you need a taxci to reach it).
When I arrived, I had to wait 20' for the check in (4 people behind the desk , with 3 of them doing nothing, just looking...). The concierge (a woman very rude) told me they reserved me " a very good room".
When I entered in the room I discovered the view was literally 2 meters far from the parking!! Very rumorous, etc....so I went back at the reception telling that was not my room, as Amsterdam is not a parking and that was not a city view my reservation described (I has to show them the paper with description of the reserved room)....as told from another one on tripadvisor , they told that 'just to make a favour' they were going to change the room with a superios class one withour extra cost... the room was quite good: godd fornitures but unfortunatley not very clean anyway.
The morning after I asked for breakfast with was really expensive respect to the cappuccino and croissant I asked for!!
Th only really gentle person of the staff was the man serving breakfast: the only one to smile to clients and really, really polite.
Next time I'll be in Amsterdam I change hotel for sure! Apollo no more!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, Hotelmanager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear madam,

Thank you for taking the time to remark on your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam. Unfortunately your stay did not meet your expectations. First of all, I offer you my sincere apologies. Something like this can not and should not happen in our hotel. Could you please provide me with your contact details? This way I will be able to check what exactly went wrong and take direct measures to prevent this in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I have just returned after a weekend in Amsterdam. The room was modern and large the hotel very inviting and spacious. We felt we had our privacy at all times but had great service when we neededit. There was a tram around the corner and the area is safe and a calm oasis from the town centre. We will be heading back in the summer and will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
WyndhamApollo, Hotelmanager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay. We are extremely happy to hear your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam was to your satisfaction. It is always nice to hear the service towards our guests is of high quality.

We are looking forward to see you again in the summer.

Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed at the Wyndham Apollo hotel for 3 nights at the end of August 2010. Our experience was perhaps affected by the weather (it rained for 3 days in a row) and by the taxi driver who tried to rip us off, knowing we are foreigners, on the fare from the train station to the hotel. The hotel is located roughly 6km south from the train station, so it's pretty far from major landmarks, and beware taxis nor public transport are in no way cheap. The lobby and the ground floor area is nicely furnished and makes a pretty good impression, yet on the whole it feels pretty cold and not too welcoming. You had to pay for the Internet, which I personally hate, and the rooms definitely felt outdated. There was no sauna, no swimming pool nor a fitness center, only a spa, for which you had to pay extra. There aren't too many restaurants around, and I'm pretty sure there are better hotels within this price range that are worthy of attention. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
WyndhamApollo, Manager at Wyndham Apollo, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
Dear Sir,

We are sorry to hear that Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam did not meet your expectations. We thank you for taking the time to remark on your stay as this allows us to continue improving our level of service.

Regarding your comment on the fitness facilities, we do offer a fitness room as pointed out next to the hotel entrance. Unfortunately you have not noticed this sign.

We offer complimentary Internet to our Wyndham Rewards Members. We would gladly assist you in becoming a member.

Kind regards,

Hotelmanager

Been to Wyndham Apollo? Share your experiences!