“Nice place to stay in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Van Holland House

Van Holland House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Van Holland House
Weteringschans 271, 1017 XJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #258 of 304 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Brescia, Italy
“Nice place to stay in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed 4 nights in this b&b during Christmas time and I think this is a good place to stay in Amsterdam. The location is good, it is easily possible to walk to city center and tram stop is very close. We slept in a room that cost 70 euro, the room wasn't big but with two beautiful windows and a nice bathroom with a big bath, breakfast is in the room.
The guy that manage this place seems to be rude but actually when you need something he is always ready to help. Amsterdam is a expensive city to visit, I have been many times there and I really think that this is a good place where to stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Antwerp
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

In short, don't waste your time or money at this place.
There are to many problems to list, the biggest one is that this is NOT a luxury B&B.
And be sure you can climb steep stairs as this place has lots of those.
Rooms on the front side can be hot and noise from all the trams comes in the windows as these rooms are right on the street.

Stayed first week of May with family.

Room Tip: Don't take room 4. Be careful of stepping out of the tub in room 5 and you will love the "l...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

In Jan. of 2013 we had reserved a room at Van Holland House for May 18 to the 21st. 2013 and had received a written confirmation of the reservation with the rate.
When we arrived at the property on the 18th. there was no one on the site except one other tenant who had a contact number which was different from the one we were given.
When we finally made contact with the person he stated that he had no record of the reservation and would not rent to us.
We were then left with no room at 8:30 on a holiday weekend and no help from Van Holland House.
Do not rent from them and they should be taken off this site.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milano
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

As I read trough the comment of this BeB, it seems like I am not the first to experience that.
In details:
1- I ask for room availability
2- The owner replies saying he has a room left
3- I answer that it is fine for me and that I want to book it
4- he replies sending me pictures of the room (I did not ask them, but fine!)
5- I reply again saying that I like the room, and repeating that I was willing to book it
6- After one day....ta-dah!!!!...he replies saying that all rooms are booked now....sorry!

This is not the way to deal with a potential guest. I am sorry. It looks like (I am guessing) he was taking time to have the confirmation of a better (longher time?) reservation. Hope the owner will learn something by reading this comment. To all the future guest: by the time, good luck with him!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Van Holland House dopesn't look like a B&B from the outside, just like an ordinary Amsterdam house, which is a bit disconcerting at first and both we and a couple of girls a few days later couldn't get acces - the bells don't work - but all you do is ring Denny and he will let you in!. We had the double room No 5 on the second floor, a superb spacious room with ensuite bathroom, big wardrobe, comfortable bed, very clean, light and airy, with masses of towels should we have needed them. The bathroom has ashower over the bath which was magnificent - lots of good pressure and as hot as you need (weather was very hot that weekend so we diidn't!). Denny was very helpful, kept asking if there was anything we needed and when we left anote asking for some fresh fruit for breakfast he supplied some. He showed us where to leave our bags on the Monday morning and lket us keep the keys for later as we didn't leave the city till the evening.

Breakfast is basic, do-it-yourself, which suited us. There was a fridge and basket stocked with bread, crackers, ham, cheese, butter, juice, milk and various teas and instant coffee - normal Dutch breakfast.

The location is great, as its on Weteringschans on the route of several trams, 25 and 4 which go into Centraal, 7 and 10 which are cross city and very useful indeed. It's walking distance from the museum area, and yet away from the huge crowds and noise of the Damrak. There is the soiund of the trams at night and early morning, but you do get used to it and it's suchan Amsterdam sound!. There's a great cafe/bar 50 yards away doing good food and drink, which we used quite often as we like real coffee!

All in all a great place to stay, a good price for an excellent location and room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The rooms are nice enough in a good location. However we had a very bad experience with the manager (as it seems other reviewers had- wish i had seen those reviews before!).

There was a problem with the toilet and when I reported it he aggressively accused me of breaking it. He told me I had to pay for the repair. When I refused as I hadn't done anything he got very angry and screamed at me. In the end he did not make me pay but I felt very anxious about leaving my belongings in the room as he had access to it. Luckily it didn't go further but it left me uneasy for the rest of my stay.

The unprofessional attitude was just shocking and especially intimidating for female travelers. It may be cheap but it's not worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed here for the Easter Week in 2009. The B&B was completely new and we chose it because its price (It didn't still have reviews on tripadvisor), we paid 800 for 7 nights at the Studio (Well, in the first e-mail the owner said 700 euros and after having booked he said 800 euros. It wasn't very polite but it was still good price)

We have the fridge with all the basic things to prepare our breakfast (milk, cheese, ham, butter, bread, biscuits...) and all was very new. The only complaint was that nobody came to clean the Apartment but it wasn't a big problem for us...

It was a bit noisy (you could hear the tram at night, so if you are a light sleeper it won't suit you) but we were so tired that we could sleep without problems.

We didn't see the owner very much so we can't say very much about him...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Van Holland House? Share your experiences!