“Perfect location, superb room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Van Holland House

Van Holland House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Van Holland House
Save Saved
You added Van Holland House to your Saves list
Weteringschans 271, 1017 XJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #253 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect location, superb room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Van Holland House dopesn't look like a B&B from the outside, just like an ordinary Amsterdam house, which is a bit disconcerting at first and both we and a couple of girls a few days later couldn't get acces - the bells don't work - but all you do is ring Denny and he will let you in!. We had the double room No 5 on the second floor, a superb spacious room with ensuite bathroom, big wardrobe, comfortable bed, very clean, light and airy, with masses of towels should we have needed them. The bathroom has ashower over the bath which was magnificent - lots of good pressure and as hot as you need (weather was very hot that weekend so we diidn't!). Denny was very helpful, kept asking if there was anything we needed and when we left anote asking for some fresh fruit for breakfast he supplied some. He showed us where to leave our bags on the Monday morning and lket us keep the keys for later as we didn't leave the city till the evening.

Breakfast is basic, do-it-yourself, which suited us. There was a fridge and basket stocked with bread, crackers, ham, cheese, butter, juice, milk and various teas and instant coffee - normal Dutch breakfast.

The location is great, as its on Weteringschans on the route of several trams, 25 and 4 which go into Centraal, 7 and 10 which are cross city and very useful indeed. It's walking distance from the museum area, and yet away from the huge crowds and noise of the Damrak. There is the soiund of the trams at night and early morning, but you do get used to it and it's suchan Amsterdam sound!. There's a great cafe/bar 50 yards away doing good food and drink, which we used quite often as we like real coffee!

All in all a great place to stay, a good price for an excellent location and room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The rooms are nice enough in a good location. However we had a very bad experience with the manager (as it seems other reviewers had- wish i had seen those reviews before!).

There was a problem with the toilet and when I reported it he aggressively accused me of breaking it. He told me I had to pay for the repair. When I refused as I hadn't done anything he got very angry and screamed at me. In the end he did not make me pay but I felt very anxious about leaving my belongings in the room as he had access to it. Luckily it didn't go further but it left me uneasy for the rest of my stay.

The unprofessional attitude was just shocking and especially intimidating for female travelers. It may be cheap but it's not worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed here for the Easter Week in 2009. The B&B was completely new and we chose it because its price (It didn't still have reviews on tripadvisor), we paid 800 for 7 nights at the Studio (Well, in the first e-mail the owner said 700 euros and after having booked he said 800 euros. It wasn't very polite but it was still good price)

We have the fridge with all the basic things to prepare our breakfast (milk, cheese, ham, butter, bread, biscuits...) and all was very new. The only complaint was that nobody came to clean the Apartment but it wasn't a big problem for us...

It was a bit noisy (you could hear the tram at night, so if you are a light sleeper it won't suit you) but we were so tired that we could sleep without problems.

We didn't see the owner very much so we can't say very much about him...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tilburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The reviews posted seem to be very polarized -- either a terrible experience, or great deal. I definitely agree with the latter. We stayed in a studio apartment on Fredriksplein, about 3 stops, or 5 minutes by tram away from Leidseplein. We booked only a day in advance, over the phone, and the cleaner arranged to let us in at a certain time. The room was clean and modern, not large (think Amsterdam), you have to walk up two flights of tall narrow stairs (again, think Amsterdam); they provided juice, coffee tea ham and cheese and bread. We paid about 120 EUR: expensive, but reasonably good value for Amsterdam. This was at least 30 EUR cheaper than the other hotels we looked at (though hostels are cheaper). Overall, I'm satisfied with our stay, and would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We reserved and stayed 3 days in July 2011. The room was very clean, fully equipped, well furnished and comfortable. Free and excellent WIFI. We would highly recommend the place. The tram stopped right in front of the location, and there is a large open air market running several blocks nearby.

Only negative was the two steep sets of stairs to the room. This was expected, normal and not a problem for us. The manager was very acommodating.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hull UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I have just got back from staying 4 nights in the Van Holland House and had a great time. We stayed in the studio apartment, which was spotlessly clean, modern and finished to a high standard.
After reading a couple of reviews we were slightly concerned about this accommodation, however, we did not need to worry, the communication from the owner was good, I got a quick response from every e-mail I sent and we had no issues with the owner, he was helpful and made sure that the breakfast was well stocked and if we ran out of anything, he re-stocked them for us.
The apartment itself even had a dishwasher... which was a nice surprise and also the shower room is brilliant!
Tram 4 stops directly outside the apartment which is only 10-15 minutes from central station, so good location to visit the city. From the apartment you can here the trams passing, as well as some noise from the main door when it opens and closes, but to be honest this is expected when staying in a large city and did not effect our stay as our trip was for leisure, the local area is a nice part of the city and was recommended to us by my Sister, as she lives in the city. I would definately stay at this apartment again when we re-visit family.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I had truly the most horrifying time in this place. I booked for four nights and decided to leave after two because it was way too noisy (I was staying on the ground floor, where the passing tram makes the room shake every five minutes, and the banging door of the main entrance right next to the room make for a very restless night). I found the owner (Danny) strange when I arrived since he wouldn't leave my room for ages, but that was just a little irritating. However, when I emailed him about wanting to leave, I asked in my email whether he was in at the time, and when he would like me to pay him, and how. Within 2 minutes there was a knock on my door and when I opened, he screamed at me to get the money right now and to then f**k off and accused me of not wanting to pay. I told him I had no intention of leaving without paying, and that's why I contacted him to ask him how and when I could pay him. But he kept screaming at me and coming closer and closer, and I can honestly say, I've never felt so scared. The place does not have a communal area and I had no idea whether there were other people in the house at the time. I told him to stop acting like this since he was scaring me, and he just said 'yes, you be scared'. When I said I will call the police, he just kept shouting and intimidating me'. After a while I managed to run past him and run upstairs to find my colleague who was staying on the top floor. On the way there, another guest thankfully came out of his room and I begged him to not go away. All along the owner just kept shouting and shouting. Then my colleague came downstairs, I got the money, paid him and left. My colleague left a few minutes after me, despite already having paid for the entire four days. He did not give me a receipt (he claimed he didn't have access to the room, which makes no sense, since he spent all day in this room). I will now report him to the police, but just urge any women traveling on their own, to not stay with him!!!!! I can't stress enough how scared I was when I thought no one else was in the house. I didn't even manage to ring my colleague as my hands were shaking so much. I was sure he was going to beat me up or worse. Since his anger was so wholly illogical and unreasonable, I felt completely helpless and vulnerable. I don't want any woman to ever experience what I experienced in that place!! From now on I will only book into places with several staff, communal areas, and a reception desk!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Van Holland House? Share your experiences!