“Excellent value. Lovely place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Van Holland House

Van Holland House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Van Holland House
Save Saved
You added Van Holland House to your Saves list
Weteringschans 271, 1017 XJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #250 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Santa Ana, California
“Excellent value. Lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We reserved and stayed 3 days in July 2011. The room was very clean, fully equipped, well furnished and comfortable. Free and excellent WIFI. We would highly recommend the place. The tram stopped right in front of the location, and there is a large open air market running several blocks nearby.

Only negative was the two steep sets of stairs to the room. This was expected, normal and not a problem for us. The manager was very acommodating.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hull UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I have just got back from staying 4 nights in the Van Holland House and had a great time. We stayed in the studio apartment, which was spotlessly clean, modern and finished to a high standard.
After reading a couple of reviews we were slightly concerned about this accommodation, however, we did not need to worry, the communication from the owner was good, I got a quick response from every e-mail I sent and we had no issues with the owner, he was helpful and made sure that the breakfast was well stocked and if we ran out of anything, he re-stocked them for us.
The apartment itself even had a dishwasher... which was a nice surprise and also the shower room is brilliant!
Tram 4 stops directly outside the apartment which is only 10-15 minutes from central station, so good location to visit the city. From the apartment you can here the trams passing, as well as some noise from the main door when it opens and closes, but to be honest this is expected when staying in a large city and did not effect our stay as our trip was for leisure, the local area is a nice part of the city and was recommended to us by my Sister, as she lives in the city. I would definately stay at this apartment again when we re-visit family.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I had truly the most horrifying time in this place. I booked for four nights and decided to leave after two because it was way too noisy (I was staying on the ground floor, where the passing tram makes the room shake every five minutes, and the banging door of the main entrance right next to the room make for a very restless night). I found the owner (Danny) strange when I arrived since he wouldn't leave my room for ages, but that was just a little irritating. However, when I emailed him about wanting to leave, I asked in my email whether he was in at the time, and when he would like me to pay him, and how. Within 2 minutes there was a knock on my door and when I opened, he screamed at me to get the money right now and to then f**k off and accused me of not wanting to pay. I told him I had no intention of leaving without paying, and that's why I contacted him to ask him how and when I could pay him. But he kept screaming at me and coming closer and closer, and I can honestly say, I've never felt so scared. The place does not have a communal area and I had no idea whether there were other people in the house at the time. I told him to stop acting like this since he was scaring me, and he just said 'yes, you be scared'. When I said I will call the police, he just kept shouting and intimidating me'. After a while I managed to run past him and run upstairs to find my colleague who was staying on the top floor. On the way there, another guest thankfully came out of his room and I begged him to not go away. All along the owner just kept shouting and shouting. Then my colleague came downstairs, I got the money, paid him and left. My colleague left a few minutes after me, despite already having paid for the entire four days. He did not give me a receipt (he claimed he didn't have access to the room, which makes no sense, since he spent all day in this room). I will now report him to the police, but just urge any women traveling on their own, to not stay with him!!!!! I can't stress enough how scared I was when I thought no one else was in the house. I didn't even manage to ring my colleague as my hands were shaking so much. I was sure he was going to beat me up or worse. Since his anger was so wholly illogical and unreasonable, I felt completely helpless and vulnerable. I don't want any woman to ever experience what I experienced in that place!! From now on I will only book into places with several staff, communal areas, and a reception desk!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Riga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

We supposed to go to Amsterdam in November, contacted owner (manager?) Mies through mail, got reply about the price and.. that's all.
We have written around 15 letters, got no reply, we tried to call, he dodn't pick the phone!
For 2(!) weeks we tried to get reply if he will confirm our booking or not! During telephone calls, he promisec to confirm "in two hours", but no reply or confirmation!

Today, after 2 weeks he said, that he has got no rooms! Can you imagine!?

Please, be sure, that even if you have booked this guest house, you will never be sure, that you will get confirmation!

BE AWARE!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

I found the Van Holland to be a very good guest house.

The location is excellent: while it's south of Amsterdam's main commercial and leisure area, it's within walking distance of the museum, and plenty of trams, whose routes cover the most of Amsterdam, stop right outside its front door. One tram goes direct from Amsterdam's main train station - Centraal Station. The only downside was that the entrance to the Van Holland is non-descript, so checking its location on Google Map's Street View was a necessity. The area is also extremely quiet at night.

Booking at the Van Holland did take longer than I'd have liked. It required requesting a room on the website, then waiting for a confirmation emails. This took a few days. However, that was the only flaw in the service. The owner/manager met me on my arrival, despite it being late in the evening, and he was courteous and extremely helpful.

While my double room was small, that's common in houses in central Amsterdam so isn't something to complain about. It was very well decorated and was clean. The bed was extremely comfortable, and there was a TV and free wifi.

Part of the wardrobe was taken up with a fridge, cuttlery, plates, mugs and food. On arrival I found the food was as described: bread (excellent quality), tasty Dutch cheese and ham (packaged, but not processed), granula cereal, crispbreads, oatcakes, milk, juice, jam, butter, coffee and teas. The amount of food left was very generous for a solo traveller - as well as a large breakfast, I was able to put together a lunch as well.

My shower and toilet were not en suite and separate, but were only a few steps from my room, so it wasn't an inconvenience.

I found the €80/night fee to be high for a solo traveller. But given the location and quality of the room and service provided, reasonable for a city centre guest house - especially one in a popular business and tourist destination like Amsterdam.

Overall, I'd recommend the Van Holland for short breaks or business trips in Amsterdam. For a longer stay (more than a week), I'd prefer to have the facilities of a large hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I found Van Holland House after much searching on the internet for a B&B for the weekend. I know Amsterdam well and this B&B was well situated. Furthermore the website was extremely attractive and showed very attractive rooms with thoughtful design. Despite one negative critic of the breakfast it was still worth the reservation given the attractive price and location. I made my first booking through the website but after a few days with no confirmation decided to request a reservation by email directly to the owner. The response time was very long but finally I received an automated message telling me that there was availability for the largest and most expensive room. I immediately responded that I would like to make the booking and requested they send me instructions on how to pay. No response for a few days and so I sent out 2 further emails to ask how I could make payment and confirm my room. Finally the response from the B&B came which said their paypal system was not yet up and running and so it was ok that I pay everything in cash on arrival (I still have these emails as proof). In reply to this I confirmed back to say that I agreed to their offer of paying the totality in cash on arrival.
However, I never feel entirely secure unless I have an official confirmation for my reservation, so on the Wednesday before our weekend stay I asked a Dutch friend to call Van Holland House and ask if they were expecting me and my partner for the weekend. To our great suprise the person on the phone did not really speak Dutch but preferred English and even then the communication was a little difficult. This was not the owner but possibly a person who worked there. The person denied having any reservation in my name and when told of the email sent from "Mies" that instructed that I could pay in cash refused to understand that this could stand as a guarantee. All the rooms were booked on other names for the weekend and so there was no possibility of staying at Van Holland House. This kind of service is totally unacceptable and does not fit with the self categorisation of "luxury bed & breakfast". The person on the phone was extremely unpleasant, unhelpful and had no understanding for the error that had been committed. It is unfortunate that I had this experience as I seriously think if all had gone as planned I would have probably given this B&B a very good review as the people who have been able to stay here have been relatively positive about the rooms and the location. But due to what happened I will never try to stay at Van Holland House again nor will I recommend this B&B to any travellers that are looking to spend a carefree holiday in Amsterdam.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I live in Amsterdam and booked a room when some friends visited me because of the location, close to the city and close to my own house. The website seemed a bit too good to be true, but I must say that it was a good surprise: it really looks like on the pictures. It's pretty, it's new, it's modern, it's spotlessly clean. Only disappointment came from the breakfast, but they are nice places around to compensate.
So ok, paying about 100 euros breakfast not included (well included but not good) is not cheap, but it's Amsterdam, it's not a big crowded and cold hotel, and it almost makes you feel local...
Plus you can walk anywhere from here! Museumplein 5min, Rembrandtplein 5min (via the most lovely streets), Leidseplein 5min, Dam Square 15min.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Van Holland House? Share your experiences!