I have waited 24 hours after checking out to write this review, to allow some objectivity to appear.I think it is easier to comment in list form.
1. The photos on the hotel website are almost totally staged.
2.The "Foyer" is an area about 15 feet square with grotty old furniture and carpet on the floor that is threadbare and filthy.
3. To access the lift one has to climb half a dozen stairs.
4. There is only ever one staff member on duty and he/she is usually tucked away behind the desk oblivious to any goings on around them. You carry your own bags up and down these stairs.
5. Once in the lift you are confronted again by the grotty condition. The walls of the lift have graffiti scratched into them. The floor is badly stained.
6. The lift takes you to your floor - 3 - in our case. Once again the carpet on the hall floor is stained and old.
7. Entering the room one is met by a smell of mustiness. There is no carpet on the floor - cheap timber panel flooring. There are 2 windows. Both frosted glass. The first is tucked away behind the very old laminated timber wardrobe and allows minimal light into the room. It doesn't open. The second is high above the bed. Upon climbing on the bed to open it, I found that the window sill was covered, and I mean covered, with mouse droppings. I don't think it had been cleaned since the last time it was painted, and from the look of things that was a long time ago. At least that window, which was about 4ft long by 1ft wide, would open. That let some fresh air into the room. At night we discovered that the curtain, note singular, over each window, was not wide enough to block out the light. It was obvious that each window originally had a 2 part curtain, but somewhere along the line one from each had disappeared and not been replaced. Given that the daylight at this time of the year extends late into the night, that became a major problem.
8. The bedding was clean, but the pillows were very old and I was afraid to remove the pillow slips for fear of what I might find.
9. The bathroom was clean, but the door leading into it was in dire need of a coat of paint. The vent on the bottom of the door was filthy.
10. We laughed when we saw the vending machine in the foyer, supposedly to provide snacks for residents 24 hours a day. For the first 48 hours we were there, it contained 5 Mars bars.
11. The hotel fronts onto one of the many canals in the area and clearly a few of the rooms have a view over the canal - ours didn't. But, just like the rest of this part of Amsterdam that footpath/cycle way is strewn with cigarette butts and other debris. The hotel makes no attempt to clean up the relatively small area of its frontage.
12. The only area I could give a pass mark to is the breakfast. Although basic, it is adequate. And the fact that it is provided in the pub next door means that the place is clean.
In summary, whoever in Holland gave this hotel a 3 star rating was obviously on the same committee that allocated the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- France Hotel is located on a quiet canal street and yet only 200 meters from Amsterdam Central Station. The hotel has an adjoining restaurant and Irish pub. The rooms have air conditioning, free Wi-Fi and a private bathroom. A breakfast buffet is served daily in the restaurant and pub. When weather is nice, guests can sit on the small, waterside terrace. During the day, guests can get snacks and drinks from the vending machines in the lobby. The internet computer can be used against a small fee. From France Hotel, you can take a 10-minute walk to Dam Square and go shopping in the Kalverstraat. The Red Light District is a 5-minute walk away. Trams 5, 16 and 24 at the station offer direct access to the Museum Square. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, HostelBookers, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Floris France Hotel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.