“Worst hotel we've ever stayed in!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Floris France Hotel Amsterdam

You added Floris France Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Floris France Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Kolk 11, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Ranked #311 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Nelson Bay, Australia
“Worst hotel we've ever stayed in!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I have waited 24 hours after checking out to write this review, to allow some objectivity to appear.I think it is easier to comment in list form.
1. The photos on the hotel website are almost totally staged.
2.The "Foyer" is an area about 15 feet square with grotty old furniture and carpet on the floor that is threadbare and filthy.
3. To access the lift one has to climb half a dozen stairs.
4. There is only ever one staff member on duty and he/she is usually tucked away behind the desk oblivious to any goings on around them. You carry your own bags up and down these stairs.
5. Once in the lift you are confronted again by the grotty condition. The walls of the lift have graffiti scratched into them. The floor is badly stained.
6. The lift takes you to your floor - 3 - in our case. Once again the carpet on the hall floor is stained and old.
7. Entering the room one is met by a smell of mustiness. There is no carpet on the floor - cheap timber panel flooring. There are 2 windows. Both frosted glass. The first is tucked away behind the very old laminated timber wardrobe and allows minimal light into the room. It doesn't open. The second is high above the bed. Upon climbing on the bed to open it, I found that the window sill was covered, and I mean covered, with mouse droppings. I don't think it had been cleaned since the last time it was painted, and from the look of things that was a long time ago. At least that window, which was about 4ft long by 1ft wide, would open. That let some fresh air into the room. At night we discovered that the curtain, note singular, over each window, was not wide enough to block out the light. It was obvious that each window originally had a 2 part curtain, but somewhere along the line one from each had disappeared and not been replaced. Given that the daylight at this time of the year extends late into the night, that became a major problem.
8. The bedding was clean, but the pillows were very old and I was afraid to remove the pillow slips for fear of what I might find.
9. The bathroom was clean, but the door leading into it was in dire need of a coat of paint. The vent on the bottom of the door was filthy.
10. We laughed when we saw the vending machine in the foyer, supposedly to provide snacks for residents 24 hours a day. For the first 48 hours we were there, it contained 5 Mars bars.
11. The hotel fronts onto one of the many canals in the area and clearly a few of the rooms have a view over the canal - ours didn't. But, just like the rest of this part of Amsterdam that footpath/cycle way is strewn with cigarette butts and other debris. The hotel makes no attempt to clean up the relatively small area of its frontage.
12. The only area I could give a pass mark to is the breakfast. Although basic, it is adequate. And the fact that it is provided in the pub next door means that the place is clean.
In summary, whoever in Holland gave this hotel a 3 star rating was obviously on the same committee that allocated the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 103Sandshoes

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

After I keep looking for hostel or low price hotel for 3 hours I couldn't find any place to sleep and when it comes 3 am I been under rain and homeless even after I checked all hotels around except 5 starts hotels because it was out of my budget then I found that place and luckily I found one room with 55 euro and also they offer me break fast and it was great night there

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kasem A
Sofia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

To start wth the positive things, location is really good.Everything is in walking distance. Breakfast is in the next door Irish pub and was very good. The girl at the front desk was kind and helpful.On the negative side, price we paid for the room was too high for its quality. The room was small, not cleaned well and no windows,old stains from water leaks in the bathroom.Having in mind the location of the hotel it's a waste owners don't improve its quality.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travel_reality_82

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel before I knew what to expect, therefore I booked a Canal view room, and it was worth it, the room is bigger than the other rooms and you actually see something out of the window besides a brick wall. True the hotel desperately needs some refurbishment, everything is quite old and worn down, but then again the location is superb and the next door irish pub "Molly Malone " is just great, the breakfast is sufficient so are the meals they serve during the day.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: book a canal view room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night while on a business visit, if I was with my wife we would have gone to another hotel and ask for a refund. The room was filthy including the sheets and in very bad repair with the curtains falling down and water stains on the ceiling. The worse thing is as there were bed bugs. I only spotted them in the morning otherwise I would not have stayed the night. The breakfast was very poor. When I complained to reception about the bed bugs all they said was that it was terrible. The only good thing was the canal view.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Jonty98
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

A return visit to this hotel which is reasonably priced and in an excellent location. when booking a room pay the extra for a canal view. The location is why this hotel should be considered, Near the railway station, major tram lines and easy walking distance to the main shopping area and landmarks. The room was average, yes it was not sparking clean and could have done with a make over, but it is what it is. The pub next door Molly Malones serves good breakfast on behalf of the hotel. Use this hotel if having a short city break.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank alitalk
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I arrived at this hotel around 12:00 hours on the 16th of April 2014.
The receptionist was fine, but not totally enthusiastic, a bit 'matter of fact'. "I'm only doing a job and I'm not really that bothered".
We were given the keys to our room, number 307, We went to the lift and went up to the third floor. The cleaners were cleaning the rooms on both sides of the corridor. We past some rooms on our right hand side and they looked poor. I hoped our room would be better. The ones on the left hand side, overlooking the canal, looked much better. Alas, our room was situated at the rear of the 'hotel', on the right hand side. On opening the room door we found there was only one window, at the very top of the room, allowing light. Disappointed as we were, my wife started to examine every aspect of the room. There was another window, obscured by the an old wardrobe, with curtains that were hanging off the rail. The pillow case was taken off and my wife was horrified at the actual pillow which was very stained. She was not going to sleep on that pillow. I was dispatched to get some new pillows, and the new receptionist was a bit more helpful and we were given two new ones.
On leaving the hotel on our first trip out, waiting for the lift, we noticed the dust, beside the lift was at least a quarter of an inch deep. The cleaner obviously vacuums where the machine fits. The door to the ensuite toilet has an air vent at the bottom. It has never been cleaned. ( I have never been compelled to do a review before, so I hope there is a way of inserting photos) The manager, if there is one, the cleaner, and the people involved in this hotel, without too much persuasion, could, make this the three star hotel it is supposed to be. We were totally disappointed, although, after reading the other reviews there are some good points, mainly the location, and a decent breakfast being served in the Irish bar (Molly Malones) next door.

There is much more (negative) things I could say, but please (hopefully) just look at the photos.

JIB

Room Tip: Inist on a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple