“Excellent location & Helpful staff” 3 of 5 stars

Floris France Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Kolk 11, Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #291 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Heslington, null, United Kingdom
“Excellent location & Helpful staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

All we were after was a place to put our heads down for the night, so this hotel was spot on. The location is fantastic, and one of the members of staff proved to be incredibly helpful when I realised I'd booked us in for the wrong night...
The place itself is admittedly a bit run down and could definitely do with some TLC. However, from our experience, these are just aesthetic problems - we had no hygiene issues (or bedbugs!), though we were reluctant to use the hairdryer covered in tape(!) Breakfast is next door in an Irish Pub with a decent amount to choose from for food & drink. If all you need is somewhere to keep your stuff and get some sleep and be 5 minutes walk from both the station and Dam Square, I would very much recommend here.

Room Tip: It is possible to get a canal view, though we found off the canal was very quiet. There is consequen...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Location is good and the front desk staff was friendly in the evening (not at all in the morning). The corridor had a patch paint job in a different shade of white, which should have been my first hint to run. The room was small and shabby - furniture was scratched and the bed had someone else's hair in it. The bathroom smelled like urine.

After a while of watching tv I noticed something moving on the wall... upon closer inspection I saw it was a bedbug - and there were two of them. Absolutely unacceptable! I then got at least one set of bites... I wish we had forked out the extra money for somewhere that wasn't infested. Just awful.

Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at the France Hotel with a friend in October, and we were happy with the hotel over all.

This hotel's asset is it's location. Its a really good location for the price you pay as most hotels in the centre tend to be more pricey. This hotel is a short walk from the red light district and the central station, and is right round the corner from the voyager, grand central etc and not too far from dam square.

The hotel also provides a breakfast in the Irish pub next door, which was a nice enough breakfast. Selection of bacon ( too salty for me ) , egg, continental meats , cereal and fresh tea and coffee. The staff in the hotel were pleasant and let us keep our luggage at the hotel before and after check in so we didnt have to lug it around which was really helpful.

My only negative, and the reason i only gave 3 stars instead of 4 was the rooms. I paid for a twin room and on arrival I was sent to the basement room , not only did it have no windows but there was a generator for the ENTIRE hotel in the room we were given and the god foraken thing kept me awake for the night, despite me being told it was turned off at night. I can assure you the thing is on all night. I was not happy as I did not select a room without a window when I booked, and complained as was moved for the remaining two days into a room with a window and minus a generator. Rooms were still a bit naff, bathrooms look a bit dated and hostel ish.

I would recommend this hotel for its location, and is great for travelling with friends. I wouldnt say it a couples or family place, purely as its not the most comfortable or buggest places. Decent enough though, enjoyed my stay bar the issue with the rooms

Room Tip: make sure you have a room with a window!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Maplewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have been to this hotel several times over the years and like the central location of it. Its across the street from the Central Train Station and around the block from the Red Light District. There are many restaurants just off to the side and you even get breakfast in Molly Malones downstairs. The breakfast is really good since its a hot breakfast. Sight seeing is very easy with this central location and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The hotel was updated recently and the rooms are relatively new in decor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed 5nights at this hotel between 9th december - 14th. On our first night at room 302 we found bed bug in our room and they changed our room immediatly. The location of the hotel is perfect. They have free wifi. The elevator is so slow that you spend almost 3/4 of your holiday in it. it takes centuries to go upstairs or go downstairs with it. The rooms have small window like a prison cell.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We chose the France hotel based on a recommendation from a friend, it was a really good price for two rooms for four nights considering it's location. I think that is the hotel's main selling point, it is just outside the Red Light District (<2 min walk) and easily within walking distance of the main attractions in Amsterdam Central. Central station was a 5 minute walk, Artis Zoo 20 mins, Heineken Experience 25 mins so a brilliant location.

Arrived before the check in time of 2pm but both rooms were ready which was nice as we just wanted a nap after our early morning flight! Was greeted by a very strong smell of weed on our floor as we stepped out of the lift despite the clear no smoking rules of the hotel. Not a huge problem for us though I might add! Stepped into our 'executive' room which was slightly on the small side with just about enough room to shuffle around the bed. The room had two large windows with a beautiful view of the canal and some kind of church/just a pretty building haha. Bed was firm and very comfy, there was only one spare pillow though, I'm sure we could have asked for another though, we were just too lazy to do so! One thing I did notice just as I was going to bed was that the previous occupants had been smoking in our room as the smoke detector was covered with some item of clothing and a plastic bag. We meant to report it the next day but never got round to it (a recurring theme you'll find with my boyfriend and I!)

My main issue with this hotel was the noise. It's not on a main street so the outside noise was fine but our room was right next to the stairwell and they are metal stairs. The noise from people walking up and down them was almost unbearable! Our first three nights we had broken sleep because anytime someone went up or down we were both woken up by the racket of the stairs. I went down them myself and no matter how gently you try to walk, the stairs make the same awful noise. The walls between rooms and the doors are paper thin but the noise from people on our floor didn't bother us too much.

The breakfast included at the pub next door was good, and the hotel provided free wifi which was a nice touch. All the staff we encountered were very polite and friendly, even the maintenance man who came to replace the bulbs in the bathroom when he noticed the bag over the smoke alarm (which we still hadn't got around to reporting!), he didn't blame us and gave us the benefit of the doubt which I don't think I would have if I were him and there were two twenty odd year old's that clearly spend a lot of time in the coffeeshops with a dodgy smoke alarm!

Overall this hotel is ok if you're on a budget, the location is excellent and the rooms basic but clean.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 11 ie 211 or 311 as those were the one's affected by the stairs.
South Gate, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is a perfect place to stay in Amsterdam. Literally across the street from the Central Train Station and around the corner from the Red Light District. Walking distance from Bars, Restaurants and Shopping.

Room Tip: Rooms vary and depend on your liking, i never plan to be in the room other than sleeping and this pl...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Floris France Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!