“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars

West Side Inn Hostel Bargain Toko
Voorburgstraat 250 B, 1059 VD Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #150 of 173 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Sydney
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the West Side Inn in 2010 when it was named HEM Amsterdam Hotel, and that was a good experience so we decided to try their new extension Toko at 50 euros/night which is really cheap for Amsterdam. Part of the challenge with this hotel is finding it so as we already knew how to find it that wasn't a problem. If this is your first stay I recommend you enlarge a Google Map, find Delphiplein shopping center, and then it is just a matter of walking under the A10 freeway.
The Toko has been built on the freeway side of the main hotel. The construction materials must comply to Dutch standards but seem a bit flimsy, like the hall floors sway a bit when you pull heavy luggage. My lady said it made her feel seasick. The room is small, we tried to measure it and found 2,8 by 5 metres which is 14 metres total of which the beds take 4 metres and the bathroom another 4. The toilet is so close to the shower wall that you must sit at angle to use it. The lights are like 15 watts which is crazy because the lights in the hallway are at least 100W. The TV didn't work at all but the next day they replaced it with an apparently brand new one. We were there 3 nights. On the first two mornings the hot and cold taps were like cold and colder reminding me of Russia 20 years ago. But after we had rearranged our showering to evenings I found on the third morning there was plenty of hot water despite more guests, in fact I suspect they made more hot water available because there were more guests.
On the plus side, the room was very clean and we got new towels every day. Although the room was small it was adequate and if you want a bigger room try the main hotel. We liked the small breakfast for euros 3,75 which includes a hard boiled egg, bread roll, separate croissant, ham and cheese plus butter, jam and choice of coffee or tea. The 24/7 takeaway counter offers good pizzas plus sandwiches all the way to steak dinners at 21 euros. They sell bottled beer plus there is a bar open until quite late. There are tables and benches in the garden outside the hotel you can use. But in the Delphiplein around the corner there are two grocery stores the LIDL and a more expensive one. There is a Turkish fast food place which has a platter for one at 12 euros but they are happy to serve two sharing it and it comes with two chicken shishkabobs, two lamb chops, two pieces of steak, lots of salad and French fries and if you can find a cheaper meal for two in Amsterdam show me. You can walk to the Tram 2 which takes you directly to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum or you can use the metro 50 at Heemstedestraat connecting to Leylaan then to either Schiphol or Central Station. Unless you have a car it pays to buy a rail pass at Schiphol for 1-3 days or longer but be aware they don't include bus travel. Altogether we enjoyed this stay but maybe it was because we like the parent hotel and we already were familiar with the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I wasn't expecting much given that it was a 'budget' hotel. The room was small, the bed OK and a TV in the room. Fair enough. However the bathroom was revolting. It was poorly (as in not) ventilated and stank of damp. There was evidence of mould in the bathroom and the bedroom consequentially. The shower had a broken rail so we had to hold it and the shower tray did not drain properly and water was left standing. We also had no hot water for two mornings (out of four). I expected the basics to be much better and I'm genuinely surprised that they are allowed to have people stay in such conditions.

The staff were friendly and spoke immaculate English, however I felt it summed it up when they didn't even ask how our stay was. I wonder why?

Definitely not recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've never stayed in a bad hotel like this...nothing was good except the staff. available to correct the issue... but too many issues to stay there.
Unfortunately we stayed there during a FULL period for the city, before the Queen Party, so all hotel were completely full.
We stayed there just the first night and then we moved to the center.
It's very expensive to reach the hotel during the night (ONLY TAXI), and too many long during the day (more than 45 mins with bus/tram).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were charged 80 euros for a night (Saturday) which was absolutely overpriced. The room was dirty, very dusted in the headboard. The toilet is really old and needs refurbishing. It's quite far away from town, about 20 min by tram (and some extra euros!). Breakfast is served in the hotel next door, which was simple but good (3.75 euros). I wouldn't recommend Toko for its price, lack of cleaninless and location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

it was €100 for 3 days.
price = great
the hostel was a prefab and looked like something from the 1960s but if you can get over that it was very nice and VERY clean.
the rooms were a nice size.
but the fact that the hotel is right across is a deadly tease.
it was hard to get to but once you knew where it was it was great the tram 2 is right outside which leads you to everywhere you need to go.
the people who worked there were so nice. I absolutely loved them!

Room Tip: hostel world
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kastrup, Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place is situated in the western part of Amsterdams suburbs, wich are known for their high crime rate.
I had ordered a dormitory room, so I knew I should share the room with somebody else.
When I came to my room there were two guys in there: The man who had rented the other bed and his fat old friend, who were lying in my bed, with his shoes on smoking cigarettes.
The room was dirty and had an awful smell.
In the reception I asked to be moved to another room, since I did not feel safe leaving my stuff with my "roommate". This was not possible, and the receptionist could not help me with my problem, so I checked out right away.
I will never again consider staying at Budget Hostel Bargain Toko.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

i stayed here with my boyfriend last year, it was absolutely terrible! the shower was literally a hose poking out the wall, the toilet leaked faeces over the floor every time it was flushed! the room was very small too, it was only 10euros a night, but ive paid that elsewhere and got far more nicer surroundings! also it was very far out of town, in which i can only describe as the 'ghetto', the metro took about 35minutes or so to get back into town centre.
so even if you are backpacking (which we were) defo do not stay here, just because of the price, believe me, its worth paying like 5-10 euros more a night to get better quality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to West Side Inn Hostel Bargain Toko? Share your experiences!