The Style and Elegance of the 17th Century

Saved Save
You added The Style and Elegance of the 17th Century to your Saves list.
canalview
Lit entree SL283
kitchen.JPG
toward dining from window crp
Amsterdam

Anonymous...
Toronto
“Wonderful Apartment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 for a stay in May 2013

I stayed here for two weeks in May and had to relocate to another apartment because I booked it too late and somebody else had reserved ahead of me. Nevertheless, I am glad I had the chance to stay at this wonderful apartment. Dealing with Kathryn is a treat - as she is very professional and very affable. She was there to meet me when I arrived (she also knows of a very professional driver than can pick you up at the airport) and gave me the tour of the apartment and instructions. She even prepared a handbook of restaurants, cafes and other services nearby. The location is excellent and has an amazing view of the Singel canal. The only warning will be that the apartment is located on the third level thru a steep and narrow staircase. Up the stairs though, one will be rewarded by a good-sized quiet apartment that is well furnished and very comfortable, with a working fireplace. This apartment is highly recommended and I would definitely return!

4 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Roxana Spicer: International Filmaker
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 for a stay in January 2012
travellin...
Saskatoon, Canada
“Delightful apartment on the Singel Canal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 for a stay in October 2011
person found this review helpful

We stayed at this apartment in the centre of Amsterdam in October 2011. We were greeted by Kathryn’s assistant who gave us a guided tour of the apartment on arrival. It is a lovely sunny apartment on the third floor overlooking the Singel canal. Be prepared to lug your luggage up a very steep and winding narrow staircase as there is no elevator. The apartment is tastefully decorated with comfortable furniture and lovely art work. The living/dining area is a good size with a tiny but efficient kitchen. We appreciated the nice dishes and basic provisions supplied (dish soap, coffee, tea, salt, sugar). There is a washer and dryer. The bedroom window opens onto an inner courtyard which was nice and quiet. We had good wireless internet access. There is a phone if you want to pay to have it hooked up. There was a radio and an iPod dock for you to use with your own iPod. The TV had multiple channels some of which were English. We had a problem with the thermostat not working and cold water in the bathroom, but Kathryn sent round someone to fix them right away.
We loved walking out along the canals. We needed our raincoats and umbrellas. The apartment is two blocks from the Dam square with great shopping and the trams. You can purchase a daily, several day or weekly pass to use on transit. There are many restaurants nearby. The grocery store is a block away (cash only). We found out that in Amsterdam it was not possible to use our credit card as much as we are used to in North America. Rather cash payment is generally expected to avoid credit card fees. Many tourist attractions are within walking distance. Bike rentals are nearby, if you have the courage to join the thousands of locals commuting on their bikes. Bike helmets are no-where to be seen, so thankfully we had taken our own. It was a 30 minute tram ride to RAI Conference Centre.
Booking was easy through TripAdvisor using Paypal for the deposit. Kathryn who operates the property emailed back and forth and was very helpful. We were expected to pay the rest of the week’s rent on arrival in cash, but chose instead to pay with VISA (which required an extra payment of about 5% to cover the VISA fees).
I would certainly recommend this apartment and Pied a Terre vacation rentals for someone needing a place to stay while exploring this incredible city.

5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The afternoon sun spilling into the bright apartment with an incredible view
Liked least: The cold water in the bathroom...fixed within a day
Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Check in
Listed since : Jul 2009
Response Rate: 95 %
Response Time: Within a day
Calendar Updated: 235 days ago
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing