“Small, but great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Het Melkmeisje

Het Melkmeisje
Zeedijk 19, 1012AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)
+31206250640
Improve this listing
Ranked #495 of 2,445 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Red Light District
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Small, but great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a flight attendant on my flight to Amsterdam. We walked past it a couple of times (it was too early), but finally got in one night. It was worth the wait. The restaurant is small and their menu is somewhat limited. I had the special (Guinea hen) and my husband had the ostrich. Both were incredible. We were too full for dessert...would have liked to have tried something tho. Next time! It is small and was "smaller" because there was a big group that came in just after we did, but it was fun being "part" of their group. The kitchen is somewhat visible from the dining room and I can't imagine how the chef turns out such wonderful dishes in that small space! It is in a fringe area and there is a LOT of foot traffic outside, but it is really a sweet little place. We'll go back to this one.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Flew 4000+ Miles For Dinner...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is now my forth time at this restaurant and I can't pass through Europe without now stopping in Amsterdam and having dinner. I find myself making up reasons to go and justifying it to my boss so that Amsterdam is part of my travel iteniery just so that I can stop and have dinner.

As in past reviews, I can't get enough of this restaurant. It's located in Amsterdam a brisk walk from the Central Station and very close to the red light district. The area is very "alternative" and it's totally surrounded by gay bars, but don't let that detour you in anyway.

This is a SMALL place. Less than ten tables, a single waiter and a single chef. So, if you're on a schedule or not interested in a two hour dinner experience, then look elsewhere.

The wine list is extensive, all reasonably priced, opened table side and served with proper glassware.

I always get the same thing, so I'm not a great review from that’s point of view. The fresh country pate as an appetizer and the grilled ostrich as an entre. Usually a nice french Boudreaux with dinner and then one of their many vintage ports with a cheese plate for desert.

With appetizers, drinks, desert and coffee it works out to about 50 Euro per person. To me a GREAT DEAL for the quality of food, atmosphere and overall experience.

Again, this is one of my ten favorite places on the planet, so I strongly recommend it to anyone.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong, China
“Don't trust the previous reviews…”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant does not worth a visit - very slow service (which I was fine as I could not tolerate then I smiled to get the menu and ask for water and get the table previous leftover cleaned after long long wait), mediocre food (especially the so-called commended ostrich steak turned out to be very tough even when bloody medium cooked). Trust me, don't go to such a gem or you feel jammed.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“My FAVORITE place in Amsterdam..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I just may not be able to express how fond I am of this Het Melkmeisje... Let me put it this way.. I make up excuses to do work in Amsterdam, just to go to dinner...

I first found this location about a year ago while walking the streets of Amsterdam with some co-workers. It boarders the Red-Light district and is surrounded by a few well know gay bars.

When we first walked by, it was closed. But something told me I had to eat there. A couple hours later we went back and it was open. I ate there THREE MORE TIMES that trip alone.

Now a year later, I was back in Amsterdam and insisted on going there despite some of my Dutch co-workers having reservations about it.

It's a hole in the wall, perhaps seating 24-30 people. But it is by far one of my top ten in the WORLD.

Try the Pate' appetizer, let the owner pick the wine for you as he does a sensational job of paring.. Then move onto the grilled Ostrich.. SIMPLY AMAZING!!

I'm already working on my 2013 travel plans and Het Melkmeisje is on the list!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Much better than it looks from outside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We gave this a try after seeing the reviews and were not disappointed. It looks a little run down from outside and is in a busy street. We were seated outside and entertained by both the gay bar and the dutch singalong bar opposite. You could also sit at the side of the restaurant overlooking the canal, which is quieter.

The food was very good - smoked fish starter and pork steak, and garlic mushrooms followed by steak. Both courses plentiful and the mains came with salad and vegetables. We still managed to find room for dessert though - white chocolate mousse :-)

All very reasonably priced including the wine. Service was friendly and well timed.

Highly recommended.