“The Worst Hotel I've EVER Stayed In” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Acostar Hotel

Save Saved
You added Acostar Hotel to your Saves list
Acostar Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 45-49, 1017 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #200 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The Worst Hotel I've EVER Stayed In”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am unsure where to start. This was easily my most disappointing hotel experience in the last 10 years. On arrival we were greeted by a disinterested member of staff who checked us in to room 103 in the basement. This room had no windows and the only natural light was from a small hatch door that opened up to some bleek stairs covered in dirty and cigarette butts. I asked to be moved and was told that is my my fault for checking in too late - it was 7pm - and there was no way I could change rooms tomorrow either. On further inspection, there was rubbish left in the shower from the previous customers. Everytime a toilet was flushed in the hotel, the gushing noise disturbed us as the drains rain right past this room.
In the morning there was no hot water and when I complained I was told that I needed run the water for ten minutes before I could shower. I asked again to move rooms and was told that this would be possible. We were moved to the first floor and the room was better only because it had natural light source. The bedding and towels were clean but the rest of the room was disgusting. The wifi did not work and when I asked about this the staff member said he would check it. Haha I am sure this hotel never has fully working wifi. In the end he connected us to the staff wifi which worked perfectly!! So definately ask them to do this as surely paying customers should have wifi that works if the staff do.
Finally, I feel that the owner lacks pride and integrity as the website is a false representation of what the hotel actually looks like and offers. Words like 'luxury' should be removed from the website as this is far from the truth. The staff are ill-mannered and at times hostile which made making even the smallest request difficult as you don't know what type of response you will get.
Avoid this hotel!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, avoid room 103 and ask to see the room before you pay. They make you...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

where do i start .....room was tiny like a box , carpet was dirty an had so much dirt and dust round the sides , moved the beds away from the wall and it was just filfthy. walls needs a good paint , curtains needed washing as you shock them and dust fell down...dust all over the small table and telephone , in fact i cant remember a space that was dust free!!
the shower rooms was bigger than the room!! was alot cleaner than the bedroom itself but overall the hotel looks nothing ke its pictures on its website and a totally dissapointment for our first time in amsterdam, even the girl at reception is so rude and has no people skills or manners.

would never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: always ask to see your room before you pay.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed two nights over a weekend period. very good location in the heart of Amsterdam.
Upon arrival not very clean reception.
Rooms unclean- dust everywhere- floor not clean
Bathroom smelt damp
Toilet roll from previous owner not changed to a full roll
Had to ask member of male staff 3 times for wi-fi code and very rudely gave me answer
Another very rude member of staff in the female one.. No knowledge on customer Service at all! Asked rudely for us to move away from outdoor seating area! Both members of staff made us feel very unwelcome.
overall very good location.. get what u pay for but dirty rooms and the staff really let the place down.

Room Tip: make sure chosen room is facing away from strret other wise will be too noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I will start with the good point, the location is great with easy access to many places. There is a tram stop within 2mins walk. Now on to the bad ones, the service was very bad, The girl behind the desk was very rude. We got blamed and charged for a door fault that was just down to their system breaking. They fixed it by putting a screw in the frame and gave me a normal key....result 30 euros????

The rooms are tiny with no aircon, the windows do not open and the black out curtains just add to the heat. All in all over priced, but this could be down to the pride festival taking place, which was something we were not aware of.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent 4 nights in this hotel. the location is very good however the service was bad. The hotel is pretty dirty, except one employee the employees were not friendly. Although they say they have Wi Fi it was not working 4 days long.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Only spent a single weekday night here, and that was more than enough for me. I had a tiny pokey little room on the 4th floor above the street. It was noisy at night and I had a very disrupted sleep, the room was too stuffy and hot to close the window, and also the lack of A/C. The bedding and towels were fresh and clean, but the rest of the room was in need of a good clean, thick dust on every surface above eye level. The shower didn't have hot water, just ran cold, but the hand basin had hot running water. The lady staff member at the desk was about as much use as a chocolate teapot, check in and out was crazy slow. The price was way too much for what you get, even at Amsterdam prices. Breakfast was total crap, best saving that €7.50 for a waffle and coffee in town. In fact save all your money and just don't book here, there is far better places around the area. I spent the rest of my week stay at another nearby hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Aljezur, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Booked this through another site, turned up, breakfast no longer included, no longer a bargain. Not sure who was at fault. Very Dutch place - staff with a great sense of humour and all appeared to be off a film set. And actually completely unhelpful. Owner, who did not fit my description of the other staff, having a very unpleasant bullying altercation with a temporary staff member as a I left. Room (which was a late booking) roasting in an attic. WiFi broke down in the night, staff trying to bodge. "Coffee shop" next door. All a bit "real" in fact. I rather liked it, one flt very alive and part of the cit there - oh yead, and very, very central. Bar opposite excellent. But I'd not take my family nor rely on the staff further than I could spit a rat.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Acostar Hotel? Share your experiences!