“Like Sleeping in a Coffin!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Acostar Hotel

You added Acostar Hotel to your Saves list
Acostar Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 45-49, 1017 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #206 of 307 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Like Sleeping in a Coffin!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I chose Acostar as it was listed on my company's booking service and several doors down from the hotel I planned to spend a long weekend in (the excellent Golden Bear), in Amsterdam. Additionally I think its good to stay in smaller hotels to support small businesses but in this case I regretted not going for the safe option of the Marriot nearby. The hotel is a relatively modern building in the 17th century street with decent sized stairs and looks good from the front. Looks are very definitely deceiving in this case. When booking in I asked about wireless and breakfast. I was encouraged to come down early for the delicious breakfast and told wireless was available. The latter didn't work in my room and when I did come down for breakfast I was shocked at how poor it was. Does Amsterdam Tourist Board do any checking on hotels? It was low quality own-brand second rate juice and plastic meat and micro-croissants (and cheese was another option, but it looked like easy-singles). Coffee was poor quality and in tiny cups - probably just as well. I was the only person there except for staff who whistled through quickly to check what room I was in and scarpered quickly when I asked if there was anything else for breakfast. Fortunately I was able to grab a snack in Centraal Station. The room had a small double bed which had no space on the far side and a maximum of a foot on the other. Fortunately I am not claustrophobic - although my colleagues in work were shocked when I showed them a photo of the room. The window was 1.5 foot X 3 and not direct into the room. Even when I was checking out at 11am on my last day I needed to have the light on to see what was going on. The overhead light was maximum 30W and cast a dim dreary glow which was useless. I cheered up when I saw the bathroom until I realised it had no bath. Instead it had an impressive double shower head hanging from each wall. Unfortunately when I tried them that evening and afterwards the water barely reached lukewarm. Horrible. When I went to ask at reception about the wireless and the water the staff suddenly could not speak English. The Marriot and all its corporate lack of soul seemed to taunt me in the distance. The final coup de grace was my keycard breaking in the door. After waiting 10 minutes the staff sent up some sort of manager/owners son. I apologised for annoying him and asked if keycards were not more trouble than they were worth, really just to make conversation, and he explained that no - guests just steal the keys. So that sums up the kip - guests in the views of their own management are apt to criminal behaviour and not to be trusted. This place should be avoided - if you haven't booked anywhere in Amsterdam I would suggest sleeping in the train station where at least you would get to eat something decent.

Room Tip: In order to get a good room at Acostar you need to use another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

If you don't care where you crash and want to be next to a coffee shop and a club that stays open all night, this is the place for you! It's a great location and friendly staff, I'll give them that, but the rooms are so small you can barely get the bed into it. Definitely not for a family or if you want to sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure your room doesn't face the street.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We've recently stayed in the acostar. The staff seemed to be friendly enough. The room size was allright, not the biggest but we did not have the highest expectations.
Locationwise one of the bests! Everything is just a minute away.
Stairs can be exhausting after a long day of having fun :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Malaga, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I wasn´t expecting much from a low-cost hotel but the rooms really were tiny and the carpets were all stained (I dread to think what with!). No lift and we had a room on the 4th floor. The stairwell smellt stale and smoky despite the fact that smoking is forbidden in the hotel.
Definitely don´t go there with children as it´s next to a sex shop and opposite a kinky gay club.
The only good thing about it was the fact that you can easily walk there to most places.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Elliniko, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

It is close to shops, supermarkets, restaurants and pubs! it's a walking destination the city centre and the museum square if you are used to walking!
our room was not too big, but for two it was ok! the bathroom was perfect! they changed the towels everyday and they gave us soap and showergel as much as we wanted everyday! Friday night was a bit loud the streets around, but i guess that's happening all over the city!!
will be back for sure

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Nice hotel,staff nice and helpful,hotel in a good location,plenty of restaurants around,room a bit small but that wasn't a problem as I used it only for sleeping,nice powerful shower,tv with good few channels. Very comfy bed

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vaals, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The location is perfect but the room was tiny. The room our friends stayed in was even tinier! They couln't even walk around the bed. We stayed for one night only, so we didn't have any luggage. But there's no place for a suitcase! Wen we arrived it was very hot in the room. We opened a window but you could't leave it open at night because of the noise. The modern bathroom was ok but the smell wasn't... Breakfast was good though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Acostar Hotel? Share your experiences!