“Good location but small and basic rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Acostar Hotel

Save Saved
You added Acostar Hotel to your Saves list
Acostar Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Kerkstraat 45-49, Amsterdam 1017, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #184 of 297 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Good location but small and basic rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The location is very good as there are many bars and cafes nearby as well as the main tram line to the station and Dam Square.

The hotel itself is clean and checking in/out was very efficient. The rooms were much smaller than expected and the walls are thin so it can be hard to get a good nights sleep. There aren't any hot drink making facilities in the room, which is a negative. The stairs are very steep and there isn't a lift so beware if you have had a few at the end of the night ;>)

The hotel was okay but I prefer previous hotels that were at a similar price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Despite the oh-so reviews, decided to stay at Acostar Hotel since I found out it was very close to Leidseplein. Check in was fine and I got a room on the first floor, adjacent to the reception room. Was quite large for one person and could have easily been fine for two and even for a child if a cot was to be placed there. Had a window overlooking an alcove. Clean sheets, good water pressure, basic breakfast. A three minute leisurely walk to Leidseplein, many shops, drugstores around the corner. Tram No. 2 stops a few steps away. No complaints and would stay there again. No problems with the reception staff as some of the other reviewers seem to have had.

Room Tip: Get the room by the reception if you have luggage that you don't want to carry a few sets of sta...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hobart
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at Acostar on the advice of people posting on trip advisor. We arrived at the hotel at approximately 8pm, checked in and paid for 3 nights of tourist tax, which somehow came to 19.95 euros, when we were told it is 8 euros per day.
The next morning, on our way out, we were asked by reception to pay the tax that we had already paid. The woman was very patronising and condescending towards us. We produced our receipt but it didn't show that we had paid the tax!
Also our room had no soap, shampoo or facewashers and the toilet roll was half used.
The mini bar was missing stock , which we are afraid we will be made to pay for when we check out.

• Stayed May 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We were a little bit concerned about staying here after we seen some bad reviews but i don't see any of the problems that people commented on, we stayed on the 3rd floor, our room was spacious and had a fantastic bathroom, towels were changed daily and the bed was made, i don't know why people complain about bed sheets not being changed daily...well you would change them everyday at home would you?! We stayed for breakfast only on one morning, good selection can't really complain it filled me up ready for a day of sight seeing!! This hotel it's literally in the heart of Amsterdam and really close to all major attractions never to far to walk. Overall we had a fantastic stay the staff were extremely friendly and we would definatly stay here again if we were ever to stay in Amsterdam again!! 5*, be aware that there is no lift and the stairs are quite steep!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

A few friends and myself were in Amsterdam for the weekend, we checked in fine at the hotel. However, when ever any of our party returned to the hotel they were stopped and told to pay more money by the ever changing reception staff. Key cards never worked. On the first night myself and my friend were fast asleep in our room and were woken up with a massive fright as another of our friends showed up in the room. It turned out he had been given a key for our room and not her room. So we were a room down and she had to sleep with us 3 in a bed! In the morning the reception tried to charge us for a triple bedroom as she had to sleep in the room??? They asked for proof that she'd paid for her own room which she didn't have as she paid cash and wasn't given a receipt even though we'd asked them to make a note of all of our names and which rooms we were in. It was an absolute joke! When we tried to explain out point to the staff my friend was told to 'F off!'
Would NOT recommend ever!

• Stayed April 2013
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

It was my first visit to Amsterdam, so it's hard to compare this to other places. I payed about 110Euro. The room looked nothing like that on the website. It was miniature. Impossible to even put my luggage in it. Fortunately it was just me, so I shared my bed with one of my luggage pieces. My room was right beside the stairwell, so I heard the door slamming constantly. The voices from the hallway were extremely loud. The bed was fine and the linens were fine.

The customer service at the front desk was very good and they were very friendly.

I would probably try somewhere else unless you can confirm one of the nice rooms that the market in their photos.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not the basic room and make sure it is away from the stairwell.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend in the Acostar hotel, which was a very nice experience. The purpose of our stay was visiting our family, but as the hotel's location is right in the center we had the possibility to enjoy the beauties of the city as well. I was 6 months pregnant and they were very nice, because they gave us a room on the ground floor, which was very comfortable that I din't have to walk the stairs. The room was spacious enough, clean, nice bathroom, with free bathroom amenities (shampoo, body lotion). The breakfast was very nice in the morning, you can order fried eggs or omelettes included in the breakfast price. The location is very touristical, right by Leidseplein, the heart of the city. All the main tourist attractions are a short walk from the hotel. Would stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Acostar Hotel? Share your experiences!