“Truly Authentic Italian” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Breda
“Truly Authentic Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Dining at this tiny café is a pleasing experience. While the name in Dutch translates to "crowbar", the cuisine is truly delightful 100% Italian and nothing else. The service is very also "italy-like" friendly (and more so than most other Amsterdam restaurants) and you feel like you're dining in a home. The size is perfect - it was thrivingly full when we visited, yet not too noisy for good conversation.

Now the food... Incredibly fresh, flavourful and - for an Italian connoisseur like me - superb! Great pasta (like ravioli with fungi porcini), creative and fresh antipasti, and good main dishes. The fish is also wonderful. The truffle chocolate dessert was above heavenly!

A good way to judge a restaurant is to observe the level of satisfaction of the people around you. If that is really a sign, the management and staff indeed know how to please. Positive in every sense, and perfect for special occasions.

On this quiet side street, Koevoet stands out as one of Amsterdam's best. Reserve in advance because it's popular, intimate and small. Highly recommended!

• Visited October 2013

“A Magical Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

There is only one reason to head to Amsterdam......that is to visit this amazing restaurant. Home cooked fresh Italian cuisine that doesn't disappoint!!!
In my current Tiramisu ratings - this restaurant rates #2!!

Manasquan, New Jersey
“Small, intimate and good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I had a pasta with clams and it was cooked in parchment paper and was very delicious. The place is small and very old and quaint. We did not have a reservation and fortunate to get in.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
EDINBURGH
“SUPERB AUTHENTIC ITALIAN FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We tried to eat in the restaurant on Saturday 7th September as we were in the area but alas there was no room at the inn!

Having liked the feeling of the place when I popped in to enquire, savoured the aromas coming from the kitchen and the classical music playing gently in the background I decided to book for the following evening Sunday the 8th September. I actually came across this place after having read some reviews about it in the Telegraph, well I have to say I was gald we did.

Its not a big restaurant, but warm and homely, and the staff are super. We were served by a very attentive young Italian man who could not have been more helpful - he really was helpful as the menu was in Italian! - and we needed this explained to us.

There were also specials on the blackboard, which I am glad to report we tried. There was a maincourse of 4 different types of ravioli on the board and the waiter suggested we have this as a starter - well, it arrived, 4 different raviolis on each plate and I have to say they were super, each little plumb parcel bursting with flavour.

I then chose the veal with marsala sauce, this was the best veal I have ever eaten and I kid you not. It was perfectly cooked, with just the right amount of sharpness to the sauce - mmmmmm, I really did like this.

My friend chose the branzino alla ligure, this fish was again perfectly cooked and flavoursome.

To end my friend had his old favourite, tiramisu. Now he has a friend who makes this and he always compares this to his friends, I waited patiently for the result and was astounded to hear him say this was better than his friends - that was the first time ever I have heard him say that and believe me he has tried a lot of tiramisu`s over the years.

We then opted to have one of the house specialities - "Sgroppino" or lemon sorbet with prosecco and vodka. The lemon sorbet arrived at the table, as did the other ingredients and it was whisked up in front of us and expertly dispensed into two glasses - again this was super and very refreshing - if somewhat alcoholic!

To end, 2 perfect coffee`s - smoething that is not always that easy to get after a good meal.

The bill was 139euro, which included a very nice botle of Müller-Thurgau wine (56euro)

I thought this was the best Italian meal I have ever eaten, and I can be fussy!

All in all a super evening, very attentive staff, but I never felt I was being rushed. I liked the time between courses, and let`s be honest here, this food was being cooked to order - not sitting there ready made or waiting to be heated up - it was fresh, flavoursome and in my opinion 1st class.

So well done Koevoet Restaurant, we will be back for sure next time we leave Edinburgh Scotland and return to Amsterdam.

buckinghamshire
“Service didn't match the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Got this one from Tripadvisor, booked well ahead of our visit, they called us to confirm that we would have a nice quiet romantic table. Arrived at the arranged time, got the last table that had to be the worst in the house, asked the waitress to be moved, she was very offish. She was under huge pressure as only her and another waiter and full to bursting restaurant. Couple of diners were finishing dinner and eventually she moved us to a nicer table. Menu was good with some specials. Food, when it eventually arrived, was excellent, freshly cooked and hot and very Italian, you could certainly tell whoever was in the kitchen knew their stuff. The wine list was very expensive, cheapest started about 35 Euros. Didn't feel we could have a pudding as restaurant empty by the time we had let the main digest a bit. Paid the bill and they were already laying up for the next day and all rather disinterested. So, all up summary, go for the food, not the charm or professionalism of the staff. You really need to book, ask for a table by the window, back room.

• Visited August 2013