“Excellent Location, Staff, Rooms, Price” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 77, 1017PM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #35 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent Location, Staff, Rooms, Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I made a 24 hour solo side trip to Amsterdam on the way to Dubai from a business trip to Lithuania in January. The decision to go was random so I relied on Tripadvisor reviews on which hotel to take. I was only spending 24 hours in Amsterdam so I needed an affordable hotel in a central location so I don't waste time traveling, and at the same safe for a solo female traveler. And boy, I was beyond happy with the decision.

Location - easy to find, located on the same block as some good restaurants, cafes and theaters. Less than 2 minute walk and you'll find a tourist information center. It's right next to a beautiful canal that you can view from some of the rooms. 3 minute walk to tram station and Leidseplein (for some nightlife and a variety of restaurants from fine dining to fast food)

Rooms - most rooms are overlooking the canal. Their cheaper rooms are tiny, just enough for a double bed, a cabinet, and some room to walk around and place your luggage, but this is expected of hotel rooms in Europe. I got a chance to peek at the bigger rooms and they were surprisingly spacious. My tiny room (around 130Eur) was clean and the bed very comfortable. The windows were adorned with 2 layers of curtains - a sheer one and a thick one to block out the sun. Flat screen TV on the wall showed only 2 english channels but I didn't really care since I was out the whole day anyway.

Bathroom - small but clean and adequate. Adequate supply of towels and toiletries. Shower was big enough to move freely, not cramped. Hair dryer available.

Service - it's the best thing about this hotel. Check in time was I think 1pm but I was there before 11am, so I asked if I could just leave my bags and walk around the area first to kill time. Nathalie, who greeted me like a long lost sister, told me not to worry, my room is ready! She even wanted to upgrade me to a much bigger and way more expensive room (after she saw my huge luggage), however that room was 2 floors higher than my cheaper room so I had to decline the wonderful gift explaining that I'm a couch potato who never exercises and hates stairs (esp after a tiring day of exploring the place). After hearing that Nathalie took my luggage and carried it to my room! She and other Staff helped me with suggestions on where to go, how to get there, which trams to take, approximate price of tours, etc. They booked my taxi for me, and Nathalie served the taxi driver coffee while I was busy getting my stuff ready. She even went up to carry my luggage again!

Breakfast - located in the dining/reception area. The place was cozy and the breakfast was good and fresh. There wasn't much variety but there's enough choices, food was delicious, and the housekeeper cooked nonstop at the end of the room (which gave the place a very homey feel) and kept offering additional food that she's cooking.

The only negative thing about the hotel is the very steep stairs, which is forgivable.

Also just be warned that there are resident cats in the hotel who freely walk around the place. They're adorable and well behaved, but is noteworthy in case you're allergic to cats.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the canal. If you don't want to carry your luggage through steep flights of...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Thanks to all the wonderful reviews on trip adviser we had a chance to stay at this wonderful hotel. While the weather in Amsterdam wasn't the best, we had received the warmest welcome by the hotel staff. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. The service was well above anyone can expect, even in a five star hotel. They had really gone far to make our Valentine's special. The location of the hotel was incredible, 5 minutes from where the bus stops from the airport, 5 minutes to the all the shops, bars, restaurants. The stairs are as steep as in any typical Amsterdam hotel, however as long as you don't have a problem with a bit of exercise, it is the perfect place to stay!

Room Tip: The rooms that have canal view are amazing.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

This is a great hotel in a fantastic location, with delicious, homemade breakfast prepared by a friendly and accommodating staff. It's literally around the corner from all the theaters, music halls, and nightlife of the Leidseplein, and only a 10 minute walk to the Museumplein, or really anywhere else you want to go in central Amsterdam. The only possible negative I can think of is that the stairway is pretty steep, but that's what you get in canal houses. After breakfast the first morning of our trip I knew that I had made the right hotel choice.

Room Tip: The small rooms are pretty small, but a good bargain if you don't need the space.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We had booked this hotel after reading the excellant reviews on Trip advisor - we were not disappointed. We flew into Amsterdam on the early flight forgetting that check in was not until 2pm, however this was not a problem for the lovely hotel staff at the Boutique hotel. Having found the hotel we were tired and very cold (as the weather was below zero) Nathalie friendly as ever welcomed us with a hot chocolate on the house and explained that we couldn't get into our room just yet as they were being cleaned but immediately upgraded our room (from a small double) to a room overlooking the canal and arranged for it to be next on the list to be cleaned- All free of charge!
We happily waited in the dining area which was a lovely comfy, cosy room overlooking Amsterdam, drinking our yummy hot chocolates and petting the hotel dog!
The hotel itself was clean, stylish and spacious. The rooms were decorated beautifully and had everything you needed - shampoo, shower gel and a tv with many channels. We had a small room but this was ample space for us (a couple) and instantly felt like home.
Every morning we would awake to the smell of fresh baking in the kitchen - Things dont get much better than this! After hearing the rave reviews on the hotel pancakes and omlettes we had already decided to have breakfast here each morning and for 10 euros it was fantastic value. On offer there were self service cheese, meats, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, fresh croissants and breads and the offer of something freshly cooked. Nathalie was on the day shift so was not there to make our pancakes but her brother (again a lovely friendly guy) was- and let me tell you these pancakes were DELICIOUS! In fact the breakfasts were SO good they alone were enough to secure us a return visit hopefully in June.
I have never been to a hotel so intent on making you feel welcome and I am not talking about overly selling places, trips etc or being bombarded with suggestions or opinions- you are treated just as one of the family, if you want to sit and chill- this is fine.. if you want to have a beer and chat..this is fine, in fact we never at any time felt at all awkward- it was like visiting friends we had not met before. Even the hotel dog and 2 kittens were so lovely adding that home from home feel to the place - I have never met such well behaved pets either I might add.
We are already planning to come back later in the year to 'show off' this little gem of a hotel to all of our friends (and we only arrived back in Manchester today)
The central location of this hotel was perfect and we walked everywhere easily - so many lovely places to eat or just have a beer and watch the world go by.
Again Thank you for a lovely stay at the Boutique view, and readers get booking as this hotel soon will be an Amsterdam hotspot!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely - but ask for a canal view as its so lovely to wake up to in the morning.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We had a fantastic welcome at the Boutique Hotel View, the rooms were big and very clean. The breakfast was lovely (I recommend the pancakes) and a great start to the day. The location is good for bars restuarants and Anne Frank's house.
Thank you for a lovely stay! I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have just returned from a long weekend in Amsterdam with four friends. We had two rooms, one triple (twin beds and sofabed) and one twin. The rooms are very spacious, high ceilings and large windows so very light and airy. Ours had a lovely view over the snowy canal. Good sized en suite with bath/shower and nice toiletries provided. My only thought was there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, however there is a machine in the bar from which you can take a drink to your room. My friend asked for hot water and was then offered a kettle for the room. The staff are simply fantastic, cannot help you enough giving us advice on best places to go, which trams or buses to use and sorting out taxis for us. Although the hotel is not right in the centre, we found we could get to all the sights we wanted to see within a twenty five minute walk (in the snow) and there is the excellent public transport system with stops a couple of minutes from the front door. A fantastic weekend had by all and will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012
Alsager, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

For the last 11 years I've been travelling to Amsterdam for a major trade show and a few days extra holiday. Each year I've stayed in a different hotel hoping to find one that I can keep returning to. This year I think I've hit the jackpot! Perfect location just off Leidseplein with all its bars, restaurants, theatres and other nightlife. Walking distance to the museum district and easy access via tram to the city centre or out to the RAI.

The hotel itself is a classic canal-side townhouse and we had a loft room with views over the canal. The stairs were a bit of a trial (especially after a night out) but you'll get this in a lot of Amsterdam hotels that have been converted from houses. The rooms are all tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. We didn't have the breakfast on this visit but at €10 it compares favourably with eateries in the area.

A word of warning for anyone with cat or dog allergies, there are two resident cats and a small dog. I thought they added to the ambience but they might not be everyone's cup of tea.

If you find yourself here on a Wednesday night, you really should head down to the Alto Jazz Cafe to see Hans Dulfer's band. Awesome night out but get there early if you want a seat.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Boutique Hotel View? Share your experiences!