“Wonderful hotel, would stay again” 5 of 5 stars

Boutique Hotel View
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 77, 1017PM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #36 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful hotel, would stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I had a great experience at this hotel. Very clean, room size was ample and for how close it was to the main city center, price was excellent. Udo, Nathalie and staff were fantastic and I will definately stay ay this hotel for my future trips to Amsterdam. Dina, Toronto Canada

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We felt really welcome in this hotel! Nathalie and Udo did everything to make out stay as comfortably as possible. All is desingned and furnished with lots of love. And even as the stairs are really narrow - as in usual in typical Amsterdam houses - there is no need for a lift, because the hosts will help you with the luggage! The breakfast was better than in most big hotels, so we were well prefered for stressfull business days! The only thing is that you have a really small bathroom. But therefore the location is great! It is placed in a quiet, small street besides a small town canal and within a few minutes walk you can reach theaters, restaurants, bars and all the nighlife!
The hotel is not that cheap, but from my experience the hotels in Amsterdam are expensive and additional it was an exhibition time - so the price was quite ok.
We look forward to stay here again next time in Amsterdam!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in a Deluxe Double Room with a canal view while visiting Amsterdam, and were very happy with our stay.

The location is fantastic - even with our big bags it was very easy to get to from the airport, and only slightly more difficult to get to the train station on the way out. It's near lots of bars and shops and for most of the trip we just walked everywhere - it's close enough to all the touristy / interesting things to do so. Also I recommend Cafe George nearby for food or drinks - very nice :)

Our room was spacious and had a fantastic view over the canal. We even had a balcony that looked out onto the water which was awesome. The people at reception were very helpful for any queries we had, helped us get our bags in and out, and they offer 24 hour room service with a number of reasonably priced snacks that can just go straight onto your room bill.

The other (more positive) reviews of this hotel are accurate, including the downsides. There is not much in the way of amenities in the room (no tissues for example), but they do detail what they have on their website, and the free wi-fi is a godsend. And they are very reasonably priced for central Amsterdam so it is understandable.

Also take note of the lack of air conditioning - I was glad to know about this before we went, so we could factor it into our decision, but it was fine. Amsterdam is not usually a warm city, and so when our room did get too warm we just opened the window and let the fresh air in (which was lovely anyway). If you're worried about bugs like another TA reviewer, you can leave the light curtain across the window to stop them coming in.

Also the staircase is VERY narrow as other people mentioned, and there is no lift, but this is central Amsterdam and is the norm for little places like this! It is something to be aware of if you have a lot of luggage, but not really something to criticise the hotel for.

We slept really well while here - while being central it is a quiet street, and we were not woken by any noise during the night.

One last thing to note - our bed was actually two singles pushed together. Because we'd seen this in other reviews we knew what to expect, and it was fine!

We would definitely come and stay here again if we came back to Amsterdam. It is a clean, comfortable, and welcoming hotel, with a great location and is really good value for money.

Room Tip: Room 203 has a couch, balcony and is a good size with a nice view over the canals.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

An impromptu short trip to Amsterdam from London, so decided to try out this hotel.
The location is pretty good with proximity to the main tourist areas. Hotel was not difficult to locate.
My room was up on the 3rd level. No lift and the staircase is steep and narrow. Quite an adventure just bringing the luggage up the stairs. The hotel staff (Natalie) did offer to help porter the luggage...
Room was of good size, with a nice view. There is a hook outside the window that can be used to hoist furniture and bulky items up to the room - somewhat unique for buildings in Amsterdam. Room comes with TV, fan, ensuite toilet/shower. No air-conditioning.
I have to comment on the toilet. The flush is way too strong! You get water rushing out from the rim of the toilet bowl when you flush, at least I will like to believe its just water...
Free internet only at the basement, no WiFi available.
Resident pets are so charming - there is a small dog and a kitten.
I find the cost bordering on the pricey side, relative to what I get. But I suppose most other hotels in Amsterdam are expensive.
Overall, I will recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Not handicap or elderly friendly.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This is one of the best hotels that I have stayed in for the money. The service was above and beyond what is expected- nothing was too much trouble for the brother and sister team.
The location is excellent for business travelers and tourists, but is in a quiet street so that you do not get loads of noise to disturb you. It is next to several tram lines and is very easy to get to the RAI or DAM Square etc.
The hotel over looks the canal which is very nice. It is very easy to go running from the hotel around the canal circuit.
I stayed at the hotel on business with 3 other colleagues and all of us had a similar experience!
This is how hotels should be, but don't tell anyone else!!

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I found Boutique Hotel View by reading reviews here on TripAdvisor, and what they say is true. The atmosphere is very welcoming and charming. The hotel has relatively new management and they are obviously eager to please and make guests comfortable. I was pleased with my room, which felt more like walking into my living room at home than a hotel room.

My only dislike was that the bathroom was fairly unimpressive. Things were a little hectic at breakfast given that they're short-staffed but I think new management will work that out in due time.

Location truly was brilliant for exploring central Amsterdam away from red-light district.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at this "boutique" hotel for 2 nights - On checking-in Natalie was very nice, she gave me an "upgrade" to a small double room, the stairs are very steep and narrow so she carried my case to the top floor. The room smelled of stale smoke but I decided not to complain, strange colour of green decorated the room/bed throw and pillows, small "Juliet" balcony was the best feature of the room.

My room overlooked the canal on the corner, Cramped bathroom with shower and curtain so the water slopped everywhere.

No tea/coffee making facility but a hair-dryer was available in the bathroom, free standing fan in the room as no air con.

I made the mistake of leaving my window open (smell of smoke more than anything) and was bitten extensively by some sort of bug - hence the reason for the fan!

Free internet access available in the basement via 2 PCs, no printer.

Breakfast was from 8am so I did have it the first morning, normal continental but cooked breakfast was available if you wished.

The owners dog and 2 kittens had the run of the place, so if you dont like animals be aware! they were elsewhere during breakfast but on my last morning, I left before breakfast had started, food was out and the kitttens were running round up and over where the food was laid out, one stuck its head in the bowl of "fruit salad"!!!!!

A bit of a walk to the Train Station but close to the trams which could take you round Amsterdam. No cafe's/deli's close by, I think you could buy a coffee/soft drink./drink at the reception but I wasnt told this on check-in.

It was a nice enough stay, for the money I think I could have had somwhere nicer/more modern, common areas (stairs/landing) could do with a "tart-up" to be honest, Dont think I would rush back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
BoutiqueView, Owner at Boutique Hotel View, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear Mrs,

many thanks for your review, we always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to write an opinion about our beautiful Hotel.

Indeed you booked a room without Canal View and we upgraded you to a Canal View room Green Design with a balcony. The green color scheme cannot be your taste, but this is personal preference. On the first floor we have brown design, on the second floor a pink design and on the third floor a green design. You can always sent us an email when you have preference for a color scheme, and we will allocate you this room.

Our Hotel is smoke free, its absolutely not allowed to smoke!! Guests that will smoke in the room will get a smoking penalty of € 150,- On every door and at the reception there is a sticker to communicate we are a smoke free Hotel. If you communicated to the front desk that you wasn’t satisfied with the smell, we do the upmost to change your room. But as you already stated in your review you decided not to complain so we didn’t had the opportunity to do something about this dissatisfaction.

We have a free broadband WiFi high speed connection available and two computers. Instead what your review suggest, we have a printer available where 60% percent of our guest make use of to print there boarding passes and museum tickets. We are printing this with no extra charge. We have free coffee and tea making facilities on request. all stated above you can also find in our guestbook and will be told when you check in. When this wasn’t told to you when you checked in we need to tighten our check in procedures. This we will review in our next staff meeting.

About the two kittens, because of some sad circumstances they were in the Hotel only for a short time (3 weeks). We couldn’t put them on the street so we decided to find a boss for them. They now have a boss and the Hotel is “animal” free. During the breakfasts the cats always were locked up, because Hygiene and cleanliness is extremely important for us.

Our Hotel is located 2 minutes walk from the Leidsesquare, what’s a boiling square full of bars, café, restaurants, Starbucks etc. In our Lobby you can see a big fridge with a big sign where all the prices are written of our alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. We have 24 hours room service available.

I hope to welcome you as our guest in the future, if you have any more questions or remarks, you can always contact us either by mail or telephone.

Been to Boutique Hotel View? Share your experiences!