“Amsterdam for New Year's Eve....perfection! Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn old Amsterdam

You added Inn old Amsterdam to your Saves list
Inn old Amsterdam
Nieuwmarkt 5, 1011 JP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #76 of 312 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Amsterdam for New Year's Eve....perfection! Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

In November my husband and I decided that we wanted to go to Amsterdam at the last minute to celebrate my birthday and New Year's eve. I started combing through trip advisor and stumbled across Inn Old Amsterdam and decided to send Daniel an email about his availability. Lucky for us he did have one of his rooms available even though it was not listed on his site yet.

I admit I was a little bit worried since I had to wire a money transfer for the first half of the cost which meant I did not have the security of credit card insurance. But, I should not have been. From the moment we got there Daniel & Nikki were gracious, inviting and made us feel completely at ease and welcome.

The Inn actually consists of the rooms above the Cotton Club located in Nieumarkt right across from the beautiful 15th-century Waag. We absolutely fell in love with this area the first night. The next canal over is the red light district, and just beyond that is Dam square where you can shop to your heart's content. It is just down the street from Rembrandt house and everything you could possibly want is within walking distance. There is an outdoor market every day, a grocery store, a fromagerie, bakery all located directly across the square.

We walked everywhere but it would have been easy to rent some bikes and just peddle around the city. The canals are beautiful, especially in the evening around christmas since everything is so wonderfully lit.

Now if you are planning to go for New Year's eve you need to be aware that Amsterdam is going to be one huge, loud party. My husband and I LOVED it but it may not be for everyone. There are re going to be fireworks, and lots of them. You usually get a couple here and there the nights leading up to New Year's Eve and then the big blowout happens on the night itself. Nieumarkt becomes one of the central launching spots in Amsterdam. Also, anyone can buy and set fireworks off, so they are being set off everywhere. All up and down the streets and into the canals. It was beautiful and exhilarating.

Overall we had a fantastic time in Amsterdam mostly because we had such a great home base at the Inn. With our little kitchen that had a microwave and fridge, we were able to get groceries or bring home left overs which saved us some money on food. It was nice and relaxing to start our days with the amazing breakfast provided by Daniel at our little table planning out our route for the day. We loved it so much that we can't wait to experience the city in the warmer months as well. We will definitely be staying here when we return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

There is no words for how nice this weekend became. And a whole lot of cred to the hosts of Inn Old Amsterdam for a great stay in a cool studioapartment downtown Amsterdam. No traffic outside and a perfect local bar down stairs(no noise from it at night)!

The breakfast was served to the room when we wish to, and it was perfect!

Tahnk you so much this stay, and see you in may next year!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

I had a very good time in Amsterdam especially staying in Inn Old Amsterdam. Everything was perfect here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Milano, Italia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

Hi all,
I have been in INN OLD Amsterdam rom 18 o 22 Oct...
Unfortunatelly the owner Daniel was in Italy for the 5 days we were there, so there were his mother in low... and she was very helpfull with us, but not Daniel I suppose.
I am a hotel owner as well in Italy and I know there must be always someone for helping guests, without Daniel, we were alone the most of the day, and we had always to leave messages to the Madam.
We didn't used the safe deposit as she was not able to explain us how to do it, and the information she got from Daniel at the phone were wrong...
We missed Daniel attention and presence, bu the next time we hope to meet him, as he were so helpful with us in booking and giving us suggestions about evrything we needed before our arrival.
The experience was at most positive.
He suggested to park the car at the ARENA parking, abut 9km away!
The price was very low with a special packege we have had: 6 Euro per day and the free Metro tickets to go and return from NEUMARKT to the ARENA!
The price for a garage in Amsterdam is approx 30-40 Euro per day! Crazy!!! Daniel suggetion was perfect, and with the metro takes only 15 minutes and you arrive direct in front of the INN OLD!
Under the B&B there are many nice bar and facilities to eat.... 100 mt away from the beginning of the red light district, but very quiet, always police in the square makes evrything safe and quiet. Only in the morning there are some noises for the cleaning of the square and the bars under the B&B, but its not so bad!
5 minues walking from Dam square, evrything is reachable within 5-10-15 minutes walking, you don't need to rent bikes, you can visit the entire Amsterdam and the attraction on foot, bring with you an umbrella!!!!
Breakfast was marbellouse and very good :-)
We had the apartment on two floors, alo if Daniel said to usi was on one floor only.
It is perfect for 2 persone, or for 2 adults + child, but not for 4 adults as the sofa bed on the groundfloor is very small and uncorfortable for adults weight and body, but Ilenia and Lene have sleept for 4 nights, nothing to say, only 2 women in a small bed is not nice to spleep.... they woke up always with backpains!
We spleept upstairs in normal beds, good spleeping and nice viwe from the windows :-) very romantic place!!!
The bathroom is very large, only miss a shower courtain....
The kitchen is very small and there is no fire to cook, but it would be enough putting a microwave! We missed one...
The WIFi is not working in our apartment, the signal was not reachale there, so I had o sit on the corridor steps to take the free signal, but it was enough for me!
I have been very sutified of this nice plae and I hope to come back soon , perhaps with my boyfriend, as it was so romantic satying inside our apartment sitting upstairs in the living area wih candles and the nice view of the Waag!!!
Really a rear perl in the heart of Amsterdam
Grazie Daniel for the clean and ipical modern accomodation, we hope to meet you one day. Let me know how was my wine ;-P I gave the bottel to the Madam who helped us during the stay.
Kisses from Italy

Yvonne Ilenia Lene nd Ester....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

During my stay I felt completely taken care of.
I spent about a day (afternoon, night, and early morning) in the room called the Stadsgroen. I would've stayed longer had it been available for more time. The room is really impressive: it's got two floors (living area downstairs, bedroom and shower upstairs), a kitchen, and a garden view, which made the stay incredibly comfortable.
Daniel took care of everything: the room was clean, breakfast was great, and he was kind to let me leave behind my luggage while I ran some errands after checking out.
The question below asks if I would recommend this hotel to a friend. I'll check "yes" since I've recommended it many times and I'll continue to.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

The room was well decorated and had everything we needed for our stay. Daniel and Nikki were great hosts, very friendly, and provided great tips for getting around Amsterdam. The breakfast was really good and brought right to our room. Yogurt, fresh-baked bread, fresh fruit, and eggs. The location was good for us because we could walk to places easily and there was a farmer's market right outside on weekends. The only issue we had was the fact that there was a bar just below our window, so it was loud until very late at night, which made it difficult to sleep. (Note that there are two guest rooms, and we were in the front room. This may not be an issue for the other guest room in the B&B.) We shared a bathroom with the hosts, but that wasn't an issue at all. We never actually noticed them using it. Overall, we had a good experience with the exception of bar noise at night. This may not be as big of an issue if you are staying there on weekdays or if you are a night owl yourself.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dresden, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Just a few minutes walk from Amsterdam Centraal, the B&B is located on Nieuwmarkt - relatively easy to find if you have a tourist map of Amsterdam. The first thing one will notice is the typically steep staircase once you set foot into the house. But even with a heavy suitcase that's no problem as Daniel, the owner, helps in getting the luggage up and/or down. What I really liked was that he also helped us out with a proper map and made some recommendations what to see and what to do while in Amsterdam - a service most hotels only offer on request - here it was offered straight away.
The room (we stayed in "De Kamer") is stunning - very old (17th century) and cozy, but up to date with flatscreen tv, a very comfy bed and a small kitchenette plus a great view on to Nieuwmarkt. Breakfast was served in the room, so if one liked, breakfast in bed was an option to try out :) Altogether we had a fantastic time there - I can only recommend it. The only thing one should know is that Nieuwmarkt is a busy place where there might be some noise - but Daniel even had ear plugs prepared should the need arise! We'll definately come back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn old Amsterdam? Share your experiences!