“Something really different” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Something really different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This B&B is a real treat, the owner Louis is lovely, the breafast is fantastic and the location unbeatable! I would highly reccomend staying here. Louis was very helpful right from the booking, emailing us with details on how to find the hotel and asking if we had any requirements. We went for the room at the front of the of the building overlooking the canal and it was really beautiful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bottesford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

A great place to stay in Amsterdam instead of a hotel , the owner Louis was very nice and her house was beautiful .We stayed in the room at the back ,the stairs were a challenge so not for anybody who's not good on their feet .Our room was like a duplex apartment bedroom upstairs in the attic room (a bit snug) , living room below , again very nice furnishings .Louis looked after us well at breakfest and was a great hostess . Location was great , centeral but away from the busy streets . I would probaly stay in the canal view room if I were to visit again .

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on our first ever trip to Amsterdam. And it was a mere 5 minute walk from the station! Lois greeted us when we walked in front of her home, and said though it was too early to enter our room, she was able to let us leave our bags and said we could come back at 1pm. She gave us a map of central Amsterdam and a couple umbrellas in case it rained (it had rained the night before we arrived). So from there we had lunch and walked all around and came back just after 1pm and she had carried our heavy luggage up to our room for us! The room was very large, with a very large bathroom full of marble. Bathtub AND shower. This used to be the owners suite, so you can imagine it is as good as they could make it for themselves. The bed is super comfortable, as good as any 5 star hotel out there. The shower has one of those huge shower heads directly above you, and it just rains down on you. Didn't try the tub. The view from the canal room is so great, you can see tour boats and other private boats going by. And I saw a swan gliding up the canal the morning we left. Breakfast is delicious, she served a selection of fresh fruit, freshly baked breads including amazing croissants, two different kinds of cheeses, and she offered to cook us eggs, which we accepted, and bacon (though the bacon was just microwave bacon, but still good). The only downside of our stay was the wifi internet reception was pretty much impossible to catch from our room. I had to carry my laptop down to the breakfast room very early on our first morning there so I could write an email to friends and send some photos. But that isn't a big deal as we didn't come there to use the internet! Also there are glass doors between the bathroom and bedroom, with no handles to pull them closed, and the wind blew them open, so we put a shoe there to keep them closed when someone was using the bathroom.

The room has a window that can be opened, which was very nice for fresh air and breezes, and to get the ambience of life on the canal - they advertise air conditioning, but I think they only have that available during the warmer months and not in September. Lois and her husband (he works and said the B&B was his wife's business) were both very friendly, but I wished we could have stayed with them longer so I could talk with them more. The house is huge, they have a two level apartment for rent as well, which we didn't stay in.

We would stay again in a heartbeat! And I highly recommend the canal room to everyone looking for that classic canal view from your room. We slept very well there, it was super quiet at night.

Room Tip: Choose the canal room if you can get it - the view is superb and for 2 people it's huge.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a 10-day trip to Amsterdam and we stayed at the Herengracht 21 B&B for a total of 7 nights. We stayed three nights in the canal room and four nights in the 'back room' so we're in a good position to evaluate both options.

Apart from the fact that the Herengracht 21 looks cosy and typically Dutch, the main reason I chose it as a place for my wife and I to stay was because pre-departure, Loes, the owner's e-mail communication was excellent. Always friendly, always business-like, always prompt. Right from the start, I got the impression that Loes ran a tight ship. And so it proved to be.

Husband and wife team, Loes and Ton, are simply the perfect hosts. They are both passionate about their home and their city. They can help you plan your day trips and your walks around Amsterdam and they offer an extensive library of guide-books on both Amsterdam and Holland, which you are of course welcome to borrow.

The cooked breakfasts are excellent. (cheeses, bacon, eggs, fresh orange juice, rolls, croissants, etc) and Ton - being a keen sailor - even has a small boat moored in front of the house. Our trip around Amsterdams canals with Ton at the helm was something we'll never forget.

"Our home is your home" sums up Herengracht 21 perfectly.

So what about the two rooms on offer? The back room is a two-floor duplex with a living room on the first floor and a comfy bed, shower and toilet on the second. We liked this room better because it was like having your own self-contained flat in the heart of Amsterdam. The only thing it lacks is a view of the canal, which of course the canal room has. To open the curtains and gaze on to that lovely stretch of canal is a perfect start to the day. It's a very close call, but I think the back room just edges it.

You are also just a short walk to Centraal station and from there you can be in places like Delft, Alkmaar, Hoorn and Haarlem in 15-45 minutes thanks to the excellent Dutch rail network.

There are plenty of markets, restaurants, shops and bars within the vicinity as well.

Stay at the quirky, cosy Herengracht 21 and you are getting a feel for Amsterdam that I don't think you would get staying at some five-star hotel chain.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

A charming quirky private house, on a pretty canal, with two guest rooms. It is only ten minutes walk from the central station, yet in a quiet area. It is possible to walk to many of the major attractions if you don't mind longer walks.

The front and back guest rooms are entirely different to each other, but both are accessed by steep spiral staircases. I stayed in the back room which does not overlook the canal. The back room has two floors: a lower living room and an upper bedroom with toilet, shower, sink and a bed. The only problem with the upper bedroom is that the roof space makes it impossible to walk around the bed with stooping. It is also impossible to stand up in the toilet – making it difficult for a man to ‘wee’ standing up. There is tea making facilities (essential for Brits) but a Fridge would be a nice addition. The upper room is quite warm in the winter but the lower living room is much cooler. I did not find the bed or pillow very comfortable, but others may disagree!

The owners are both friendly, charming, speak excellent English and are a font of knowledge about what to see and do. Breakfast is served in the kitchen with the guests from the other room. Egg and bacon are provided as well as cereal and breads. This historic quirky house is full of Dutch charm and so much better than a chain-hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

The location was perfect very close to everything. The room was great with a very comfortable bed, plenty of space and a fantastic view! I have stayed in many hotels and apartments and this was excellent for the city. I tend to spend ages searching through all accomodation in the city i visit and would consider myself quite picky. Saying that i would have no problem recommending here to anyone. I know some people may complain about the price but i looked at many hotels that were way more expensive for a room half the size of the Canal room here. Plus you can't put a price on pure relaxation and comfort which Herengracht has in abundance.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Madrid
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Stayed with my husband and friends from Madrid during the weekend of October 23rd to the 25th. This is a place I would absolutely return and I have already promoted the B&B to many friends and colleagues. Its location is perfect. The B&B is cosy, 'gezellig', and the hosts are very kind and make you feel very welcome.
This place is so much better than a hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to B&B Herengracht 21? Share your experiences!