“Great Location and Brilliant view - DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Damrak Apartments

and 1 more site!
You added Damrak Apartments to your Saves list
Damrak Apartments
Haringpakkerssteeg 5a - 5f, 1012 LR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #259 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great Location and Brilliant view - DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Where do i begin....

Location: -
Right near sex museum and 3 mins away from central station. Right outside the canal cruise. Street was very in very dark and narrow. You would not know the apartment was there, its just a door on a back street.

Arrival: -
We arrived at 15:00 rang the buzzer for concierge and no answer. We had to ask a shop keeper about the apartment and he said we needed to ring the owner of the apartments to let us in. We waited 40 mins for the man to turn up. We had a 4 mins trek up and down the stairs to reach our apartment door. When we arrived in the room they required an extra 150 euro for a deposit which was not mentioned. He then forgot the card machine so we had to arrange another time for him to come back again we had to call him.

Overall apartment: -
In one bedroom wardrobe door hanging off, drawn on cupboard broken, windows would not close. Mans dirty underwear and clothes left in the draws. Two beds were not made (even though we stated 5 people on the invoice they had only 3 people were arriving). Two mouse holes covered up with tape and we had regular visits from them. Mouse droppings behind furniture and on beds. Only good thing was the view.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Southport, Merseyside
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked this apartment for my son and four friends. They were a mixed party of 19/20 year olds who earn very little. My son is an apprentice earning £95 week and he saved up hard to go on this break. Once they had checked in he rang me quite upset because the greeter had told him that something had been missed off the contract we were sent and he needed to pay 100 euros for cleaning. He paid because that's the kind of person he is and didn't want to ask his friends because they too don't have much money. In fact one of his friends fell foul to pick pockets on the train and lost all his money. So they get to the apartment and another robber takes a further 100 euros off them. I booked one of the more expensive apartments for them and gave them a little towards it, so how come they said it wasn't great with loose sockets, and one or two not working. There were no window curtains or blinds in the lounge area even though one of them was expected to sleep in there. Also to reach their apartment they had to go one outside walkways twice to reach it. The owner contacted them on the last day and asked if they would like to stay a couple of extra hours, because they had a late flight and no one was booked in. He didn't tell them until after they agreed that he wanted 50 euros for the privelage. They said no that they couldn't afford it so he charged them 25 euros for 4 extra hours.

I would book somewhere else if I were you.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

we went to the damrak for three nights, its a great place to stay, right in the centre but just far enough to be away from any serious racket, the appartment was really spacious, there was four lads in our party, huge lounge,diner kitchen, the view was fantastic and the double glazing worked wonders. the lounge area is very comfatable,no english on the tv, the kitchen was fully equipped with spotlessly clean utensils, we made a full breakfast one morning, i would say that you could easily arrange a fantastic dinner party for up to 8 people in comfort. there is also a small wc on this level and i slept on a divan in the corner. theres a duplex with two bedrooms, one with bunk beds the other with twins, theres also a fold up bed on the landing, the bathroom is great it has a bath with shower and also a walk in shower.to use all available beds it would sleep 6 but id say that at least another two on the large sofas, the stairs are crazy, its quite a trip uphill and down dale but as others have said its part of the fun,perhaps the only moan is the horrible smell of weed as you pass a coffe shop on the way up to the appartment, thats par for the course here, of course if your less able then id not reccomend the damrak. oh we did have a bloke come in with a key, he clocked us and faster than a news of the world reporter he made his excuses then left, was this the theif? did he come into our apartment whilst we were on the razz? we'll never know! suffice to say that nothing went missing mind you nothing was left out or on show. the same to be said for food so saw no little visitors. we had a great time, perhaps our footie didnt get the result we wanted but that never put us off, the local supermarket on the back streets is great for cheap food and beer, ive already recommended the damrak and one of our party is on his way back next week,

Room Tip: im sorry ive forgotton our apartment number, the duplex on the top floor overlooking the street, end...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sepang, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Easily access, located in the center of Amsterdam city. We just walk in without any reservation and the staff tried her best to get room for us. Very friendly and very helping staff. The bus tour just the steps away. Overall Recommended! Apartment fix with refrigerator, hot and cold shower, LCD tv, microwave, heater, towels, sugar tea n coffee,1 double bed and 1 single bed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I was not going to write this review as thought it may have been a one off, but we also were robbed from these apartments by some with a key!

My advise would be to avoid this complex - Amsterdam has so much more to offer than spending your short weekend in the police station!

Very disappointing!

• Stayed August 2012
glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

APARTMENT ROBBED THEY USED A KEY! DO NOT STAY HERE! DO NOT STAY HERE! APARTMENT ROBBED THEY USED A KEY!

Stayed here in July 2012, it was my 6th time staying in these apartments BUT DEFINITLEY MY LAST, a group of us stayed for the Ajax v Celtic game , while we where at the Ajax amsterdam arena someone entered our apartment with a key and stole my iPad, external hardrive and £550 , all mine and my fiends WEED, WHICH WASENT CHEAP EITHER ,they also took £500 from my friends bag and my other friends €600 they took his size 8 trainers too aftershave, deodorant , t-shirt , this happened Saturday 21st of July , I telephoned the office THEY ASKED ME NOT TO GO TO THE POLICE but wait for the owner to come and c us (big mistake from me not going to the police station) the owner Robert turned up on the Monday we where leaving , think they thought we had left he told us he would claim his own insurance and refund me the £800 we payed for our stay , since I got home I've sent the receipts for the items stolen, with no reply I have telephoned the office to speak to Jacob (manager) but with only gettin to speak to him once (when he told me i would get my refund) and after numerous phone calls with no reply ,safe to say Scottish accents are frowned upon in the office now I have made a complaint to Expedia who are also tryin to get in touch with jacob and damrak shortstay with no success , so I've decided to leave a review for any others thinking of staying here DONT was clearly an inside job and we've been well an truly shafted , oh and Robert if u read this remember u asked me not to leave trip advisor reviews well I'm gona do my best to leave a review like this on every website , THANKS FOR STICKING TO YOUR WORD ,

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PLEASE DONT STAY HERE!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here September 2010 for 3 days and could not have been happier! The apartment was perfect for 3 adults! The rooms were clean, close to everything, and very cool experience staying in an apartment instead of a hotel. We have already booked another stay this coming October!

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Damrak Apartments? Share your experiences!