“An nice and original place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,020 of 2,463 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Tara is an International pub, where you can have a drink at one of the beautiful bars or lounge on a sofa near the fireplace . Watch sports or play pool or to eat a tasty meal. It is also possible to reservate for larger groups.
Arlon, Belgium
“An nice and original place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

There's different styles in just one place, to eat or just drink something in a warm and cosy ambiance or have a party, everything is possible at The Tara.
The staff is nice and helpful, the food is delicious, the music is good.
A perfect place to be !

Visited January 2014

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Bad food, even worse service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Never have I, as a customer, been felt so unwelcome by my waiter. Waiter was rude, and dismissive of us as clients. Furthermore, my fish and chips sat waiting on the kitchen counter for over 10 minutes as they cooked my girlfriends order. This is understandable when a large party is ordering, but there were few others in the restaurant except ourselves. When my girlfriends food eventually arrived, her fish had ham on top of it (which wasnt listed on the menu). As a pescetarian she requested it to be removed, the waiter seemed highly offended by this request and insisted that it was on the menu and vocally discussed with the chefs what a b***h my girlfriend was being.
All in all, I would NOT recommend this restaurant. While it is in a convenient area, walking in any direction will save you a lot of hassle.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Not a traditional Irish pub you would find on your travels, cosy and busy when we were seated. Sadly the food let it down greatly. My duck was cooked perfectly unfortunately it's accompanying veg & potato was not although I fared better than Mr B whose whole supper looked like it had been left to stand whilst my duck cooked. We didn't bother to see what the puddings were like.

Visited December 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“The Tara Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend ate in The Tara two nights ago after stumbling upon it. It is in a quiet location down a side street off Dam Square where it would be quite difficult to find otherwise. Most establishments on this row looked modern and pricey so we were pleasantly surprised by the prices. It was not cheap by any means but reasonable. The decor inside The Tara is modern and chic albeit not very Irish. The staff were friendly and helpful. I had the vegetarian lasagne which was particularly good and cooked with pesto and spinach. My boyfriend had the steak and although we never realised he was not asked how he would like it cooked, it came pink and was served well presented. Drinks were also reasonably priced and we both enjoyed the meal. Would highly recommend it!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Okay location, sloppy food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

It is a good location for small and large parties. A lot of space and seeting for various occasions.
From the memory of going there with larger groups we decided to have our breakfast there with just the two of us.

The service was quick and friendly. The interior is a bit schizophrenic. A lot of different "styles" mixed up.

The price was so-so. About €30 for 2x breakfast with 2 drinks.

The food quality was reason enough to not go there again for the food but only for some drinks or maybe a fried snack.
We had 2 times the tara's breakfast. Typical English breakfast, which i love.
It was okay but really a bit sloppy.
The toasted bread was moldy. A real let down.
The tomato was baked in the same pan they do the fish and chips in. (noted due to smell and taste)
There was a chip in the beans/mushrooms mix.
I try not to be all too whiny but these things really grind my gears.

We were offered a free drink extra but were not in the mood.

I'm sure they can do better with a little more focus but this time for us it was reason enough to decide not eating there for a couple of years. (or maybe just go for a fried snack with a beer)

• Visited November 2013