“Definitely not a classic Irish pub. Good food, good place to have a guinness by the fire & not a bad place to watch sporting eve” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Tara Irish Pub

Ranked #1,020 of 2,463 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Tara is an International pub, where you can have a drink at one of the beautiful bars or lounge on a sofa near the fireplace . Watch sports or play pool or to eat a tasty meal. It is also possible to reservate for larger groups.
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This place is huge. It has multiple rooms with a different feeling in each. In 2 fo the rooms, there are fireplaces.

Lunch and dinner options are pretty good, especially if you're a meat eater.

Service is generally friendly. During busy times, it can be a bit spotty.

Although they call themselves an Irish pub, there's nothing 'classic Irish pub' about it. Staff are international and aside from a few Irosh items on the walls, rooms are designed in a modern, somewhat flashy way. Still a good place to stop off for potato soup and a guinness by the fire.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Algarve, Portugal
“Medieval food in 21st century Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Although we were pulled in by the many mentions of a great full English breakfast, we ended up going for full fledged dinner. The place is great with many different type areas to sit and hang -- even a huge fireplace. The food was not what we were expecting but wonderful nonetheless. Ordered turkey delight and was literally offered a full leg of turkey alongside jacket potatoe. After getting over the shock of the medieval and authentic way the food was presented it turned out a great and delicate meal. Around us others ordered what appeared a massive and great tasting burger! Might go for that next time. A couple of days later we returned to try the breakfast and although it was extremely well done it definitely was not full English style, more like Hilton's version of it... After the medieval food experience from before I had expected a super authentic full English which was not fulfilled, although my taste buds thoroughly were!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Not a real Irish Bar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Went to this bar on Saturday to watch the Ireland vs Argentina Rugby Match.
There are multiple TV screens in this bar but only one, tucked away around the back with a faulty screen was showing the Ireland game. England vs South Africa was showing on several other screens. I would expect a true Irish bar to give at least equal billing to the Ireland game.

The staff were grumpy and rude and the food was overpriced, It's an unIrish bar in my opinion.

Go to Mulligans or O'Reillys is my advice ...

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Shocking Service and overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

From the outside The Tara looks inviting. Once inside the decor is lovely with sofas/chairs and open fires. The menu's description of the food makes your mouth water, however once it arrives OMG! My wife had a lady burger which she thought was alright, I had one of the more expensive dishes "for the meateaters" being part of the description. 1 sausage, 1 pce bacon and a chicken leg on a bed of saurkraut (which I do like) & 3 boiled potatoes was served in a dish swimming in goose fat. It was awful!!!! To cap it off one of the staff/supervisors (trying to be friendly?) put both his hands on my shoulders and asked me "what's your problem?". After the shock I realised that something may have been lost in the translation and made light of the comment. My wife thought we had better let him know how offensive the remark is to English speaking people however when we spoke with him he was dismissive and told us he was well known in Amsterdam and implied he could say what he wanted and walked away. All in all a memorable nights dining for all the wrong reasons.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London
“Slow service, no food and frayed tempers!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We happened upon this bar as we looked for a quick bite to eat in central Amsterdam. As some of our party was returning home, we only had 30 mins to spare before they had to depart.
The menu outside was comprehensive and included sandwiches to we decided to give it a try.
Once inside the first sight was of a young waitress getting a dressing down from a very irate looking chef. Note to managers, this is NOT a good sign to customers. The waitress directed us to a table but five mins later we still hadn't received the menu nor had our drinks orders been taken. We found a menu once bar and retrieved it ourselves.
Eventually, I stopped what looked like one of the managers to take our drinks order. Having taken two of our orders, he then went to check if they served herbal teas, returning about 5 mins later with 2 drinks and no answer. Having given 2 more drinks orders, another manager came to our table with these and asked for our food orders. We explained that we were on a tight deadline and we wanted something really quick. He promised that a waitress would come imminently and take our food orders and it would take a few mins.
10 mins passed. No orders were taken. The same manager passed by and saw the menu still on the table. He apologised and asked what we want but to be honest, we only had less than 15 mins left at that stage but he pressed us. I ordered bread and olive oil and was told it would take 3 mins tops.
15 mins passed. No bread. Drinks gone. We asked this manager for the bill. At this point I expected another apology but no! The manager actually shouted at my friend as we refused to pay for the bread which we had NEVER received. Then I saw the manager shouting at the same poor waitress who was shouted at by the chef when we walked in. Then he came over to the table to apologise for shouting at us and made the waitress calculate our drinks bill. We paid the drinks bill in full even though after an experience like that I would have expected the drinks for free. It was truly one of the worst dining experiences ever. We didn't even get to dine!
In short, the bad atmosphere, the aggressive manager, the lack of food and the terrible service means that this is one Irish pub that I would stay clear of in the future!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere