“Amazing Indian food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koh-i-Noor

Koh-i-Noor
Westermarkt 29 | Near Anne Frank Huis, 1016 DJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)
+31 20 623 3133
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 2,251 restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Description: Free wi-fi in both retsuarants . 1. Westermarkt 29.1016 Dj. Amsterdam.2. Rokin 18. 1012 Kr amsterdam.
Sierre, Switzerland
“Amazing Indian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Before going to Amsterdam I reviewed quite a few restaurants here on TripAdvisor. I wanted to experience various ethnic foods. Koh-i-Noor was rated one of the top Indian restaurants in Amsterdam so I decided to try it out with my girlfriend. WOW! We were very impressed! The service was great and the food delicious. The restaurant is VERY small so make sure and reserve ahead of time. She and I didn't reserve so we were asked to wait at the bar next door. They came and got us when our table was ready. Very nice! Since I don't like coriander I asked that it be put on the side for my friend...no problem! All-in-all it was a wonderful experience and I highly recommend this place to everyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Best Indian food Ive ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Ive been to Amsterdam a few times and ever since that first meal, I come back here every time. Dutch people are nice, but the family who owns this restaurant makes sure that you are all taken care of. Perfect for all occasions. I live in Murray Hill in NYC, which they nickname Curry Hill because of the number of Indian Restaurants but I'd rather be at Koh-I-Noor anyday.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Short changed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

If this is the best Indian in Amsterdam, I wouldn't like to try any other, food quality was poor, they focused on quantity rather than quality, I had the mixed plate to start, poorly presented and poor quality, my wife had onion bhaji, both mains were poor, they came with a pile of rice which had mixed veg through it which we found strange, and also an uninspiring salad which didn't look fresh and wasn't touched, we seen loads of salad going back to the kitchen untouched, there was no need for it.
The bill came to about 63 euro, I gave them 100, change came back 10 short, as soon as I pointed this out to the waiter he knew straight away how much short he was, looked deliberate to us, I wouldn't ever return here.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
sardool s, Owner at Koh-i-Noor, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor. I am surprised to read all this. When you and your wife were here you were saying all the time"it is very good etc". Now because of one mistake from one waiter everything is BAD. Anybody can make a mistake.I know it is bad but it was not done intentionally.As you said that waiter /we knew exactly how much short it was. It is not right
as I came back from outside ( you know that) and i have seen the change myself then i shouted at the waiter to give correct change. He did the same and we all of us ask SORRY so many times .
Also, when you were complaining about this, you heard from other customers in the restaurant that "this is not that kind of people and restaurant.".We are doing this restaurant business for more than 32 years and nobody has ever questioned our honesty and integrity. Sir, with all the respect for your ten Euros, we would not cheat any customer even for 10 cents. Because of your review, I had to shout on the same waiter for this mistake, he got really upset and left the restaurant and went home. I am not sure if he will be coming back to work.

If we were like that we could never exist so long. ANY ONE MAY COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR QUALITY BUT WE DON"T ACCEPT COMPLAINS ABOUT OUR HONESTY as we are maybe the only restaurant who have been giving free food to homeless for years now. If we had to cheat someone, we would have never engaged in such noble activities...even then we are sorry for the mistake (not done intentionally).

At last, if you are not satisfied with our reasons, if you are still in Amsterdam, please come back and collect the amount you paid or send us your bank details and we will transfer back the money to you.

Best regards from Koh-i-noor management.
Oslo, Norway
“Ok restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The food was ok, but nothing special. We've had much better Indian food elsewhere. The portions were large and the prices relatively low. But I don't understand how this resultant has achieved a rating among the top ten in Amsterdam.

Istanbul, Turkey
“Nice and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We visit Koh-i-Noor and we really like, the prices are acceptable, service was great. everything was wonderwull.
It was very clean also.