“Nice room in good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Central Guest Rooms

You added Central Guest Rooms to your Saves list
Central Guest Rooms
Vijzelstraat 71, 1017 HG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Sasha Bed & Breakfast) (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #123 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Ko Phangan, Thailand
“Nice room in good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked the larger room with en suite bathroom and stayed 4 nights - the room was nice and spacious, although the bathroom is small it was fine for our stay. Great location - you can access the whole of Centrum on foot from here (or tram stop directly across the road). The room was lovely and warm when we got back each night - I think this is on a timer to come on in the evenings. The stairs are steep but this is common for Amsterdam and helped me burn off all the waffles and cream I ate! The owner (Alex) was friendly and we saw him often during our stay. We did pay extra 5.5% city tax - we knew this as Amsterdam hotels always charge this and often it is not included in the price given by the booking website - be sure to check the exact amount before arriving. Great place if you are looking for more of a studio/guest house stay rather than hotel environment Would recommend if this the case.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I think the owner stays above. I think he is trying to save on electricity. He charge us extra 5% on top of the booking fee. He only accept cash. Share kitchen and you can't use the stove. Please don't come. Staircase very steep. Regret booking this room. Booking.com should cancel this hotel from it's list. BAthroom very small. No hot water after my wife bath. Have to wait for 30 minutes for more hot water.

Room is very cold.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I booked the room via booking.com and had no problems and I didn't pay any additional money. The location is very good, around 25 min walk from Central Station. There is a supermarket near Sasha. We were allowed to use the kitchen (microwave, make cofee and tea). Room was very spacious and clean. There was a tv and little fridge in our room, we had private bathroom (with the hairdryer).
Sasha is not serving breakfast, you need to pay for that. Was a little noisy in the room as one of the main street is out of the windows, but it was not so disturbing.
The biggest minus is that wifi is so weak that we couldn't connect neither in our room and the kitchen. If we wanted to use the internet, we had to sit on the stairs. And that is why my rate is 4/5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glenside
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I traveled all around Europe in May for a month. We found Sasha B&B online and read some bad reviews but still booked with him. We booked with him Jan or Feb and again our trip was in May. We had to confirm with him about picking up the key and time. So the day before we left for our trip we confirmed a time and everything. It was important to us to confirm all this as we would be traveling for awhile and wouldn't come to Amsterdam for about two weeks. The next day when we were about to leave for our trip for three weeks we checked our email one last time to be safe. Sasha had emailed us to tell us he is overbooked and can NO longer have us come and good luck in finding a new place.

First we booked MONTHS ago, Second he confirmed with us the DAY BEFORE and then tells us hes overbooked the day we were leaving. This guy is search a jerk. We were lucky to find another place the day we were leaving but it was stress we did NOT want to deal with. So if I were you I would NOT BOOK A PLACE HERE!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallinn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

The room was cute and very clean. So was the batroom, although it was a share. The downside was that the manager was 30 minutes late to give me the key and I had to wait for him, he did not pick up his phone and I had no idea how much longer I was supposed to expect him. Once he was there, he was very helpful and nice. So, if you are looking for a place where there are people you can contact without any hassle (e.g. to change the light bulb), this is not the place; if you don`t care about that, go ahead. But it should not be listed as a hotel. Also, the breakfast is to be paid separately - why is it advertised as B&B? It is a room rental. Its location is great, the rooms stylish and cosy. Also, I had to pay extra 5% of some tax. And yet, when I had booked it via booking.com, it said the price there has been final. So not nice.

Room Tip: Rooms are of different size, ask how big your room would be.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Accomodating
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and although the room was reasonably clean and cheap, overall, I found this place unacceptable.

Dave a.k.a. Sasha himself lives on the top floor of the house. When we arrived, he greeted us and charged another 5% "taxes" on our booking. According to the website where we had booked the room, however, taxes were already included in our payment. Also, his calculations led him to a strangely round sum. Anyways, we didn't argue with him because it was still reasonably cheap and also we wouldn't have managed to find an alternative on a Friday evening in Amsterdam.

The rooms were clean but would not bear up against closer inspection. There were cigarette stubs under our bed, stains on the bed, and mould in the bathroom. Also, we had to share the bath with the neighbouring room (which was not exactly clear from the website). Change of towels would be charged extra, the rooms were not cleaned during our stay, and when our neighbours had managed to use up all the toilet paper, Dave was untraceable. Another nuisance was that the rooms were extremely noisy because the house is located at one of the main roads. We would not have been able to sleep without ear plugs.

As was mentioned in previous reviews, the stairs are challenging and you will not probably be able to climb up with larger pieces of luggage or if you have difficulties with stairs (also, the whole house is crooked - literally!). The same applies for the tiny bathroom that gets very slippery after showering and to make matters worse, the drainage of the shower that is only partially working makes it a mini-bath tub. You will have to be very cautious not to fall.

This is also the bottom line of my review: Be very cautious. I would not recommend staying here. Yes, it is located quite centrally, and it is also quite cheap. But this place is dodgy and I would rather spend some more money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Booked via hostel bookers, but had direct contact with 'Sasha' before arriving to confirm arrival dates and times - at this point all seemed OK. When we arrived things rapidly went down hill. They wanted more money for the room than we had been quoted and became very pushy about us handing it over. They also did not have the room I has assumed we were booking so we had to share a bathroom - not ideal for my pregnant wife. Neither were the very steep stairs. The room was noisy being on the main road and smokey, blowing from those smoking in the room next door and in the kitchen below. Also the room was full of mosquitoes - even in October - which meant we were eaten alive during the night. A middle aged couple from Italy arrived the day after us to be told their room booking had been cancelled, they knew nothing of this and despite paying a deposit were going to be turned away on the weekend of the Amsterdam marathon - something was sorted in the end, but was clearly very stressful given the amount of shouting that could be overheard for a good hour.
This place is clearly very suspect in it's organisation and in addition to this has a good number of other reasons to avoid.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Central Guest Rooms? Share your experiences!