“Comfortable and Luxurious but other guests & some staff rude” 5 of 5 stars
Review of WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam

You added WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hendrikje Stoffelsstraat 1 | GPS address: Nachtwachtlaan 11, 1058 GC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #32 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Blackpool
“Comfortable and Luxurious but other guests & some staff rude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I have just got back from the Fashion Hotel and I didnt expect it to be as nice as it was. The hotel is very nice, as soon as you see the building you think "Wow"....even though the surrounding area is still under development.
A friend and I went for Trance Energy which was held in Utecht. It was the best event I have ever been to....

On arrival the lady behind reception (Ramone) was really nice. She told us our room had already been paid for but I booked it on booking.com and when I checked, it hadnt. We tried to pay and she said no....the room has definately been paid for, so we were happy with this :-)
The rooms are lovely, minibar in the room is pretty expensive. About 3.50 euros for a can of beer and about 6.00 euros for a redbull. The bill for us at the end was 87 euros....!
The beds are comfortable and the bath is great. Nice deep bath to have a soak in.

Tram ride to Dam Square is about 10 mins on a number 1 Tram and about 15 mins on a number 17. You can buy a travel card from the hotel reception but for us this was a waste of money as we always got taxis back. (20 euros in a taxi) DO NOT be ripped off by some of the taxi drivers who will say 30 euros. Just tell them you got one the night before and it wasnt that much.
Everyone in Amsterdam is always trying to sell you the most expensive thing.... Like when you buy a drink... they will say: "Large?" Or when you buy food they will say: "A drink maybe? A beer?" or when you buy cigerettes they will say: "A lighter...?".....If you get the idea....

Now then, the SKYY bar is amazing.... very nice view from the bar itself. 2 of the bar guys Christian and Micheal were really nice. Made us some cocktails and try and looked after us. (Tried to get us drunk) Haha.

Room service wasnt up to much at all. The carbanara I ordered was not nice. My friend ordered a fruit salad aswell which was a bit grim. The bill for this was ridiculous too.

We went to Trance Energy on the Saturday night and went back to a friends apartment afterwards and stayed till around 11am. When we got back to the hotel in our taxi, the reception staff looked at us like something they had wiped off our shoes...... Because we had been out all night and our make up and hair was a mess they just ignored us when all we wanted was our room key. The other guests were also staring and whispering and looking at us as if to say.... "They cant be staying here look at the state of them".... we didnt look that bad at all but we had obviosly spent all night at a Trance event which was miles away, sweating like mad so we werent going to look our best. The reception staff just stuck their noses in the air and ignored us. In the end I said.... can we have our room key please and the guy actually looked shocked that we were staying there.

I just think sometimes people like that are really shallow and it got my back up!!! I dont judge people on the way they look and I am not stuck up.

When we got up to our room the maid was cleaning it and just froze on the spot and said- "Can I help you?" And I just said, Yes this is our room..... she told us to go away and come back?? And I said- "No, we need to sleep and this is our room..." The room wasnt even a mess and she had already changed the bed. She stomped off in a mood but it was the fact that she was pretty rude when we walked in and she looked like she was up to something...... Perhaps not but thats the impression I got.
Because we had room service the day before, the maid had put our tray outside our room to take away with her but she left it.... about 2 hours later just as I was falling asleep from a long night, a man knocked on the door extemely annoyed at me...
He was asking me to move the tray..... I couldnt understand what he meant and they I realised he meant the room service tray (Because the maid left it outside) I just explained to him that I hadnt put it there in the 1st place..... he took it away but he was very angry that it was there and blamed me...!!

I got disturbed again 3 times after that by maids etc and woken up (Even though the do not disturb sign was on the door)
I was happy with the hotel and service 100% until the Saturday and then it seemed to go downhill. Perhaps its different people at weekend??

On the up side- Amsterdam is great. Visit the Grasshoper :-) Try the 10 euro cocktails as they are amazing and if you go at Easter and like good music....go to Trance Energy, its life changing.

I would say stay here if you dont mind travelling into Amsterdam, but please....dont be rude to other guests. Its not really fair and it ruins their stay.... there really isnt any need, even if you are rich or from a good background (Like I am- not the rich part) there is no need to stick your noses in the air at people.
The same goes for the staff. Treat everyone the same...... Just because someone looks a bit better in their suit rather than in ugg boots and shorts because they have been out all night, it doesnt mean that they should be treated differently. This is the ONLY thing I didnt like about the hotel, so this part let it down- What a shame....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

My husband and I with another couple stayed a the Westcord last weekend for 3 nights. We found the hotel to be clean and the rooms to be large. A few points to mention are there are no drawers in the bedroom which is a bit of a pain. The door to the bathroom is clear glass so if you are staying with a friend they can see you showering. The toilet however is in another place so that bit is OK. The towels are minute. Free Wi-fi is great. The reception staff are OK but could do with more people and they could be a bit friendlier. The breakfast is a good selection but not enough waiting staff during breakfast so the tables are not that clean if you arrive late. The bar on the 10th floor does great cocktails. It is about 20 mins from the centre of town by tram.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for Christmas, the journey from the station to the hotel was treacherous due to the recent snow and took us about 30 mins walk not a great start, also no taxis outside station so be warned.

The hotel interior is very stylish and modern, reception staff checked us in early with no fuss nearly 2 hours before we were expected which was relief after that walk.

The rooms are very modern and stylish, pictures on the hotel website don't do it justice, plenty of multi lingual channels on lcd tv to keep you happy if thats your thing.

You should visit the bar on the top floor a little pricey but you do get a grat veiw of the surroundings at night.

Journey to amsterdam centre is about 10-15 mins from the hotel on a tram, (5 min walk to tram stop even in the snow), purchase a travel card from reception this will save you some pennies and make sure you swipe when getting on/off tram or it could invalidate your pass, so we were told.

Now the buffet breakfast is to die for, this was included in our stay very filling and some thing for everyone, try the waffles and pancakes...Mmm

Now a word of warning if you get a little peckish while in town around the corner from the britiish bulldog about a minute walk on the left is restraunt offering all you eat ribs avoid like the plague we found the staff very rude and the food sub standard in our opinion.

Apart from that great hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

The hotel was nice and great value, but if you are the kind of person who spends most of your time out of the hotel and is going to be heading home later at night then this may not be an ideal place for you to stay. You have a 5 min walk to the closest tram station, then about a 25 min tram ride in to town. If PT is not your thing the cab fare is pretty expensive - we ended up catching a cab home every night... Also, the hotel surrounds are very dull - there is nothing to do and no local shops nearby to pick up essentials etc. Rooms were very nice and clean - only problem we found was that water ends up all over the bathroom floor as there is no catchment for the shower.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

The hotel it so new that the block its on it still being finished. There was no disturbing construction though when I was there. The hotel is literally brand news, which makes for a nice comfortable stay, and some snags - eg shower didn't drain away properly.

It you get there before people come home from work who live in the apartments on the same block, at the time of writing (March 2010) you can park free on the street at night and avoid the hotels 30 euro parking fee. Reception said that the city is introducing street parking in the future....

The hotel is next to the Amsterdam Ring but faces in to a new courtyard and over to the park. Its not a destination hotel but its not meant to be. Pool and gym looked nice - I would use them next time know I know they are there.

Comfortable, reasonably priced and free WIFI included. Good for a business stay. Would go back but not for leisure stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Very good hotel. Paid £100 for 2 nights (half price deal.) Location reasonable for price, though construction works nearby meant that you have to walk along a road for a bit, though I think this is now resolved. Solid 4 star hotel, at £100/night it is reasonable still, though more than that I would look closer to town. Every thing was new, clean and very well run with friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

The westcord fashion hotel is located on the overtoom road just by the ring road. There is a tram stop about 5 min walk from the hotel, the tram takes roughly 8-10 mins to leidseplein and a further 5 mins to Dam square and central station. The hotel was very clean and modern, the buffett breakfast was very nice.

rooms are very spacious with good facilities, the rooms are a little dark and can sometimes be a bit cold.

Taxi to leidseplein is 10 Euros but if you are coming back late in the evening can be anything from 15 - 20 Euros. All the trams stop at 12.30 am but there is a night bus back to the tram stop nearly to the hotel. Location isnt great but the hotel was brilliant and would not be a problem to commute for young couples and friends.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends