“No frills, but good veggie food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De Waaghals

De Waaghals
29 Frans Halsstraat, 1072 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
+31 20 6799609
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Birmingham, England
“No frills, but good veggie food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This felt more like a cafe than a restaurant, BUT the vegetarian food was good, imaginative and varied, and the service friendly and swift. You wouldn't want to spend a whole evening here, but we spent an enjoyable hour.Very happy to recommend the Stamppot and Waaghals Classic. Some interesting beer too.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

UK
“Lovely food. Horrendous service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We arrived having booked but the waiter seemed to find us fairly inconvenient at best. We waited for 15 minutes and then asked if we might order a drink. It seemed like the bloke had something personal against us - but no he treated other clients with the same distain. On the other hand the food was truly delicious andif you can stomachthe service you d be hard pushed to find a better veggie meal.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gandhinagar, India
“Confirms my thoughts about 'vegetarian only' restaurants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I am a hard core vegetarian for the past 4 years now, and experience has taught me to be wary of most 'vegetarian' restaurants in the west. I have MUCH better luck eating at 'regular' restaurants that serve some dishes that happen to be vegetarian, especially Italian and Middle Eastern restaurants.
But after reading some of the reviews of De Waaghals, I decided to give it a shot on a recent trip to Amsterdam. I tried the 'Classic Menu' (i think thats what it was called- cant find it on the online menu now).
The Pluses:
Intimate, Cosy, neighborhood atmosphere.
Fairly quick service.
Conveniently located within walking distance of Museumplein

The Minuses:
Most of the dishes I had missed the mark on the taste front. They weren't bad- they were just ok, and on the bland side. I had the goat cheese croquettes for my appetizer. These were the best tasting thing I had, though they could have done better with less breading, being pan fried instead of deep fried, and being shaped differently than unfortunately shaped logs. The green chutney/pesto was a good accompaniment.
The Entree was a mysterious mish mash of (to me) disparate components that didnt really come together well. There was a beet salad, buckwheat pancake, potato gratin, poached pear- all thrown together on the same plate. The elements didn't work well together, and frankly a few didnt work even on their own. The potato gratin tasted like it had been heated from the previous day and didnt have much flavour. The pancake was pretty bland and didnt really taste of anything much. The salad tasted as it should. The poached pears were a nice surprise- they had a untertone of some spice that had been thrown into the poaching liquid. But it was more dessert than entree.
I picked a banana cream pie for dessert, but what was served to me was unlike any other banana cream pie I have had. The base seemed to be a reassembled crust (unbaked) made from crushed crackers or something similar. The 'filling' seemed to be fresh banana pieces combined with a yogurt 'cream' and spooned over the crust. Not the lucious baked crust, banana slices and whipped cream I had been expecting. I am sure what was served to me was a lot healthier- but again, not what I was expecting.
My server was very pleasant and cheerful, but didnt seem to know enough about the menu. I had a few questions for her, and she had to go ask the chef to get the answers to more than a couple of them.
At about 30 Euros for the whole meal, I would not say this was great value for money.

But again, I don't want to be too harsh with DW. There has obviously been a good deal of thought gone into their concept and menu; they obviously try to provide good tasting, original vegetarian food (the menu keeps changing) which I am sure a lot of vegetarians appreciate- however, it just didnt work well enough for me from both the taste as well as concept point of view.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“OK food, OK service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Frist, let me say that it wasn't that the staff were unwilling, quite the contrary, they were very helpful, efficient and attentive but the place was very busy when we were there and so they were a bit stretched. The restaurant itself is a bit tired and run down. The menu is limited but the food is good, trying to be inovative but hampered by poor presentation and perhaps too big portions? What we ate was OK but I would not go there again, and it should not be touted as one of the 6 best restaurants in Amsterdam.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Easy to take, fresh and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We found the restuarant to be very clean, the food very tasty, and the service very friendly. What more can one ask for with dinner and beverages for 2 for under 50 Euro and end up with a big amount of salad for take-away in Amsterdam?
Mind the cat though, he's lovely but a tad grumpy about strangers continually trying to pet him (LOL)
I would certianly return.

• Visited September 2013