“Perfect backpacker's choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

You added citizenM Amsterdam to your Saves list
citizenM Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinses Irenestraat 30, 1077WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Announcement
Become a citizen!
Ranked #35 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hamburg
“Perfect backpacker's choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I stayed together with my girlfriend, and we loved the place. The concept is cool and the decoration is outstanding. This place is perfect if you would like to stay in a non-conventional hotel or if you are a backpacker but hate hostels. This place has the charm of a hostel without being one. The rooms are fun, and the powerful shower is exactly what you need after a long walk in Amsterdam. The only inconvenience is the distance to the main touristic attractions, however a good choice for business travelers since it is right next to the World Trade Center and one main train station. The staff is young and very friendly and always willing to assist you. Very good choice, we highly recommend it

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
capetown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

Actually my review is for the Citizen M hotel at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam. I have not stayed at the one in central Amsterdam but just read a review on this hotel on Trip Advisor. The guest described the staff as "similar to Macdonalds". This is so contrary to my experience at Schipol Citizen M that I can hardly believe it. The staff were fantastic .... especially a girl with red framed glasses who shared my enthusiasm with design, was so knowledgeable and design savvy and loaded me with so much info on the interior design and architects responsible for this exceptional hotel. I was blown away by all the design elements, state of the art Vitra furniture and lighting, the most amazing books I've ever seen - could happily have holed up there for a while and not even gone into Amsterdam. Unfortunately it was a one night stopover, my flight was leaving early morning. Next time in Amsterdam I plan to stay at both Citizen M hotels based on my experience at the Schipol one.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010 via mobile

This was by far one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in! Everything was perfect, free wifi, use of computers, right beside the tram line 5 stop. It was a 5 min walk to the WTc train station! The room was gorgeous so clean and modern, and my boyfriend loved the moodpad! The staff were 100% and so helpful! Def will be staying in the citizenm again... Thumbs up!

• Stayed September 2009
Birmingham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

I am not going to write much about the hotel or the rooms - it is just a fantastic. Other reviews go into details about the HUGE comfortable bed, gadgets, rain shower ... and strange toilet arrangements ... I was with my sister and we really didnt care about this - infact we had a really good laugh!! I travelled with my sister for a 3 night 'budget airline' break during half term. The room was 55 Euros a night - a breath of fresh air in a very expensive city.

Check in at the self check in desks is really easy - but I am part of the 'computer generation' I did see lots of other visitors struggling. There is a 'citizen' to help you if you need it - and that brings me to my only bone about this place.

The staff are rubbish, in a nut shell, totally awful! Imagine a hotel being run by the same teenagers who serve you a Big Mac - with about the same enthusiasm. My sister left her mobile phone on the coffee kiosk, we went outside for a cigarette (absolutely no smoking inside the building) and when we returned it had gone. The staff on duty were not at all interested and told us what did we expect in a public area? We enquired about contacting the Police and the staff member told us theft was very high in Amsterdam and they would probably not be interested.

Secondly on our final night another guest had been smoking in their room and set off the fire alarms in the hotel - we evacuated 3 times over the night as the staff did not know how to reset the alarm. Eventually a member of staff from the CitizenM at Amsterdam Airport arrived to show them how to do it - as you can imagine most residents were not in the best of spirits ... we were offered no apology - not even a cup of coffee to keep us warm while standing in the late October Amsterdam frost.

I guess in a way the awesome rooms and inexpensive rate took the edge off this experience and we can look back and laugh as 2 young travellers, but I cant imagine the guests with families were so forgiving.

I would certainly visit the CitizenM again, and really hope the concept grows to other large cities across the globe - as long as you don't need any help - and you can be a self sufficient 'citizen' you will LOVE it !

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
hotelexpertAmsterdam, social media citizen at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 26, 2010
Dear Japanista,
It makes us really happy by reading your enjoyment on the concept.
During your stay, in October, there was a guest smoking in the room spite of all the no-smoking signs around the hotel and in the room; we are a no-smoking hotel. Our fire alarm is off the highest standard for your safety and in case of heavy smoke it will not stop until the smoke has decreased to an acceptable level. We already took action on that and now we have a machine that cleans the air fast so that the fire alarm does not keep going on and off for a long period.
I went back to track your specific concerns about the Ambassadors and the issue with your sister’s mobile phone. We understand we need to be very careful and sensitive in situations like this and have spoken to the staff members on shift. They apologize if their response did not come across as genuine, as they did really care about your stolen phone.

Other than teenagers, our staffs were carefully selected by their smile, dedication to serve and their ability to understand our guests. The experience you had is not the one we want our guests to have.

We did appreciate your feedback and since the e-mail you’ve sent to our Hotel Manager, at that time, actions were taken immediately to prevent from happening again.

We really hope to see you soon, should this happen, let me know so I can personally welcome you back.

All the best,
citizen Diego
citizendiego@citizenm.com
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

This hotel introduces a whole new concept to the idea of a hotel stay, and is a highly-recommended must-visit. Everything from the check-in (a really simple do-it-yourself job at computer terminals) to the rooms (funky shower and WC pods, and huge bed) and communal area (free wi-fi computer terminals) was different from the norm. It is really pleasant to find a hotel that does not try to squeeze more money out of you for wi-fi access and bedroom movies, both of which are free. The only one small downside is that the hotel is a good 20 minute walk from the city centre, but there is a tram stop right outside and so this is not a problem.

signorinaangelina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

I cannot give enough praise for this hotel. Every bit of my stay was perfect. It was hip, funky, friendly and comfortable. I will stay here again next time I'm in the city.

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

A train here from Amsterdam airport costs a few Euros and is within walking distance from the hotel. Situated near to the Museum district, the tram stop is just around the corner. The city centre is just 20 min away. Room really does bring affordable luxury. I was here at the same time as the person who left a poor review. We had one cool shower during our 3 night stay for New Years Eve. Technology in room was fine too.

One thing worth mentioning about Amsterdam, public transpost stops at 8pm on New Years Eve. Taxis are extortionate! Plan your evening wisely and don't waste money on a ticket you can't use.

Would stay here again and hope they biuld more in other cities.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to citizenM Amsterdam? Share your experiences!