“THEEEEE BEST HOTEL EVER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

You added citizenM Amsterdam to your Saves list
citizenM Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinses Irenestraat 30, 1077WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #37 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Beirut, Lebanon
“THEEEEE BEST HOTEL EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

stayed at Stay inn on September
the location was ok away from the city BUT it is very close to the Nord station so any time u want u can just hop on the train and go anywhere u want.
it is in a really calm and nice area

the check in/check-out process was extra ordinary , u do it urself by checking in on the computer, u don't need to wait JUST check in , get ur key and head to ur cozy one of a kind room.

the breakfast was semi free, due to the fact that u can only eat croissant and anything else u have to pay for,

the room is such a great experience , one of a kind, u can not find anything like it any where else

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

I stayed at this hotel because of the good reviews on Trip Advisor. And yes, it's a cool budget design hotel. It's very clean and modern and this is just the type of place that I wanted for my two day business stay. I didn't care that the hotel wasn't in the city center but a 20 minutes tram ride away. Don't stay here if you want to enjoy Amsterdam on leisure.
Despite some of the staff being very friendly and helpful, I had the worst stay at this hotel and I will not return.
According to the manager there was a problem with the air conditioning.
Unfortunately, when I asked a member of the hotel after my first night to turn up the heat in my room (it was freezing, I had to turn on hot shower to get some warm air in the room) and turn off the extremely strong and ice cold draft when lying in bed, I was told that this will be taken care of. When I came back to my room late at night nothing had changed and after spending the second night with this ice cold draft blowing directly on me, I fell ill with the flu for 7 days. My business trip turned into a nightmare. In all fairness, the manager tried to make it up to me and they gave me a hot tea the second morning when I complained, he even wrote me an email but the fact remains that he knew about issues with the air conditioning and this should not have happened in the first place.

I also agree with some reviewers that the technology is ridiculous. I just want to take a shower or watch TV without having to read through the whole manual and click on a million buttons for 10 minutes before figuring it out. And I work for an online company, so technology doesn't scare me.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Rafina, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

A very trendy and stylish place to stay in Amsterdam. Its location is really convinient, near the train station and very near from the tram that takes you to the center.

Neukirchen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

Location: The hotel is really close (5, max. 10 minutes) from Amsterdam Zuid train station (first stop from the airport). Getting in the city is a 15min tram ride. The tram stop is 2 minutes away from the hotel and they run every 5 minutes until midnight, which is fabulous. A taxi ride from the Oude Kerk cost us midnight around 15EUR, which is also not expensive.

Welcome, lobby: although it's supposed to be a "do it yourself" check-in, we were actually greeted by very friendly staff, who also did the check-in for us (no big deal, just punch in the reservation number, your name and decide whether you want the South or the North side). We chose the latter, with views over the World Trade Center. The lobby has a posh cafeteria. We would not recommend booking the breakfast as it's rather expensive (19EUR per person, if I recall correctly; you can have a much more varied breakfast for 10 EUR around Leidesplein). The rest of the lobby is, basically, a showroom for Vitra furniture (http://www.vitra.com): really cool and modern, but also very comfy. Highly recommended. The coolest thing in the lobby: there are two elevators. Waiting for them becomes way enjoyable if you browse through the supersized photo album about... sex. Quite R-rated, but seems like everyone liked it, judging by the fact that almost every time someone was browsing through it.

The lobby also hosts about 4 or 6 Macs with free Internet, a printer and basic Office applications. Good if you want to book a ticket for a museum, your flight ticket, check your mail or update your all-too-important blog.

Room: it's not very large, but not too small either. I'd dare to say that finishing is at par with a second-class yacht: the "wooden" floor and ceiling match perfectly, the bed is supersized and comfy, just a bit high. There's a drawer beneath it which can hold even two large suitcases (some 70-80L each of them), provided you get the extra pillow out. The solution with the shower and loo cabins are interesting. If you're a bit shy from your partner, there's also a courtain which acts as a divider and gives you a bit more privacy. But, definitely, it's not the kind of room you'd share with your boss, or even work colleague.

All rooms are standard two-persons and given the way they are "furnished" there's no place for a crib. So not really for families with children, unless one parent shares the room with one child and the other parent gets a second room.

The only real drawback of the setup is the fact that there are only three coat hangers (and there isn't really space for more than that).

The shower cabin needs some improvements: the doors don't always close perfectly. If they leave a 2mm gap, you can sort of flood the room. If they decide they want to leave a 4-5mm gap, then the interlock stops your shower; can happen any time. There's also a selector between a hand shower and an overhead shower and "no water"; sometimes changing from "stop" to hand shower would let also the top one dripping on your head.; shower cap (not included in the toiletry) highly recommended! Also the selector is more a piece of design than of functionality: try rotating a polished, chromed knob, with a 5mm pin while having a soapy hand.

The moodpad is everything Phillips used us to: fancy and unreliable: sometimes it would reset itself while working on it; once it failed to actually set the wake-up call; if you watch telly and want to turn down or up the TV, it may take as long as 15 seconds to re-establish the link with the room, which is annoying at best. Plenty of TV stations, including two channels for adults; but, hey, you're in Amsterdam, so go to the RLD instead!

The rooms are quiet. I mean really quiet. The only quieter room we had was in Kempinski Heiligendamm. The doors are really thick (and heavy). And since each "container" has also a technical hatch, there's a 30cm gap between rooms, which, sure, helps with soundproofing.

Bottom line: really cool experiment, really nice and very international staff. Location is good for getting to the airport and decent for getting in the city. Prices are unbeatable and, at least when we were there, they waived the EUR 0.02 worth of international phone conversationS (that's plural!).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

I booked this hotel initially on the basis of it's low cost and value for money. On previous trips to the city, we have stayed in a more central location (Hotel Misc) but having got to know the centre well, this was an attractive and good value option.

On arrival at Amsterdam Zuid Station (5 mins from Schiphol) it quickly became apparent that this was a heavily commercialised area: lots of modern architecture, office blocks and well-dressed/suited work people. The hotel was a little tricky to locate (partly my fault for trying to 'wing it' without any map etc) with an absence of signage from the station. However, it is extremely well located on a quiet residential road near to the south station: exit the station north, walk past the WTC, underneath the road, through a small park, turn right onto a small road and the hotel is a short distance away on the left hand side.

From the moment you begin check-in, you know this hotel is going to be different: check-in is done using an automated system on a computer. As someone who opts for self-service checkouts as much as possible (e.g. supermarkets, train stations etc) this was immediately very appealing. A smartly dressed member of staff was also on hand to offer assistance but the computer system worked seamlessly.

One difference that I liked during check-in was the ability to chose your room, including which floor and north/south facing. A nice touch I thought.

The room: well....! If you're staying with a friend and never been naked together then book 2 rooms without fail. However, singles and couples will be fine. The reason for this is that the rooms consist of one space. Within this single space is your shower, toilet and bed. There is therefore no separation between these facilities which could be difficult for some 'less familiar' groups (!). For us, however, it was a very intriguiging concept, if not a little cramped. The pods which contain the shower and toilet use clear doors which can be closed/opened but this leaves little room for manoeuvre. On this note, these are not rooms to sit and read in (for example), as the only space would be the bed. Which can be ok for some. The bed is enclosed by 2 walls and a floor to ceiling window, which again is going against what you'd normally design into a bedroom. But they are huge and very comfortable. One slight disappointment with the room was that it was not thoroughly cleaned from day to day (we had a three night stay). This meant that glasses piled up, dirt remained on the floor and generally I thought this was a poor show for such a decent hotel.

General facilities: the hotel makes up for the lack of space in the rooms in it's communal accomodation downstairs. The lounge areas are numerous and spacious. We also enjoyed the bar space and canteen. There is no restaurant, instead the canteen serves hot and cold snacks split into two sections of a pan asian and european flavour. A microwave is provided for heating your own hot snacks. I had some sweet soi chicken skewers which were great for filling a gap. Generally, we found the staff to be a real highlight of our stay: never to busy to help, plenty of them on hand and genuinely interested in your well-being.

Location: I have already mentioned above that this is a business district and the clientele I would say was predominately travelling professionals but with a fair amount of leisure travellers also. I would not recommend this hotel if you were new to the city as it is quite far out of the main tourist areas but as someone who knows the city fairly well now, the quiet suburban location was perfect. The centre was easily accessible via tram No.5 from Beethovenstraat outside the hotel.

Value: superb! We paid £77 per night using the hotel website to book (no breakfast) which is absolutely fantastic when you compare it to similar hotels in London at over £100.

Overall: this was a very original and different hotel experience. Very refreshing in many ways. However, despite the novel approach, everything has been well thought out with excellent attention to detail. I will certainly be staying again next time we're in the city and will recommend highly to others looking for places to stay.

Oh yes...almost forgot to say....make sure you eat at the 'As Restaurant' located at Platform 51 just down the road. In a similar way to the hotel, this was a highly original and high quality organic eating experience. Yum.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

This is a great concept for an inexpensive city stay which is excecuted excellently. My room was very comfortable with every facility that I need, free wifi, good shower and freebies, nice TV, an in room safe, quiet and spacious enough. The lobby area is excellent with a good cafe with a Japanese-ish menu, good coffee and loads of space to sit , work, chat and meet. The staff were very helpful, especially as I had booked by mistake for one night rather than two - they just charmingly sorted it out for me with no fuss. Another staff member took great trouble to help me to find my way to another part of the city where I was meeting colleauges, found out the train and tram and asked when I returned if everything had gone fine.

The hotel is in a nice area with plenty of local amenities, very close to the Amsterdam Zuid staton and just minutes from Schipol. It is a bit of a trek to the city center but well worthwhile for the quality of the hotel. I hope that the Citizen M concept spreads throughout Europe as I would book again if I were to find one in any location I go to on business.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Drogheda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

When booking our holiday to Amsterdam, I chose to book CitizenM as it looked fun, exciting and different (and was affordable and you didnt have to share a bathroom which seemed difficult enough to come across in this city). We arrived at Central Station as we missed our stop in Zuid, and hopped straight into a taxi to bring us to the hotel. At first, I have to admit, it was a bit daunting as the journey took well over 1/2 an hour by car (I was panicking as I felt I had booked a hotel in the middle of nowhere!) When we arrived, it was only 9am, but I was so tired I wanted to see this HUGE bed ASAP. We paid a €19.95 early check in fee, checked in, and went up to the room.
It was just like the pictures, so no surprises. I have been reading other reviews where guests said there was no luggage space, no tables and no chair. Well, there is luggage space under the bed, and quite a lot of it. There are 2 bedside tables with lamps. There is a chair (nice and comfy too). The bed is more comfortable than you could ever imagine, and is MASSIVE! (You can roll over 5 times!) And it has one of those duvets that just hug around you! The shower is loads of fun as you can use the handheld shower,or the rain shower, which is lovely (and surprisingly easy to not get your hair wet in). The two shower gels that the hotel supply are really nice (I was a fan of the PM gel). 1 bad thing though- when housekeeping came in and changed the towels, they always rolled one up and left it in the shower cubicle. This was never noticed until it was far too late and the towel was soaking. No problem really, just felt a bit bad to be leaving such wet towels for housekeeping every day!
The selection of movies was great, and the moonpad was so much fun to use. We ended up keeping the coloured lights on random, and we could sleep all day if we wanted to by shutting the blackout blinds! (suprisingly the room only has 1 european socket! and we had 2 phones to charge, and a camera!)
The hotel was not as far from the city as the taxi driver made it out to be. We used the Mac computers in the lobby to print out a map so we knew how to get to the city centre. It took about an hour (we got a bit lost), but when we arrived we rented bikes straight away. Cycling is the only way to travel in Amsterdam! It only then took us 10-15 mins to travel from the hotel to the city, and vice versa, We also chained our bikes to a pole beside the hotel, so we knew they were safe.
One night we ordered cocktails at the bar- Mmmmm! I ordered the mobile martini (i think) - and it was purple! and the barman put a purple flower in it to float on top (and then told me it was edible- WOW!) We then bought a bottle of wine and were given wine glasses to bring up to the room.
The hotel also allowed us to order a pizza,and even rang the room when it arrived.
The door signs are funky (dont come in- there's someone naked in here!), the halls are brilliant, there is so many places to hang out.
I loved it! Hmm, anything else? Oh the croissants are yummy and can be heated up.
The wake up call adapted to the time change (daylight savings!), the hair dryer is good, the staff are super friendly, ehh.. yep! thats it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to citizenM Amsterdam? Share your experiences!