“Couldn't have asked for a better hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added citizenM Amsterdam to your Saves list
citizenM Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinses Irenestraat 30, 1077WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Announcement
Become a citizen!
Ranked #33 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have asked for a better hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Recently stayed here with my boyfriend over the kings day weekend. From the moment we arrived all members of staff were helpful and friendly. We were recommended some delicious cocktails and the staff kindly explained how to get in to the centre and the best places to visit were detailed on a map for us.

The tram stop was literally a one minute walk and very easy to hop on and off. There were also citizenm bicycles available to borrow which we took great advantage of. It took us only 10 minutes to cycle to Museumplein from the hotel.

Would definitely recommend the hotel and the all you can eat breakfast in the morning, although the hotel isn't in the centre of Amsterdam it's very close to the airport and Museumplein and Amsterdam itself is tiny so it's very easy to get around!

Special thank you to Adrian, Robert, Sally and Paul for being so kind and helpful. I wish I could name all the other staff but I'm unsure of their names!

2,582 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Preston, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I'm giving an average rating just to say be careful with what the hotel really is. It seems like a nice hotel, it's just not for families or young couple... You only have one room with shower AND toilets in the same room! It's a bit strange, say goodbye to your privacy...
Other than that, seems fine. I could go there on my own.

Stayed April 2014
citizenDiego, at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hi "Laurent F",

Thanks for staying with us and sharing your observations with fellow travellers on TripAdvisor.

citizenM is for a niche on our own style, it's indeed an option of accommodation that is suitable for some. Our hotel is advertised as such with clear pictures and information, to help the decision making when looking for an accommodation.

Our focus is offering an affordable luxury hotel experience with no hidden costs. We believe in beautiful living rooms by Vitra, free Wi-Fi & movies, a 24/7 food & beverage outlet with friendly Ambassadors, great XL bed & shower and a contemporary environment surrounded by creatives & art.

I wish you safe travels.

All the best,
Diego
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed here twice. This hotel is located very close to public transport (Amsterdam Zuid station). Very calm (we preferred the street view, the garden view was not that great), futuristic with the possibility to adjust colours (that's the funny part), small rooms but enough space for everything, the crew very helpful
However, I did not recommend it for a new couple.. there is no privacy at all!!!
For everything else, it was perfect!

Sao Bernardo Do Campo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Interesting hotel! Very close to Schiphol airport, less than 10 minutes walking.
Very easy to book, check-in, check-out, all on a self-service machine and with an easygoing staff to help. Bar open 24h with great staff! Great design and modern, very different!

The room is a separate chapter. Very clean, huge and comfortable bed, a modern and different concept of showering, and very interactive, with light coloring and brightness adjustments, view to the airport and so on.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My second trip to Amsterdam, my third room at CitizenM, since I detoured halfway through, last summer... I arrived to the surprise of my friends who were still happily working there!! I was welcomed like long-lost family and treated as such through the duration of my stay, of course. Unfortunately, I'd arrived in Amsterdam with what turned out to be strep throat! My beloved friends, Adrian, Gabor and Jacob could not brew me special cups of tea fast enough for their needs. All in the interest of making me all better! My Jess was on hand to brew me her expert coffee and greet me with her beautiful smile! Robbie--my source for so many things Amsterdam-- found me a doctor to get myself fixed up! Susan-- the lady of the manor--treated me lke I was visiting nobility! Ray--as usual--acted as my brother confessor and informer for all things alternative! Ivana and Eltin made certain that I was taken care of, happy and entertained! Newbies Paul, Floris, Iwona and Katerina were a welcome addition--I didn't know there could be improvement on perfection!
My room was--of course--comfortable, welcoming, lovely and so relievingly predictable, just as you want it when you're sick!
And, on the last night, Sally from Cali, my own Katy from the Canaries, and sweet Maurius were the default leaving do committee. A heartfelt goodbye was initiated by a crafty discernment of my favorite song (what a surprise!) and hugs and gifts, all beyond any requirements of a standard, already delighted guest!
I really do feel like CitizenM is my homebase in Europe. And that is due far more to the staff and their love rather than the gorgeous, brilliant concept of an already pretty impressive hotel. Note to travelers. If it's CitizenM Amsterdam, you can ALWAYS go home!

Room Tip: I have stayed on the city side and the garden side. If you're very high up, then you can't s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Eindhoven, Nederland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

CitizenM is located in a quiet neighbourhood, close to public transport.

We like to stay here because you can get out of the crazyness of the citycenter.

The crew is very sympathetic and always helpfull (and in for a good laugh)
The room is perfect, designy, with a perfect bed, almost better than my bed at home :)

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

It's a hotel that has more focus on technology. You can adjust the light in the room in certain 'moods' for instance. And you check in to the hotel on a TV screen, with a barcode, without human interaction. The shower has sensors and all kinds of futuristic colours. And I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but it's just not my cup of tea. When I check into a hotel I want a warm human welcome. I want someone else to check me in. And above all, when you're in the room, the remotecontrol controls everything. And it needs 30 seconds sometimes to start up. for instance, If I want the curtains down, it's done by remote. I can't do it manually. Everytime I change the light by remote control, the TV pops on with a designer videoclip and ambient music. But all I want is to change the light. The buttons on the TV do not work. The remote is the control center. And it's slow and takes a few minutes to figure out at first.
For instance, I wanted to watch the 8 o clock news, but had to wait 60 seconds for the remote to kickstart. And all I wanted was to watch the news.
And again, I'm a pretty tech savvy guy.
The hotel looks hip & fashionable, but lacks some kind of soul.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
citizenDiego, at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hi "Jarno D",

Appreciate the time you took to write about your experience at citizenM, thank you.

We believe that technology can save time, enhance experience when applied in the right way, without over-using it. Reading your comments, I hope you allow me to talk through our thought process and applications.

Check-in at citizenM is done via a kiosk, just like you buy a train ticket or check-in at an airport. It takes 2 minutes and all you need is a confirmation number or your last name, no barcodes, no passport copying nor paper handling. Staff, or Ambassadors as we call here, are always available 24/7 for any help or assistance, if needed. They are not busy with bureaucracy but instead on hand for anything you might need, which includes helping you out at check-in. We think a genuine welcome isn't done mechanically from a staff who follows a procedure book, no "Good evening Mr. Last Name" here, but a genuine "hi" from a smily Ambassador is more personal.

The shower and toilet have both mood-lights, and you have to option to use it, or not, since there are wall switches like anywhere else to control other lights in the room. The entire room is controlled with a mood pad, which I apologize that took long to startup and with the TV, it should not have happened and we are investigating internally to prevent from happening with other guests. Blinds & curtains can be opened/closed electronically via the moodpad but also wall switches, which offers no barriers or learning curve.

All that said, we respect your personal preferences and understand that citizenM might not be your cup of tea. I'm again sorry for the issues you experienced with the moodpad.

Wish you all the best, safe travels and beautiful experiences.

Diego

Been to citizenM Amsterdam? Share your experiences!