“Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

Bookmark
You added citizenM Amsterdam to your Saves list
citizenM Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinses Irenestraat 30, 1077WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Announcement
Become a citizen!
Ranked #34 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

A bit quirky for our taste. See through tube wc and shower in the middle of the room and the bed with one side to clamber in and out of was not to our taste but maybe we're too old fashioned in our tastes. Breakfast was self-service continental from fridge. Location was a bit further from centre than we had realised although easily accessible by regular trams (the stop for hotel is only a couple of minutes away). Although not to our taste have given a v good rating since deserves better than average.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay. The staff are particularly good and the communal areas are great. Our room was a snug fit (rather than small) but was really interestingly designed with an enormous (room for 4!) bed that was very comfy. It's a good 30 minute journey by tram from the centre of Amsterdam which sometimes felt like a waste of time, but you're close to the tram stop. At the price we paid I'd say it was good value but not close enough to the city.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Citizen M is a very interesting concept - very reasonable prices (especially for Amsterdam), an exceptionally cool chill out/common area with minimalist, functional rooms. Everything has been thought through exceptionally well - I was concerned that we would be too cramped in our room but they're actually fine provided you don't have *too* much stuff and aren't claustrophobic.... The room design maximizes utility in a small space - the incorporation of the bathroom and shower pods is very clever. I would probably feel a bit uncomfortable sharing such a small room with a friend but it was fine with my partner. The bed is giant and serves as a lounging/couch area.

I loved experimenting with all of the funky automated controls and giving us mood lighting (everything is literally a press of a button away). The friendly stuffed rabbit on our bed was also a nice touch. I think my favourite part of the hotel is the common areas downstairs - really cool spaces filled with designer furniture to hang out in with the added bonus of the bar/cafe on hand for easy refreshments if needed.

The location is also handy - not right in the middle of Amsterdam but within a stone's throw of the number 5 tram which will take you into the city, passing by various attractions like the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. I believe there is another Citizen M right next to the airport.

This hotel won't be for everyone (my parents would hate this) but is definitely a good value yet funky option for a weekend break in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The room was 'capsule' based, the bed was big enough for two but the space overall would have been a bit cosy, luckily I was on my own and it was perfect! There were interesting features that you could control from your own remote like changing the colour of the lights in the shower, what the blinds were like and there was quite a lot of options on the TV from films to music.The bar area is open 24/7 and you can get coffee and snacks. It was a short tram ride from the city centre.
Overall, if you are looking for somewhere a bit more fun for a short break with someone you are very comfortable with, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

On the 23rd of August 2013 we traveled to Amsterdam for Room Service (a party at club NYX that was hosted by Alaska from rupaul's drag race). We booked 2 rooms in my name and with my credit card for the three of us. The first negative point came through when booking, you can't separately choose how many people are in each room but the price stays the same so there was no real problem in this.

Upon arriving you will be guided to a self check in kiosk. When I tried checking in by using both my booking number and my name I got an error in both cases. Someone of the staff immediately came to help us, they quickly fixed the problem and we could check in. For my room I needed two keys since I was staying with a friend. So I touched two keys on the touchpad so they would be loaded with the info.

I opened the room with my key and since I love a futuristic style I immediately loved the room, it's very modern and has a moodpad to adjust the lighting setting. There's two glass tubes from floor to ceiling, one being the toilet (which has sandbursted glass) and one with normal see through glass which is the shower.... It would be nice if the shower would have none see through glass as I was staying with a normal friend... When we left for dinner my friend brought his key with him and when we closed the door and I forgot something inside I noticed that his key didn't work, we went down to the reception where the first lady wasn't friendly at all and didn't understand how we had two keys and how I locked myself out. The second lady however was very friendly and came up with us to open the room and retrieve the key... However we never got a second key... As we were going out and didn't know if we would return together this was sort of annoying, but in the end we left the club together so again no harm.

When we returned from the club the FREE movies on demand were nice, they have a pretty big selection available of recent movies!

Check out went quick and smoothly, and I will be here again sometime in the future!

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same so not really a big matter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is perfect for a city break - the modern efficient design worked brilliantly for our needs - very clean and modern, comfy bed, great bar/food open all the time - with great coffee, and incredibly helpful staff.

I don't imagine it would be everyone's cup of tea, make sure you are clear on the location, it is not central but quite far out (we didn't have a problem with this as we hired bikes from Black Bikes just up the road - actually this was a brilliant addition to our holiday), also the small 'pod' style rooms mean showering and going to the loo with screens around you - very little privacy, again which were not too much of an issue for us, but it might be a bit of a passion killer for a first weekend away with someone!!!

The important things are done well, and the communal areas feel fresh and modern, it's the perfect combination of price and modern utility in our eyes - great for a long weekend. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

the concept is a really good idea and only a few minor complaints/observations:
toilets have a flushing problem ie they flush for hours unless you whack the flusher in a particular spot (found by trial and error)
shower handles very hard to use
wc and shower pods not very private-the London version is better!
lobby and public spaces are excellent
breakfast overpriced but coffee very good (there are breakfast options near A/Zuid train station)
location is good-beatrix park opposite is a pleasant surprise as is the residential area to the east and north

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to citizenM Amsterdam? Share your experiences!