“High tech with some glitches” 4 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added citizenM Amsterdam to your Saves list
citizenM Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinses Irenestraat 30, 1077WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Announcement
Become a citizen!
Ranked #33 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Antwerp, Belgium
“High tech with some glitches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

On the 23rd of August 2013 we traveled to Amsterdam for Room Service (a party at club NYX that was hosted by Alaska from rupaul's drag race). We booked 2 rooms in my name and with my credit card for the three of us. The first negative point came through when booking, you can't separately choose how many people are in each room but the price stays the same so there was no real problem in this.

Upon arriving you will be guided to a self check in kiosk. When I tried checking in by using both my booking number and my name I got an error in both cases. Someone of the staff immediately came to help us, they quickly fixed the problem and we could check in. For my room I needed two keys since I was staying with a friend. So I touched two keys on the touchpad so they would be loaded with the info.

I opened the room with my key and since I love a futuristic style I immediately loved the room, it's very modern and has a moodpad to adjust the lighting setting. There's two glass tubes from floor to ceiling, one being the toilet (which has sandbursted glass) and one with normal see through glass which is the shower.... It would be nice if the shower would have none see through glass as I was staying with a normal friend... When we left for dinner my friend brought his key with him and when we closed the door and I forgot something inside I noticed that his key didn't work, we went down to the reception where the first lady wasn't friendly at all and didn't understand how we had two keys and how I locked myself out. The second lady however was very friendly and came up with us to open the room and retrieve the key... However we never got a second key... As we were going out and didn't know if we would return together this was sort of annoying, but in the end we left the club together so again no harm.

When we returned from the club the FREE movies on demand were nice, they have a pretty big selection available of recent movies!

Check out went quick and smoothly, and I will be here again sometime in the future!

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same so not really a big matter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

2,578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is perfect for a city break - the modern efficient design worked brilliantly for our needs - very clean and modern, comfy bed, great bar/food open all the time - with great coffee, and incredibly helpful staff.

I don't imagine it would be everyone's cup of tea, make sure you are clear on the location, it is not central but quite far out (we didn't have a problem with this as we hired bikes from Black Bikes just up the road - actually this was a brilliant addition to our holiday), also the small 'pod' style rooms mean showering and going to the loo with screens around you - very little privacy, again which were not too much of an issue for us, but it might be a bit of a passion killer for a first weekend away with someone!!!

The important things are done well, and the communal areas feel fresh and modern, it's the perfect combination of price and modern utility in our eyes - great for a long weekend. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

the concept is a really good idea and only a few minor complaints/observations:
toilets have a flushing problem ie they flush for hours unless you whack the flusher in a particular spot (found by trial and error)
shower handles very hard to use
wc and shower pods not very private-the London version is better!
lobby and public spaces are excellent
breakfast overpriced but coffee very good (there are breakfast options near A/Zuid train station)
location is good-beatrix park opposite is a pleasant surprise as is the residential area to the east and north

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rijkevorsel, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

While attending IBC I spent a couple of nights at CitizenM just around the corner of the RAI complex. Great bed & pillows, all bare necessities available, this is really a new hotel concept aimed at travelers wishing to pay only for those things an average traveler might need.. No extra fees for yadayadayada - just a good bed, nice breakfast, no fuss. 100% recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place was so awesome and a killer place to chill after running around the city. I recommend staying here. The #5 Tram is right outside and takes you into the city. If you would rather ride around the city on a bicycle (which is the best way to get around fast) there are places in front and on the side of the hotel to park and lock up your bike.

Room Tip: Book your room(s) online.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Where to start? If you are seeking elegance and snooty...this is not the place. If you want cool, chic, modern, great service then book this place. It is not in the downtown area but a short ride on tram 5 will get you there in no time. The modern black red quirky is a fun welcome. The bar never closes and the convenience store type food is there if you need. The rooms are not large. They are as wide as your bed, which occupies the entire far end of the room. The ultra cool mood pod toilet and shower add fun. There is even a stuffed animal on the bed. If you want a place to host meetings, this isn't it. If you want a fun place for two friends, a couple, then then this is great. I would not stay here with kids as it isn't really a kid friendly place. The shower and toilet have frosted glass and there is a sheer curtain to help separate but unless you are comfortable with your roomie....you might want to book another place as its alllll in the room with no doors. This was almost like an ultra chic backpack hostel...for those of us that backpacked Europe once upon a time and now want an eclectic fun reasonable place to lay our heads on another journey. They even have two different shower gels for you to choose from. Oh and the breakfast they offer is worth the 11 euros as there is nothing else around the place really...you can eat it ANY' time during the day you wish and the breads are to die for good and fresh. Not only will we return to this property but we cannot wait for the Paris and NY properties to open as it will be our choice bar none...we are even swinging by the London one just in case we want to stay in town or have too many guests to house at our place. Five stars, two thumbs up...readers choice....I understand why....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

So we rock up to CitizenM and like how close and easy it was to get there. You walk in and WoW... It looks modern and contemporary. But then the novelty wears off.
In basic terms, rooms are too small, rooms have little privacy, rooms have no storage. Oh yeah, the toilet doesn't stop flushing itself and kept us up a few nights.
Amsterdam is a very special city with lots to see. As usual, I did my research on trip advisor for excellent places to stay. I feel I should have researched a bit better because I could have got better value elsewhere. For the sake of a bit of extra euro, I could have stayed at a 5 star.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to citizenM Amsterdam? Share your experiences!