“trendy and cozy hotel i ever stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added citizenM Amsterdam to your Saves list
citizenM Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinses Irenestraat 30, 1077WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Announcement
Become a citizen!
Ranked #33 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Jakarta, Indonesia
“trendy and cozy hotel i ever stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

love this hotel because very trendy and cozy. to go to this hotel from main station in amsterdam, we using trem no 5 (if its your first time to amsterdam, ask people/information where is the location of trem 5). from main station to citizen hotel around 25 minutes using trem.stop in prinses irenestraat, its in front of that hotel. you can buy food for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner in this hotel. they have cozy restourant inside hotel with reasonable price. i like their milk chocolate..yummy. room is clean and comfort but the bathroom is transparant:) so not suitable for family with kids. this hotel have good service and they have computer in lobby with free wifi. this hotel very good for traveler.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

2,586 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Since the arrival with the 3 Auto Check-in machine until they use of the word "citizen" for the guest once you get to the lobby and take a look around you will realize you are in a different place.
The staff is friendly and professional, the hotel decoration is trendy and cozy, the rooms are small but well distributed, the bed is huge and confortable like no other
The breakfast is expensive but you have the choice to dont take it and have it in other place
There are plenty of details to enjoy like the quotes on the corridors, the messages in the room and the organic tea available at the lobby

I'm so coming back to this hotel next time in amaterdam

• Stayed July 2012
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in late June in room 501. We absolutely loved this hotel! The beds are very comfortable and the room design is very unique. The staff was great and even gave us a complimentary cocktail because we were celebrating our anniversary. Although the location is a bit far from the center of the city, we enjoyed renting bikes down the street and riding them like the locals to explore the city. Our room had a great view on the top floor of the WTC and business district that is nearby. We would definitely stay here again and will recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: We loved the view from room 501 - it is on the top floor on the corner facing the business district.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

my boyfriend and i stayed 3 nights in this hotel and loved every minute of it.The hotel is situated just a short 5 minute walk from the train station and was easy to find. when we got to the hotel the staff helped us check in and answered any questions we had. When we got to the room it was spotless and the cleaners done an excellent job to keep it that way by replacing our towels, bed linen and even our hand soap each day. The room although it was small was very cosy and offered many english tv channels and over 50 movies to watch which made us feel even more at home.the best thing about the room has to be the waterfall shower which was amazing. Another positive aspect of this hotel is the distance to the tram stops which made it easy to get into the city, however the hotel is about 20 minute tram ride from the centre which was a slight downside but did not affect our trip. The only negative thing i can say about this hotel is the fact that we had to go into the staff quarters in order to iron our cloths each day. This aside i would still reccommend this hotel to anyone going amsterdam.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

i stayed here for three nights and enjoyed every minute of my stay. the bed in the rooms is very big and comfy. everything in the room is automatic and you can control everything with a remote-controller. the location is ok. it is very near to the train station, bus stop, and tram. also the staff is very nice and friendly. would stay there again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed 3 nights recently

Positives
- Free fast wifi
- Free movies on demand
- Tram no 5 outside hotel runs to town every 10-15
- Next to Amsterdam Zuid station so will take 10 mins on train back to Schipol Airport
- every single room has the same layout so you will not benefit from higher floors etc
- Free international and local calls using hotel phone
- Staff are friendly and efficient

Negatives
- Guest comfort is compromised by the hotel's attempt to save space
- The toilet doors didnt' shut properly and when they do shut its completely claustraphobic.
- No separation between toilet and bed so you felt like you were sleeping next to the toilet
- Toilet didn't flush properly
- No ability to check in early without incurring hefty charges
- Food overpriced - 9 EUR for a premade pasta. Although this is a good price for say 2am and will save you a run into town its not good value for money
- Cleaners will not change your sheets for the duration of your stay
- The shower smells very damp. For some strange reason when you first step out of the cubicle there will be a very very cold draft! and you will freeze for about 5 minutes. quite uncomfortable.
- Room feels cold and unwelcoming - sacrificed comfort and coziness for style and modernity
- Only one pillow each. Uncomfortable when watching TV. Couldnt figure out how to request for extra
- Tiny tiny bin hidden away

Overall I'm sure not sure the negatives balance the positives... I can see what the hotel is trying to do but to sacrifice comfort and the "home away from home" feel is not worth the efficiency points gained.

Tip: go downstairs to the lobby toilet if you need privacy in your room or you are not comfortable going right in front of your partner

Room Tip: All rooms have the same layout
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
citizenDiego, at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Hi "ach0087",

We take seriously all feedback from our guests. If bringing to our attention any issue during the stay, we are able to followup and turn it around quickly so that you can enjoy your time in Amsterdam and have a pleasant experience.

Commenting your observations:
- There are 2 extra pillows available in the large drawer under the bed while the phone in the room can put you in touch with an Ambassador, who is available 24/7 to assist with anything concerning your stay.
- During each stay, bed linen is exchanged every other day, unless stained after 1 night or requested to an ambassador. We believe this is hygienic, and fair to the environment.
- citizenM believes in no hidden costs, and not charging extra for services that not everybody needs. Check-in time is 2PM however, upon availability, is our policy to apply 19.95 EUR for an early check-in. Extra HK personnel is needed to clean rooms to be available at an earlier time.

I will like checking personally about the toilet flush and smell in the shower as this should not happen, I apologize for these. Although our housekeeping and maintenance team check all rooms regularly, it could have overlooked in your room. If you like helping us to improve future guest's stay, please, inform our Ambassadors at the hotel write me directly at citizenDiego@citizenM.com and I will make sure to follow up.

All the best,
citizenDiego
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

There were so many things I loved about this place: the design, the friendly staff, the lobby, the free on demand movies...but because of some major problems I had, they seriously affected the things I did like and I simply cannot give this place a good rating. If it wasn't for the cool concept of the hotel, I'd give this place 0 stars.

First thing's first. A lot of the other negative reviews focus on the room design and my problems do not have to do with the hotel design, space or concept. I actually really liked the shower and toilet pods and the lighting.

Other pros:
- big square bed
- I like how everything is controlled by a central remote: the lights, the blinds, the TV, the temperature
- free on-demand movies (including adult movies if you're into that)
- the staff are overall welcoming, friendly, and helpful (except for one member, who will be mentioned in the cons list)

Cons:
- Location: we arrived on a day when it was pouring rain and we happened to take the wrong exit out of the metro and were left wandering around for WAY too long trying to find this place (not a fault of the hotel). It was just a very bad first impression. Once we knew where it was, it wasn't difficult to navigate, but it is still very far from Amsterdam (and I like staying out of the city center - see all my other reviews) and in a very lacklustre location. Lots of tall officer towers around. When we asked if there were any places to eat around the neighbourhood, a staff member said no, that you had to go into the city - that's how isolated this place is. (There is a Wagamama by the train station).
- Temperature control: It was cold and raining for the 4 days we were in Amsterdam and our room was freezing. The highest temperature the room can be set at is 23C (about 73F) and I was still cold all the time. My boyfriend went to ask if anything could be done about this and they said no, that 23C is indeed the highest and that they'd bring me an extra blanket which they did about an hour later. I can't imagine what this place is like in the winter. It was way too cold for me in the summer. Imagine coming back to a freezing room after a day of wandering in the cold and the rain. Not pleasant. I had to keep taking showers to keep my body temperature up.
- DO NOT EAT THE CANTEEN FOOD. The first night we arrived, we were quite enamoured by the canteen. They had sushi, sandwiches and salads. I inspected the sushi quite closely because I wanted to make sure it was good. It tasted ok (rice was too mushy) but overall what you'd expect. The next day, I noticed the exact same sushi and salads sitting in the canteen. Every day the numbers just dwindled...they weren't putting fresh food out. The 2nd night, I had a fruit bowl instead and it did not sit well with me. Needless to say, I was up all night writhing in pain. On the day we left, I took a look at the food selection again and it was the EXACT SAME items from the day we arrived. I can't believe they just leave food sitting on the shelf for 24 hours a day just waiting until some chump eats it up. Not cool.
- Wifi: soooooo slow. They don't have passwords so this could attribute to the speed. Even the computers downstairs are slow.
- The computer stations: They have 4 iMacs and a printer in the lobby. On our last night on our way in, we wanted to print out tickets for the Van Gogh museum. The printer wouldn't work, however, and when we asked a staff member, he said that it only worked with his computer. (Why would you leave the printer out and not even put a sign on it that says "Not working?") We tried to get into our email to open it up again but because the internet was so slow, hotmail would not open. After about 45 minutes, I had to go into the computer history and copy and paste the tickets into a different email account. We had more difficulties printing but eventually we got it. What should've taken 5 minutes took almost an hour and the whole point of pre-paid tickets is to save time waiting in line. What a waste of time.
- And my biggest complaint: the shower pod. Now, I know I said I liked the shower but this was only until our last night. On our last night, my boyfriend noticed that it started to flood a little bit in the inside. Because of the special draining system, when the water came up, so did an old used razor. It was disgusting and so unhygienic. The next morning on the day we were leaving, I noticed all my clothes were wet. I did not have a problem with the design of the room...until then. There was nowhere for me to hang or put my clothes so they had to go on the floor (the giant drawer under the bed was NOT working). They weren't even close to the shower but because it leaked in every direction (it's round), it got everywhere, including things that were in the rucksack by the bed (the size of the room became an issue when the shower leaked). The only dry pair of pants I had were my pajamas so I had to wear those around Amsterdam, Brussels, and back in London. When we checked out, I mentioned to the staff member that our shower leaked. He said he would look into getting it fixed right away and then he said, "Sorry." I was not happy and he was trying to assure me that he would get it fixed right away? What did I care? I was leaving in 10 seconds in my pajamas.

I left extremely angry and unsatisfied. The problem with a lot of design hotels is that they're all show. If you're going to install an innovative shower system in your hotel, you should make sure it works and that there aren't used razors floating by our feet. I feel like everything is show, from the slick-looking canteen with the disgusting food to the staff with painted on smiles who are happy to check you in but don't really care once you're on your way out.

For all the hassle that we experienced, this hotel was not worth our money and we won't be returning.

Room Tip: Do not eat the canteen food; if the drawer under your bed works, put your belongings in there.
citizenDiego, at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Hi "supascoopa4",

I'm equally disappointed about the issues you encountered during your stay, I completely understand and apologize for the experience, which doesn't represent our standard.

As you pointed out, citizenM was built in a new way, works in a new way. We removed all the unnecessary bits that we don't need in a hotel, and hotel room, and focussed on what modern travelers need. Although the room is small, it is functional, smart and has everything you need, a great bed, shower and some fun twists. I acknowledge we failed in providing these to you, the shower and room must be sparkling clean and must work properly, which didn't. Our housekeeping team was alerted about it, preventing from happening ever again.

Wi-Fi must be free but also fast and reliable, same for the printer, which should work properly. We have identified a higher-than-average use of bandwidth during the period you stayed with us, resulting in the slow speed. This should not have happened.

As for the canteenM, the food & beverage options are the same however always replaced. Twice daily, hey are delivered at the hotel and stored appropriately, to be refilled in the vitrines.

All that said, I still think we could change your perception about us. Please, feel free writing me directly via citizenDiego@citizenM.com and I will make sure to follow up and make it up for the experience you had. Sorry again we let you down.

All the best,
citizenDiego

Been to citizenM Amsterdam? Share your experiences!